Are you sensitive about rennet? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-10-2005, 12:42 PM
Beginner

Would you eat food with cheese if you weren't sure it was vegetarian?

I say this because I was at a family gathering on Sunday and was offered a slice of cheese pizza. I turned it down as I didn't know whether it was veggie or not and was questioned as to why. I explained about the clotting agent rennet and how it can be derived from either animal or vegetable sources. My cousin was quite shocked and surprised at how careful I have to be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-10-2005, 01:36 PM
Veggie Regular

If I dont know, I don't eat
#3 Old 05-10-2005, 01:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't eat cheese anymore, but when I did I always checked for rennet and turned down food with cheese if I wasn't sure. People used to roll their eyes and call me difficult when I explained why, and I was known as insanely strict at the time.

Now I'm vegan but if I'm at someone's house and they have something for me which they think is vegan but it actually has whey or something, I'll eat it anyways. They always ask if it's vegan and I explain it to them. I'm now known as very reasonable and easy to accomodate.

Humans are silly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-11-2005, 08:12 PM
Veggie Regular

No I don't pay attention to that. I don't eat dairy much anyway, so it isn't a big deal to me.
#5 Old 05-11-2005, 10:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I didn't worry about rennet when I was l/o.
#6 Old 05-11-2005, 11:52 PM
Veggie Regular

No, I am not concerned with the source of the enzymes in cheese that I purchase.

(Waits for sarcastic comments from K or I)
#7 Old 05-12-2005, 12:19 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Which K?

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#8 Old 05-12-2005, 12:20 AM
Veggie Regular

the other one. I forget about you.
#9 Old 05-12-2005, 12:30 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Awww... damn! I wanted to say something sarcastic, too!

As to the OP's question, when I was o-l-veg I did check for rennet. If I was unsure, I just didn't eat it. But then, I grew up largely without cow dairy so avoiding cheese was never a big issue for me.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#10 Old 05-12-2005, 04:53 AM
Veggie Regular

I am very sensitive about rennet. I don't eat anything at all that I'm not sure about.
#11 Old 05-12-2005, 06:53 AM

I've always been pretty careful about it, but I'm starting to question my reasons. I suppose it comes down to why you're veggie in the first place - do you hope to achieve something, or are you just being true to the way you feel?

Personally, I don't think being veggie or vegan is ever gonna change the world, so I see it as being more about drawing a personal moral line regarding what you feel comfortable with. I never by anything that isn't 100% veggie when I can see the label, but I'm wondering how important it is to me to stick to this outside the home. I mean, it ain't gonna change the world or anything, so it's just a matter of whether I feel comfortable with eating things that might contain bits of dead animal. I really don't know. Everything used to seem really black and white to me, but these days I'm not so clear.
#12 Old 05-12-2005, 08:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Atomik, I don't worry about rennet because it's a byproduct of the slaughter industry that would otherwise have no use. I don't worry about gelatin for the same reason. Sometimes I'll avoid gelatin for symbolic reasons, but usually I'm not concerned with avoiding gelatin because doing so will not save any animals. The same is even more true for rennet.

I'm not worried about chaning the world, but I am concerned with lessoning the demand for slaughtered animals. They say that the average omnivore consumes around 80 animals and fish every year, so you might not save the world, but you could be saving 80 animals from being bred for their meat. The less people buy meat, the fewer animals need to be raised for meat and the less animals there are suffering in factory-model farms.
#13 Old 05-12-2005, 12:15 PM
Banned

I try not to eat cheese at all, but if I do, it must be vegetarian rennet. I won't eat it if I don't know. I don't drink milk, either - the cheese is the last step to go (as is with most people.)
#14 Old 05-13-2005, 11:03 AM
Veggie Regular

i usually am but have eaten like pizza that im sure is not veg type... when i purchase cheese though it has to not have it and ill go for pizzas like papa johns that use non animal rennet too.
#15 Old 05-13-2005, 12:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't worry about it, although I notice that many less expensive brands of cheese are moving away from rennet whereas expensive (and extremely tasty) cheeses lik parmeggiano reggiano (sp? I tried) and gorgonzola still use rennet.
#16 Old 05-13-2005, 03:11 PM
Veggie Regular

At home, I don't eat cheese with rennet, but if I'm out and there isn't a way I can check for it (on something like pizza or other food at a restaurant), I don't worry about it.
#17 Old 05-13-2005, 03:18 PM
Veggie Regular

No, I don't worry about rennet in cheese.

However I won't buy cheese that I *know* was made with animal rennet.
#18 Old 05-13-2005, 04:17 PM

Mozzarella is usually vegetarian, it usually contains nothing but enzymes salt and milk, even better is fresh which is nothing but lemon juice milk and salt
#19 Old 05-13-2005, 11:30 PM
Veggie Regular

fyi..."enzymes" can be a spiffy way to say rennet/slaughterhouse bi-product. ie rennet is/can be an enzyme taken from slaughtered calf or hog stomach if it doesn't specify vegetable enzyme or vegetable rennet.

i don't worry about rennet, as i'm vegan, but never did as a vegetarian either.

i'm not trying to stir up trouble, but the way i see it buying cheese but making sure it doesn't have animal rennet is sort of like buying a fur coat, but making sure it is sewn together with synthetic threads. i.e. it kind of misses the point.

the majority of suffering lies in the dairy element of the cheese as it does in the fur element of a jacket. the coagulant in cheese (rennet), like the binding thread of a coat is not totally inconsequential (from an ethical boycott standpoint) but is certainly the much lesser of the two evils.
#20 Old 05-14-2005, 08:34 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm strict with what I can be - I won't buy or eat any cheese with rennet in it (same with produce that contatins gelatine). However, if I am out, I try and go for stuff that is labelled as veggie friendly to reduce the chances.

Most cheese in the uk is suitable for vegetarians though so I guess we are quite lucky over here.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page