A little help please - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-10-2005, 10:59 PM

Whenever the subject of me becoming a vegetarian in a conversation my best friend and I are having, she always corners me on how it's pointless. I know it's not, it's very important.

She always gets me with the 'oh plants could have feelings' and the 'well you might as well eat meat if you're going to eat plants'.

I also would like to say I do eat some meat that is free range/wildcaught and sometimes she gets me with that too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-10-2005, 11:12 PM
Veggie Regular

If she says the "plants have feelings" thing again, tell her that while it's doubtful they have feelings, it's definite that animals do. Plus, you do have to eat something. I'd be tempted to just ignore any further stupid comments.

Are you working on eliminating the free range meat?
#3 Old 05-10-2005, 11:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, its doubtful that plants have feelings, incredibly doubtful that they "feel pain", almost impossible that they would remember their pain.

However, she can easily get you on the fact that you still eat meat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-10-2005, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elena99 View Post

If she says the "plants have feelings" thing again, tell her that while it's doubtful they have feelings, it's definite that animals do. Plus, you do have to eat something. I'd be tempted to just ignore any further stupid comments.

Are you working on eliminating the free range meat?

Yeah, I am. I'm just trying to get my parents over the initial shock that I've become vegetarian.
#5 Old 05-10-2005, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeTassadar View Post

Well, its doubtful that plants have feelings, incredibly doubtful that they "feel pain", almost impossible that they would remember their pain.

However, she can easily get you on the fact that you still eat meat.

Yeah...that's true. Thanks.^^
#6 Old 05-10-2005, 11:27 PM
Veggie Regular

when people say the "plants have feelings" thing to me, i say one of the following things.

-"some people might believe that, but *i* don't and i doubt you do either... so why did you say it?"

"so, you're saying you'd feel roughly the same way about slitting your dog's throat as you would about mowing your lawn? oh, okay, *there's* a theory that makes sense!"

-"does the fact that plants didn't evolve to run, fly, or swim away from someone meaning to harvest them tell you anything?"
#7 Old 05-10-2005, 11:31 PM
Beginner

Show me the plants' central nervous system and then I'll believe you
#8 Old 05-10-2005, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac wine View Post

when people say the "plants have feelings" thing to me, i say one of the following things.

-"some people might believe that, but *i* don't and i doubt you do either... so why did you say it?"

"so, you're saying you'd feel roughly the same way about slitting your dog's throat as you would about mowing your lawn? oh, okay, *there's* a theory that makes sense!"

-"does the fact that plants didn't evolve to run, fly, or swim away from someone meaning to harvest them tell you anything?"

She's my best friend. I couldn't say anything like that to her. If she gets too determined however, then those are perfect, thanks a bunch!^^
#9 Old 05-10-2005, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrina View Post

Show me the plants' central nervous system and then I'll believe you

That's a lot less harsh. Thanks.
#10 Old 05-10-2005, 11:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiesrock View Post

She's my best friend. I couldn't say anything like that to her. If she gets too determined however, then those are perfect, thanks a bunch!^^

hehehe. i know. whenever i say them, i always do so with a smile and a laugh so the person knows i'm trying to "lighten things up" not just to be pesky. but i wouldn't want to say them to a friend either. sometimes i just "say them" in my head and change the subject.
#11 Old 05-11-2005, 09:11 AM

Quote:

I also would like to say I do eat some meat that is free range/wildcaught and sometimes she gets me with that too.

So let me get this right You eat meat, but youre a vegetarian?

You know, even if she is your best friend that doesnt mean you shouldnt be a bit harsh with her. From what I can tell shes being annoying and harsh to you, so why not return the favor?
#12 Old 05-11-2005, 09:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

There's your problem.

Cut the meat entirely and she'll have nothing to get you on.
#13 Old 05-11-2005, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Populace View Post

So let me get this right You eat meat, but youre a vegetarian?

You know, even if she is your best friend that doesnt mean you shouldnt be a bit harsh with her. From what I can tell shes being annoying and harsh to you, so why not return the favor?

I'm just transitioning. I watch what type of meat it is.

She can be harsh at times, so I'll use the harsh comebacks then. They're completely unnecassary otherwise.
#14 Old 05-11-2005, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac wine View Post

hehehe. i know. whenever i say them, i always do so with a smile and a laugh so the person knows i'm trying to "lighten things up" not just to be pesky. but i wouldn't want to say them to a friend either. sometimes i just "say them" in my head and change the subject.

