VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   Vegetarian Support Forum (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/11-vegetarian-support-forum/)
-   -   Have you "given up" veganism? (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/11-vegetarian-support-forum/33532-have-you-given-up-veganism.html)

GhostUser 05-05-2005 05:56 PM

After reading a few threads on those that have a hard time at being vegan, I'm now curious about the percentage here who have had similar circumstances.

I've included the best answers I could think of, so please just answer as close to your situation as you can. Thanks!

Elena99 05-05-2005 06:01 PM

Once my transition was over, I did not go back to animal products.

thatoneguy 05-05-2005 06:05 PM

I tried veganism for about 2 weeks. Vegetarianism is a big enough battle for me right now...I may try veganism again.

Woops, I hit the wrong one...I meant to hit "Yes, I have and am currently lacto ovo but plan on going vegan again"

instg8r 05-05-2005 06:19 PM

what is lacto ovo again?

didnt somebody once use the term 'veganarian' - what is that ????

frenchie 05-05-2005 06:19 PM

I was vegan for about 2 years. When I got married, I found it difficult to be vegan while living with an omni who was totally unwavering. After 8 years of marriage, we have found a happy medium. It works for us well the way it is....I would like to try veganism again someday, but right now, raising a child as a vegetarian is a big enough challenge. If I try to go vegan right now, I know I will fail.....and will get no support, only grief from my family.

Elena99 05-05-2005 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by instg8r View Post

what is lacto ovo again?

didnt somebody once use the term 'veganarian' - what is that ????

Vegetarian who eats eggs and milk. Although you probably could just say vegetarian, lacto ovo is more specific.

No idea what veganarian is, maybe it's a typo?

midnighteyes 05-05-2005 06:40 PM

I went vegan in February 2005 and I haven't gone back. I'm loving the effects it has had on my skin too much to go back!

manics_fan 05-05-2005 06:46 PM

I went vegan just over 3 years ago and have never gone back and never plan on going back.

bethann 05-05-2005 06:46 PM

Was vegan for 9 months, now I'm lacto-vegetarian, I hope to go back to vegan, at least periodically.

silverundertone 05-05-2005 06:53 PM

i was vegan for a couple months...but now i am an ovo vegetarian

runtypig 05-05-2005 06:53 PM

I went l/o vegetarian about 2 months ago, then quickly decided to go vegan. I had a few cheats with ice cream when I was at work a few weeks ago ... but I've decided since then to not give in anymore. Sooo, I voted for the last one. I'm gonna be strong from now on!

ynaffit 05-05-2005 06:59 PM

vegan for more than six years and never gave up.

smedley 05-05-2005 07:03 PM

vegan since 3/03. my family and i have never looked back! was easy for us and best thing we have done!

colorful 05-05-2005 07:46 PM

I was vegan for one year in 1998-99, then again for about 6 months last year. I went back to lacto-ovo and have no intention of going vegan again. I firmly believe that a natural food source of vitamin B-12 is the healthiest choice for me and my family.

rainbow_clouds 05-05-2005 08:12 PM

No, I have never tried veganism but am planning on trying it.

Once I don't have to eat at school anymore.

April 05-05-2005 08:21 PM

I was vegan for the first 4 months of my vegetarianism, then L-O for about 9. I've been vegan again since that, which is about 3.5 months.

Hummusisyummus 05-05-2005 08:23 PM

I half-heartedly tried going vegan a few times, waited maybe a year, went lacto-ovo, then eight months after that went vegan. I've been pretty much vegan since January, but I have ingested honey in processed foods on a few occasions.

FreshTart 05-05-2005 08:45 PM

I picked the "yes I am LO, and don't plan on going back" option, as it was the closest to my situation (I'm an omni, but LO was the closest answer).

Guacivore 05-05-2005 09:03 PM

Strict vegetarian since June 2004.

Guacivore 05-05-2005 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshTart View Post

I picked the "yes I am LO, and don't plan on going back" option, as it was the closest to my situation (I'm an omni, but LO was the closest answer).

Hi FT, just out of curiosity, are you an occasional omni or do you just include certain types of non-veg food in your diet? I just ask because I was reading an article about flexitarianism yesterday and am interested in the forms that this sort of perspective takes.

No need to answer if that's too personal a question. Thanks.

snowpea 05-05-2005 09:19 PM

I said i am a vegan and have never gone back to animal products...but it's only been 3 months so we'll see how it works out!

stellar26 05-05-2005 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorful View Post

I was vegan for one year in 1998-99, then again for about 6 months last year. I went back to lacto-ovo and have no intention of going vegan again. I firmly believe that a natural food source of vitamin B-12 is the healthiest choice for me and my family.

I feel the same way.

