Vegetarian Support: I get so hungry! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-05-2005, 05:43 PM

Edit 4/8/06 - I was basically talking about how I had cravings, those craving are gone now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-05-2005, 06:19 PM
Veggie Regular

I recall reading that someone else had a similar problem in some other thread, but I can't find it now. I seem to remember that the advice that was given to the person was to up the intake of fatty foods in their diet, because fatty foods give you the "full and satisfied" feeling. Hopefully, whomever that was will see your thread and be able to give you some pointers, thatoneguy.

Hang in there! (Sorry I wasn't more help- I just remembered that and also noticed that a lot of what you mentioned was similar to that other thread.)
#3 Old 05-05-2005, 06:22 PM

Yeah that sucks! That's a lot of food and you would think after all that you would be full, lol! My husband eats meat and about a month ago went on a diet. He was at 210 and is now at 192 (small brag, lol)!!! Anyways he ate a crap load of food everyday and went from eating all that to basically nothing. He maybe has around 2000 calories a day starting on the day of his new diet. Before that he was eating maybe 4-5,000. At first it was really hard on him and he felt like he was going to "die", but now after a month or so he is fine. His body has adjusted to it and if he eats more than around 2,000 he feels sick. So maybe your body just needs a little more time to adjust? The meatless stuff carries A LOT less calories than actual meat so you probably arent taking in anywhere near what you were used to. I would just give it some more time and see what happens. It really did take my husband about a month before he felt like his old self again. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-05-2005, 06:23 PM

Thanks for the tip
#5 Old 05-05-2005, 06:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Sounds like you need to add beans, avocado, rice, nuts and seeds to your diet. All very filling, all healthy and good for you.

I like to take a trail mix of nuts, seeds, raisins and cereal with me if I'm not sure about the food where I'm going. It's tasty, crunchy and filling.

Also, do you eat tofu, or tempeh?
#6 Old 05-05-2005, 06:30 PM

Thanks for the tip guys!

Yeah, I feel like I'm going to die on the drive home from school (it takes like 35 minutes). Yes, I will keep trying. It's just when I get around to two months...I start craving stuff even when I'm full! I feel if I can get past the two month mark then I should be fine. I've never made it past two months, I hope it gets easier and not harder...probably easier right? Well, we're going to find out...when it gets past two months I will post on this thread and keep you guys posted. I WILL NOT GIVE IN this time...I don't care how hungry I get!
#7 Old 05-05-2005, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elena99 View Post

Sounds like you need to add beans, avocado, rice, nuts and seeds to your diet. All very filling, all healthy and good for you.

I like to take a trail mix of nuts, seeds, raisins and cereal with me if I'm not sure about the food where I'm going. It's tasty, crunchy and filling.

Also, do you eat tofu, or tempeh?

I like nuts...I'm a nutty person.

I eat tofu...never had tempeh. I like tofu scrambles in the morning...I like barbecue tofu sandwiches sometimes. I get Bush's vegetarian beans sometimes...I'll try to start getting more stuff like that.
#8 Old 05-05-2005, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatoneguy View Post

I like nuts...I'm a nutty person.

I eat tofu...never had tempeh. I like tofu scrambles in the morning...I like barbecue tofu sandwiches sometimes. I get Bush's vegetarian beans sometimes...I'll try to start getting more stuff like that.

Yes, Matt does get very hungry. I will support him with everything he does but I also encourage him to understand the importance of exercise in every diet. I do understand his cravings, obviously. I always eat avacados and nuts to fill me up. I love that stuff. He mostly buys the avacados for me though. He loves asparagus and so do I. I guess I just need to encourage him a little better. I'll do it because I love him.
#9 Old 05-05-2005, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachbop View Post

Yes, Matt does get very hungry. I will support him with everything he does but I also encourage him to understand the importance of exercise in every diet. I do understand his cravings, obviously. I always eat avacados and nuts to fill me up. I love that stuff. He mostly buys the avacados for me though. He loves asparagus and so do I. I guess I just need to encourage him a little better. I'll do it because I love him.

Awe, thanks honey!
#10 Old 05-05-2005, 06:47 PM

Beans, rice, potatoes, leafy greens, soy/rice milks...all good fillers. I have a hard time understanding the hungry all the time thing, because when I went vegetarian .... it was so natural and I stopped eating meat cold Turkey I never have a craving for it.