That could work too.
#15 Old 05-12-2005, 09:15 PM
Veggie Regular

After being really curious and doing some online research, I personally believe it is likely that plants feel some type of "pain" though not in necessarily the same sense of the pain animals feel. Probably closer to what an oyster goes through when someone kills it. It does depend on how you define pain, though. Plants are fascinating organisms..I wish people wouldn't dismiss thier potential so quickly.

But anywho...I still eat them. And after some discussions with people my new responce is that yes, its possible they feel pain. But:

A) I don't believe its possible to torture a plant the same way you can torture an animal...in order for it to grow into a healthy plant you want to eat-you have to give it everything it needs (ie. sun, water, etc.) They cant go through the same kind of mental, emotional and physical torture animals like chickens, cattle, pigs, etc go through. If you "torture" a plant by denying it water or sunlight..it will get yellow and wilty and icky and you cant eat it.

B) Everything has to take life in order to survive. How its done is important...things like respect and gratitude for the life your taking. I, personally, choose to take the life of plants because its the best alternative to contributing to animal torture (that and meat mostly just grosses me out anyways..and plants are healthier for you) But I still am grateful and respectful for the sacrifice.

C) Like I said before...if they do indeed feel "pain" I dont think its really in the same manner that we do. Its likely more of a "this is not good for my well-being" basic "computer-type" responce then a "Holy mother of God, why?!?"

However, I'm not a fan of the C argument...its the same thing a lot of people used to (and still do) say about animals.
#16 Old 05-12-2005, 09:34 PM
Veggie Regular

What if you just said that you don't want to discuss it?
#17 Old 05-14-2005, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suki_Eulalie View Post

After being really curious and doing some online research, I personally believe it is likely that plants feel some type of "pain" though not in necessarily the same sense of the pain animals feel. Probably closer to what an oyster goes through when someone kills it. It does depend on how you define pain, though. Plants are fascinating organisms..I wish people wouldn't dismiss thier potential so quickly.

But anywho...I still eat them. And after some discussions with people my new responce is that yes, its possible they feel pain. But:

A) I don't believe its possible to torture a plant the same way you can torture an animal...in order for it to grow into a healthy plant you want to eat-you have to give it everything it needs (ie. sun, water, etc.) They cant go through the same kind of mental, emotional and physical torture animals like chickens, cattle, pigs, etc go through. If you "torture" a plant by denying it water or sunlight..it will get yellow and wilty and icky and you cant eat it.

B) Everything has to take life in order to survive. How its done is important...things like respect and gratitude for the life your taking. I, personally, choose to take the life of plants because its the best alternative to contributing to animal torture (that and meat mostly just grosses me out anyways..and plants are healthier for you) But I still am grateful and respectful for the sacrifice.

C) Like I said before...if they do indeed feel "pain" I dont think its really in the same manner that we do. Its likely more of a "this is not good for my well-being" basic "computer-type" responce then a "Holy mother of God, why?!?"

However, I'm not a fan of the C argument...its the same thing a lot of people used to (and still do) say about animals.

Thanks for posting, your opinion is really interesting.
#18 Old 05-14-2005, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia View Post

What if you just said that you don't want to discuss it?

That'd be like forfeiting. Besides, I want to be open with my opinions. Especially something as important as this.
#19 Old 05-14-2005, 09:07 AM

Quote:

That'd be like forfeiting. Besides, I want to be open with my opinions. Especially something as important as this.

I can understand that, but sometimes it gets a little old doing that. It seems like every time I tell a person Im a vegan they suddenly become Americas Number1 Health Consultant or something.

Ive started printing out all of the reasons Im vegan (as well as all of the benefits) on paper. Its going to be funny handing a big stack of paper to someone next time they ask me why Im a vegan.
#20 Old 05-14-2005, 09:12 AM
Veggie Regular

"so, you're saying you'd feel roughly the same way about slitting your dog's throat as you would about mowing your lawn? " <<< i like that one
#21 Old 05-14-2005, 10:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Even if they do feel pain, vegetarians consume less plants over all because for every ten calories that go into an animal roughly only one comes out in the form of meat.
#22 Old 05-14-2005, 12:46 PM

Wow, you all are a lot more respectful and nice than I am. Over the last 5.5 years, when I've gotten those kinds of comments, I just roll my eyes and say, "Don't be stupid." If someone cannot respect my decision to be a vegetarian, then I'm not going to dignify such comments with an answer. As someone upthread said, you have to eat something!
#23 Old 05-14-2005, 12:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kira View Post

Wow, you all are a lot more respectful and nice than I am.

Thank you, Kira we try
#24 Old 05-15-2005, 01:54 PM

Thanks a lot you guys, you're comments are very helpful. And I have decided to go no meat at all!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page