Washing omnivores’ dishes - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-10-2005, 06:53 PM

Yesterday my mom decided that everyone in our house (excluding her) has to have two dish days a week (except for my little brother, he only has one day). Before it was my older brother doing dishes everyday, and that was his only chore. I havent washed everyones dishes since I went vegan (or vegetarian, for that matter) and it was disgusting. We do have a dishwasher, but I cant just put every dish in it the way it is. I have to rinse and scrub all of the crusted crap out of the dishes first, and I really, really dont want to have to touch and deal with that sort of thing. I know that even if I ask no one in my family will bother rinsing out their own dishes.

This is basically just a rant, but if anyone has any suggestions or anything Id really appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-10-2005, 06:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Gloves or a dishwand, so you don't have to make actual contact?
#3 Old 05-10-2005, 07:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Populace View Post

Yesterday my mom decided that everyone in our house (excluding her) has to have two dish days a week (except for my little brother, he only has one day). Before it was my older brother doing dishes everyday, and that was his only chore. I havent washed everyones dishes since I went vegan (or vegetarian, for that matter) and it was disgusting. We do have a dishwasher, but I cant just put every dish in it the way it is. I have to rinse and scrub all of the crusted crap out of the dishes first, and I really, really dont want to have to touch and deal with that sort of thing. I know that even if I ask no one in my family will bother rinsing out their own dishes.

This is basically just a rant, but if anyone has any suggestions or anything Id really appreciate it.

You are in the age of rebellion! So...rebel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-10-2005, 07:06 PM
Veggie Regular

As toast said, use gloves..

or maybe there is a different chore you could do more of instead?
#5 Old 05-10-2005, 07:11 PM

Gloves would be good But it'd still make me gag.

My mom seems pretty anal about all of this. When shes this anal pretty much nothing is going to change her mind about it.

I suppose I could try the whole rebelling thing. I dont think Ive ever flat out refused to do something shes told me to before. It would be worth doing just to see what her reaction would be.
#6 Old 05-10-2005, 07:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Could you trade chores with someone else in the family? You do one of their other chores if they wash dishes on your nights?
#7 Old 05-10-2005, 07:31 PM

Thats a good idea, but I dont know if anyone would go for it.

The hardest chore in the house is dishes, as thats what usually gets my mom mad if it isnt done. Other stuff she only really makes us do every 3-4 days.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. If I have to continue doing dishes Ill definitely demand a pair of rubber gloves.
#8 Old 05-10-2005, 07:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Ask your mom to add another bit to it; everyone has to rinse/clean off their plates after eating. In other words, they can't just chuck a plate with sauce, two peas and a quarter of a burger on the table, they have to scrape the leftovers into the compost/garbage, then rinse the plate a little. This will make washing easier for everyone.
#9 Old 05-10-2005, 08:25 PM
Banned

What about you younger siblings; could they be conned to perform your dishwashing chore for you for minimal payment?
#10 Old 05-10-2005, 08:35 PM
Veggie Regular

keep the sink full of water and let the dishes soak before loading them. that way, you don't really have to scrub.

though my dishwashing method is shove everything in the dishwasher -- if it doesn't come out clean the first time... run it through again!

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#11 Old 05-10-2005, 09:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Gloves are good. And the possibility of trading chores may work, too -- you could maybe offer to be the sole bathroom cleaner? I don't know anyone who likes cleaning bathrooms, so that may be enough to sway people.
#12 Old 05-10-2005, 09:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Heck no I would never wash an omnivore's* dishes. That's just gross, washing dishes. Tell your mom to do what I do and only buy paper and plastic and throw everything away after every use.

(* or a vegetarians, or a vegans, or my own)
#13 Old 05-10-2005, 09:36 PM
Veggie Regular

You can come do my dishes any day.
#14 Old 05-10-2005, 09:44 PM
Veggie Regular

If you can't get out of it just grit your teeth and do a really bad job, in the end they'll prefer you not to bother!

Sound advice for life right there
#15 Old 05-10-2005, 09:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

Heck no I would never wash an omnivore's* dishes. That's just gross, washing dishes. Tell your mom to do what I do and only buy paper and plastic and throw everything away after every use.

(* or a vegetarians, or a vegans, or my own)

Doesn't that just make a LOT of garbage to throw out? Plus it gets expensive with a big family.
#16 Old 05-10-2005, 09:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Ummm... disposable dishes just doesn't seem to be the answer. It's entirely too wasteful (both financially and environmentally).
#17 Old 05-10-2005, 09:50 PM

Try to reason with her and if that doesnt work do a little rebelling. Theres a first time for everything.

