#31 Old 05-11-2005, 05:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Get the big yellow gloves! Like the ones in this picture:

http://www.acclaimimages.com/_galler...2523-3250.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 05-14-2005, 06:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Yes why doesn't everyone just wash their own dishes? This seems like the most fair arrangement. I wash my dishes as soon as I finish eating off of them. My brother is a total slob though so my mom washes his as well as hers. But if you can get everyone to follow it, I think the washing your own dishes thing is a good idea.
#33 Old 05-14-2005, 07:41 AM
Banned

Does the not wanting to wash an omnivore's dishes extend to the dishes they have used for eating veg*n food? Or is it only when their dishes have had meat on them?

What about the vegans here.... who wants to wash vegetarian dishes that have had cheese and/or egg? Ewwwwwwww! Vegetarians should wash their own damn dishes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 05-14-2005, 08:59 AM

I dont like washing their dishes when theres meat, milk, cheese, etc. on them. Most of the time people havent eaten all of the food, so theres parts of meat still on the plate that I need to scrape off.

Everyone in my house is a lazy slob. There is no chance of everyone just doing their own dishes.
#35 Old 05-14-2005, 09:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Populace View Post

Trying to reason with my mom/rebelling against my mom- Shes not a reasonable person at all. Last night when I told her I wanted rubber gloves she told me I could be a vegan, but I couldnt be eccentric about it.

That's absolutely ridiculous.
#36 Old 05-14-2005, 02:39 PM

I have to wash dishes for my grandmother sometimes, and she eats meat on occasion. I use gloves though. Unfortunately I can't say "wash your own dishes" as she's polio stricken and can't do it herself.
#37 Old 05-14-2005, 02:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurmudgeon View Post

Does the not wanting to wash an omnivore's dishes extend to the dishes they have used for eating veg*n food? Or is it only when their dishes have had meat on them?

What about the vegans here.... who wants to wash vegetarian dishes that have had cheese and/or egg? Ewwwwwwww! Vegetarians should wash their own damn dishes.

I was wondering about cleaning the toilet after an omni has used it.

As for the gloves, a lot of non vegans wackos where gloves to wash dishes.
#38 Old 05-14-2005, 02:51 PM
Veggie Regular

I found a mug stuck way in the back of my fridge with meat drippings in it. It must have been there for years (yeah, I clean out my fridge now and then! but this was way way in the back. )

Anyhow, I scraped the crap out of it into the trash (it smelt foul!) rinsed it out with lots of scalding hot water, and put it in the dishwasher. When I took it out, I gave it a sniff. It still smells of dead things. I am going to run it through one more time, and if that doesn't clear the smell I'm throwing it away.

Not only do I not want to wash meaty dishes I'm not sure I even want to keep ones that have been meat-ified
#39 Old 05-14-2005, 03:48 PM

We sometimes have to do what it takes to make a family work as a unit. Everyone had great advice about the gloves and also about your family throwing away their remnants before placing a dish in the sink.

I'm the wife and Mom of meateaters therefore I have to cook for them as well as do the dishes--actually, I don't have to, I choose to.

We take care of each other and are tolerant and respectful of each of our choices.

I'm sure you'll find a peaceful solution--good luck
#40 Old 05-15-2005, 10:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Could you just get your own gloves? If you get a pair of the really heavy yellow ones they should last a long time.
#41 Old 05-15-2005, 10:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Even living in my very own house, I occasionally wash a dish that has a built-up meat residue on it. It's a lot like cleaning the toilet, scooping up the dog mess, or moving the old bags of lawn clipping out by the curb. The job's disgusting, but it has to be done. The good news is that when you move out on your own one day and get a place that is truly all your own, you don't need to have one morsel of non-vegan food in your home if you don't desire it. (I tend to let people do as they wish in my house as long as they're not destroying the house or hurting each other. Most people are a bit stricter than I am.) One day you will be out on your own. Just remember that. Then you won't have to clean your toilet, but boy it'll get di-gusting.

Froggy

PS. Thanks for helping your mother out around the house. We adults need all the help we can get. (Seriously!)

Quote:

Yesterday my mom decided that everyone in our house (excluding her) has to have two dish days a week (except for my little brother, he only has one day). Before it was my older brother doing dishes everyday, and that was his only chore. I havent washed everyones dishes since I went vegan (or vegetarian, for that matter) and it was disgusting. We do have a dishwasher, but I cant just put every dish in it the way it is. I have to rinse and scrub all of the crusted crap out of the dishes first, and I really, really dont want to have to touch and deal with that sort of thing. I know that even if I ask no one in my family will bother rinsing out their own dishes.

This is basically just a rant, but if anyone has any suggestions or anything Id really appreciate it.

#42 Old 05-15-2005, 10:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

though my dishwashing method is shove everything in the dishwasher -- if it doesn't come out clean the first time... run it through again!

Rabid! Water waste -- not good for the environment.
#43 Old 05-15-2005, 10:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Trying to reason with my mom/rebelling against my mom- Shes not a reasonable person at all. Last night when I told her I wanted rubber gloves she told me I could be a vegan, but I couldnt be eccentric about it.

(*sigh*) Rubber gloves is such a good idea.
#44 Old 05-15-2005, 12:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

PS. Thanks for helping your mother out around the house. We adults need all the help we can get. (Seriously!)

LOVE IT!! Could you say that to a couple kids I happen to know?

(I appreciate the open-mindedness, by the way - very refreshing!!)
#45 Old 05-15-2005, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

Okay. She doesnt really ever clean, though, but I guess Im still helping her out. Or something.

Thanks for all of the suggestions, people. Ill get some rubber gloves, as no one in my family is going to start doing their own dishes anytime soon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page