I'm on my way toward a degree in nutrition right now, and if there's one thing that my books have stressed it's that supplementation should only be a last resort as they're not as readily absorbable. On top of the B12 problem, there are an array of other B vitamins, iron, and calcium that my diet didn't have enough of. For me, at this time in my life, veganism is not okay. I'd rather eat the occasional egg and hunk of cheese and feel better knowing that I'm not going to suffer from osteoporosis 50 years down the road, anemia, or another deficiency- related disorder.

instg8r 05-05-2005 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elena99 View Post

Vegetarian who eats eggs and milk. Although you probably could just say vegetarian, lacto ovo is more specific.

No idea what veganarian is, maybe it's a typo?

thanks for clearing up the l/o veg! veganarian wasnt a typo - i must have seen it on the peta boards - i did a search for it here (after reading your reply) and somebody used the term when talking about using wool....eh i will figure it out! just wanted to say thanks!

instg8r 05-05-2005 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by instg8r View Post

thanks for clearing up the l/o veg! veganarian wasnt a typo - i must have seen it on the peta boards - i did a search for it here (after reading your reply) and somebody used the term when talking about using wool....eh i will figure it out! just wanted to say thanks!

ok i found it - just had to search peta2 boards ---- anyway this is what i was referring to ----------

Type 1) Semi-vegetarians - These 'vegetarians' eat all types of foods in their diet - including meat. However these individuals limit the amount of animal products they consume. They do eat animals though, which is why they should just be called omnivores instead of vegetarians.

Type 2) Pesco-omnivore - They don't eat any meat EXCEPT for fish. They do eat seafood.

Type 3) Pollo-omnivore - They don't eat any meat EXCEPT for poultry (chicken, turkey, duck, etc.).

Type 4) Lacto vegetarians - They don't eat meat, but do consume milk, butter, and cheese. (dairy)

Type 5) Lacto-ovo vegetarians - They don't eat meat, but do consume milk, butter, eggs and cheese. (dairy)

Type 6) Veganarians - I laughed out loud when I heard this one, but then I realized that I WAS one (back when I heard about this). Veganarians are Lacto-ovo vegetarians, but they limit the amount of dairy and eggs that they eat. They also avoid buying products that were tested on animals, and they don't wear clothing or jewelry that is made from animals.

Type 7) Vegans - These are the only real vegetarians, because they only eat veggies (and legumes, etc.). They avoid all animal products in their diet, such as meat, dairy products, even certain non-essential vitamins that only come from animals. They also avoid things that were tested on animals, and clothing/jewelry that is made from animals. The cruelty-free way to be! Like me!

Type 8) Fruitarians - Fruitarians exclude all foods of animal origin as well as cereals (grains). Diet mainly comprises raw and dried fruits, nuts, olive oil, occasionally legumes. <-- copied that from a website. I'm not sure exactly what they eat, that's just what the page said. Sounds crazy to me. (no offense any fruitarians out there!)

Type 9) Freegans - These people will eat meat as long as they didn't pay for it or support the trade/industry. For example, if McDonalds was giving away free burgers, they would turn them down, because McDonalds would probably count that as 1 person who loves their burgers for their survey or whatever. But if they were over someone's house and there happened to be a burger that someone already got from McDonalds, they would eat it, because they weren't really supporting or helping McDonalds. They just say that they were making sure that that cow's life didn't go to waste. Same thing with trash cans; for example, Mickey Ds tosses their breakfast sandwiches when lunch time kicks in, so perfectly good sandwiches are just thrown out. So a freegan would go out back and dig them out and eat them. And the same thing goes for clothing; if they came across some leather shoes in a trash can, or if someone gave them one of their old pairs, they would wear them. They just wouldn't buy them from the actual manufactuer or distributor.

hazardbliss 05-05-2005 10:18 PM

I was raised vegetarian, but I went vegan nearly ten years ago and have never looked back. Even if it were proven that the vegan diet was nutritionally inadequate, I'd still be vegan, because the overwhelming guilt of taking part in the exploitation of so many creatures would kill me anyway. But that's just me.

synergy 05-05-2005 10:54 PM

I was vegan for about 6 months, and I still eat really minimal amounts of animal products, but on monday night, I had some feta cheese. And I liked it.

I still plan on eating as vegan as possible, but don't worry, I won't call myself vegan anymore. Maybe one day.

GhostUser 05-05-2005 11:02 PM

nah. Went vegan, never looked back.

BrokenAngel 05-05-2005 11:59 PM

I became vegan March 12th of this year and haven't looked back!

kpickell 05-06-2005 12:23 AM

"Yes, I am currently lacto ovo and don't plan on trying veganism again."

That's not to say I won't attempt to reduce my dairy intake, just that veganism doesn't always make sense to me.

kirkjobsluder 05-06-2005 12:25 AM

I dislike all of the categories presented here.