I think the paper/plastic idea is a good one. Better yet, you can be the one to use paper plates and leave your siblings to clean their own nasty muck. Ive use paper plates on a daily basis for over a year just because its so much easier than messing with the dishes.

Edit: I know my solution isnt as environmentally friendly as I would like, but until my house gets a better dish washer its going to have to be. I have been using plastic plates and washing them by hand, then using them again. Better yet is when I dont have to use plates at all.
#18 Old 05-10-2005, 10:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Maybe everyone could just wash their own dishes when they're done with them?

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#19 Old 05-10-2005, 10:54 PM
Veggie Regular

I know it's gross, but this may be one of the things you are obliged to do as part of the family. I never made an issue out of it in my family, although once in awhile, if a pot or pan or something was really greasy and gross, I would ask my omni sister if she would wash that out for me.

My mom hardly ever asked me to help prepare food with meat in it. Of course, I would do things like pull casseroles and such out of the oven if needed, but the handling of meat was done by others. I helped out in plenty of other ways, too.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#20 Old 05-11-2005, 05:38 AM

This thread has made me realise how lucky I am. I don't think I've had to wash an omni dish once in my 17 years of veggieness.
#21 Old 05-11-2005, 05:47 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Just wash your own dishes and forget about the rest. If people want you to wash their dishes they have to eat veggie. That or eat of dirty plates.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#22 Old 05-11-2005, 06:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

Just wash your own dishes and forget about the rest. If people want you to wash their dishes they have to eat veggie. That or eat of dirty plates.

Not very conducive to harmonious family life

Trading chores with someone else sounds like the go....or wear gloves.
#23 Old 05-11-2005, 06:11 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

You gotta start sticking up for yourself sometimes. And since when is family life ever harmonious anyway?

#24 Old 05-11-2005, 06:50 AM
Veggie Regular

OT: Thank you for that well-placed apostrophe in the title, Good Populace.
#25 Old 05-11-2005, 07:21 AM
Banned

Sometimes, younger siblings can even be threatened to perform your chores for you. Try to catch them doing something they shouldn't be doing and bribe them.

Anyway, if you go the glove route, just be sure to dispose of them in an incinerator of some sort after use.
#26 Old 05-11-2005, 07:32 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

I really should stop myself from posting in threads about how to deal with parents. I dealt by fighting like a wildcat and then leaving home at 16. If you follow my advice that's where it might get you. So, um, yeah. Don't follow my advice.

#27 Old 05-11-2005, 08:31 AM
Veggie Regular

My job is cleaning out the cat box.

wanna trade?
#28 Old 05-11-2005, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummusisyummus View Post

You can come do my dishes any day.

Actually, if I could convince mom to give you my grocery money and I ate at your house then that would be good for both of us. I wouldnt have to clean up after our slobby siblings, and you would probably never have to do dishes again (because wonderful me would be doing them). But I already tried getting mom to give you my grocery money, and she pretty much blew me off. I'll just have to annoy her more about it.

Quote:
What about you younger siblings; could they be conned to perform your dishwashing chore for you for minimal payment?

Quote:
Sometimes, younger siblings can even be threatened to perform your chores for you. Try to catch them doing something they shouldn't be doing and bribe them.

I only have one younger sibling, and hes a little crap. He wont do dishes unless you annoy him for an hour, or you pay him $20.

Plus hes going to be bigger and taller then me in about a year, so Id like to stay on his good side. Blackmailing is out of the question. Besides, he hardly ever does anything bad enough that I could blackmail him with.

Trading Work Ive already asked an older sister, and she said maybe after finals week.

People doing their own dishes/people scraping and cleaning their own dishes- Not going to happen. My mom has made rules like everyone has to scrape their own dishes off and every does it for about a week before stopping.

Trying to reason with my mom/rebelling against my mom- Shes not a reasonable person at all. Last night when I told her I wanted rubber gloves she told me I could be a vegan, but I couldnt be eccentric about it.

If I rebelled Id probably be kicked out.
#29 Old 05-11-2005, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4EverGrounded View Post

My job is cleaning out the cat box.

wanna trade?

I already clean a cat box, but I dont think Id mind doing another one if it meant I didnt have to do dishes anymore.
#30 Old 05-11-2005, 09:34 AM
Veggie Regular

I think that as a part of a family, and while living with your parents, you are better off to participate in the chores. You can't be expected to not contribute just because your beliefs are different. Rubber gloves would be a great solution, and I don't mind mind washing my omni hubby's dishes at all ( cause I love him, and we take turns, he often jumps up to do the dishes when I am still eating ) but I am sure to scrape / rinse the dishes really well first to remove most of everything.

And just think, once you are out on your own, you won't have to do it ever again if you don't want to!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page