My parents refuse to let me audition for printwork unless I start wearing leather - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-09-2005, 07:17 PM
Beginner

even my mother, who has otherwise been extremly supportive.

what do I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-09-2005, 07:20 PM
Veggie Regular

What's it to them if you wear leather or not?

I mean, I could understand a *little* if they felt you were lacking protein or something and wanted you to eat meat once a week out of concern for your health... at least it's out of concern, you know? But what benefit could you possibly derive from wearing leather?

And what is print work?
#3 Old 05-09-2005, 07:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Uh, this makes no sense whatsoever. Could you please elaborate?

meatless, print work is modeling for print ads that go in magazines, on billboards, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-09-2005, 07:45 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

That's just bizarre. Sorry, can't help you here. Maybe they think you will be limiting your choices by refusing to model leather?

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#5 Old 05-09-2005, 07:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by epski View Post

meatless, print work is modeling for print ads that go in magazines, on billboards, etc.

Since I'm a journalist I was thinking maybe it had something to do with the print media. Thanks epski.
#6 Old 05-09-2005, 09:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Tell them you won't share the profits when the dough starts rolling in. That'll learn them.

d
#7 Old 05-09-2005, 10:50 PM
Veggie Regular

How old are you? What does an audition for print work entail? Do you require your parents permission for this? Do you depend on them financially to do so?
#8 Old 05-10-2005, 07:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Ummm... do they want you to start wearing leather in your day-to-day life? Because that would just be obscenely ridiculous.

As far as if you should wear it while modeling, that's your choice. I know nothing about that business, so I have no idea what your situation would be if you refused to wear leather. I'm sure the biggest problem would come up with shoes.

So my question is... are they paying to get you started in this? Does your success or lack of success in any way have any bearing on them? Have you borrowed money from them (or are they financially supporting you)? Because if the answers are yes, then maybe they do have some say. And if you wouldn't get jobs because of your ethics, then maybe they have a valid concern. Which would mean that in order to stick to your ethics you'd have to wait until you're no longer tied to them to begin.

I would imagine that the people just starting out would have the least amount of choice. If the first time they tell you to wear something, you choose not to wear the shoes they've handed you, then do you think they'll waste their time arguing with some upstart they don't even know is good at her job yet? I dunno... it worries me a bit. I can actually kind of see where your parents are coming from (maybe). Sorry about that. But at the same time, I would let you try to do whatever you wanted on your own and hope that I was wrong. Maybe if you're able to address your parents' concerns in a calm way and then dispell them by doing some research or something, they'll no longer care. Good luck with that.
#9 Old 05-10-2005, 01:21 PM
Beginner

Buy fake leather shoes and tell them it's leather? If they are being so completely ridiculous I really don't see why you have to be honest with them.
#10 Old 05-10-2005, 02:35 PM
Veggie Regular

I work in casting and I can't for the life of me see a legitimate point to what your parents are asking you to do. The actual material your clothing is made out of when you audition is completely irrelevant. Even if leatherLIKE clothing was required, which is rare to say the least, pleather would certainly suffice. This seems like manipulation to me.

You could inquire with your local actors' union, even if you are not a member, to see if there are any regulations on this issue. That would fix your parents' wagon but good.

However, if you are interested in modelling and printwork there will no doubt come a time when you are offered a job shilling something you may not agree with and this might be a good time to hammer out exactly what that might be. Would you do a print ad for cigarettes, for example? I know many people who won't. Or for The Keg or something? Just a thought.
#11 Old 05-10-2005, 02:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Disobey them.
#12 Old 05-10-2005, 04:36 PM
Veggie Regular

gguru, I know you're posting elsewhere at VB these past couple of days. Would you mind responding to this thread again?

Otherwise, I know I'm done with it. Simply doesn't make any sense.
#13 Old 05-11-2005, 08:16 AM

Just do what you want, nothing they can do anyway, let them know that you're an individual who IS going to decide her own course in life, if they want a close relationship then be supportive of your choices, otherwise it'll just be a bit more distant relationship. It's all about power, take some for yourself.
#14 Old 05-11-2005, 12:34 PM
Veggie Regular

"My parents refuse to let me audition for printwork unless I start wearing leather"

that's so weird. I agree, it makes no sense. Are you going to be modelling for Wilson Leather? There must be another option. You need to put your foot down with your parents and let them know you just won't do it.
#15 Old 05-11-2005, 01:25 PM

*shakes head*

doesn't make any sense. no sense whatsoever. Could the OP please elaborate on this?
#16 Old 05-11-2005, 01:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Exactly what I was going to say, jenna.

We need waaaay more information than this before anyone can offer anything of use.

Is the OP talking about wearing leather in the regular wardrobe or wearing leather when the ad calls for it or...

#17 Old 05-11-2005, 03:58 PM
Veggie Regular

What is wrong with fake leather? Pleather. It's good stuff.... I like it.
#18 Old 05-11-2005, 04:24 PM
Veggie Regular

This couldn't have been a serious thread. Notice the OP has not returned. Let's let this one die.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page