Your body is still calling out for the calories it is used to taking in. It "misses" the high calorie, high fat meats. Eventually, it will balance out.
#11 Old 05-05-2005, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFuture View Post

Beans, rice, potatoes, leafy greens, soy/rice milks...all good fillers. I have a hard time understanding the hungry all the time thing, because when I went vegetarian .... it was so natural and I stopped eating meat cold Turkey I never have a craving for it.

Your body is still calling out for the calories it is used to taking in. It "misses" the high calorie, high fat meats. Eventually, it will balance out.

That's all I ask for.
#12 Old 05-05-2005, 06:51 PM

That's a good quote in your siggie Mike
#13 Old 05-05-2005, 06:53 PM

LOL, that is a good quote!
#14 Old 05-05-2005, 07:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Peanut Butter is your friend!! Toast some whole wheat bread, get you some nice marmalade or other jam. Big ole glass of vanilla soy milk. MMMmmmm. And the fats will help shut your hunger down.

Or how about an Accidental Special Sandwich (inspired by a sandwich I ate in Cambria, CA at the Cambria Deli)

Really fresh whole wheat bread

avocado (ripe)

sliced cheese or fake cheese if you avoid dairy

Yves Veggie Bologna slices (my kid loves these. They are vegan)

soy mayonaise (lots of it)

lettuce

tomato

onion

bean sprouts

Ahhhh...

Or

A couple of baked potatoes, earth balance spread, steamed broccoli and Tofutti Sour Supreme fake sour cream. You can even use a crumbled veggie burger and some fake cheese to make a baked potato shepard's pie. Eat the skin too. That stuff is great for you.

Or...

Vegan Pasta Al Pesto http://www.ivu.org/recipes/pasta/vegan-pesto.html has lots of olive oil fat in it.

Or...

Make a mess of beans and rice. Use lots of olive oil to saute sliced onions and garlic first (lots of garlic). Then add the beans (I use canned red kidney beans and I drain the water off) plus a can of stewed tomatos. Simmer for about 40 minutes on low and mash the beans up with the back of a spoon to make it thicker. Serve over a mess of brown rice cooked in veg broth.

Shut your hungers right down. It reheats well.

Man. I'm hungry.

Happy dining and welcome!

d
#15 Old 05-05-2005, 08:16 PM

Wow! All that sounds so good!
#16 Old 05-05-2005, 09:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Brandon View Post

I recall reading that someone else had a similar problem in some other thread, but I can't find it now. I seem to remember that the advice that was given to the person was to up the intake of fatty foods in their diet, because fatty foods give you the "full and satisfied" feeling.

Maybe it was one of these? Good luck and welcome to you and rachbop!

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ghlight=hunger

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ghlight=hungry

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ghlight=hungry
#17 Old 05-06-2005, 04:34 AM

The second person sounded a lot like me! I'm glad I'm not the only one whose had to go through this. Rachbop and I are heading out to West Virginia today! We live in Indiana so it's a nice drive. I think I'll pack some peanut butter sandwiches and some other goodies for times of need before we stop for food.

Thanks for the links!
#18 Old 05-06-2005, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny View Post

Maybe it was one of these? Good luck and welcome to you and rachbop!

The second person sounded a lot like me! I'm glad I'm not the only one whose had to go through this. Rachbop and I are heading out to West Virginia today! We live in Indiana so it's a nice drive. I think I'll pack some peanut butter sandwiches and some other goodies for times of need before we stop for food.

Thanks for the links!
#19 Old 05-06-2005, 04:41 AM

Thanks for the links!
#20 Old 05-06-2005, 05:01 AM

The second person sounded a lot like me! Rachbop and I are heading out to West Virginia today! We live in Indiana so it's a nice drive. I guess I'll pack some peanut butter sandwiches and some other goodies for times of need before we stop to eat.

Thanks for the links!
#21 Old 05-06-2005, 09:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccidentalVeg View Post

Peanut Butter is your friend!!

Yes, fats will help with hunger. You'd be amazed what peanut butter on toast will do!
#22 Old 05-06-2005, 10:16 AM
Veggie Regular

If you get tired of peanut butter and you like almonds, try almond butter.

*this space not for sale*
#23 Old 05-06-2005, 10:46 AM
Veggie Regular

I second the peanut butter!! I have a pretty high metabolism and I get hungry a lot sometimes too. Not that hungry, but thats because I'm a petite female.:P

Anyway, try nut butters with raw veggies, as well. Just 1 serving of raw carrots and full-fat peanut butter does WONDERS, I tell you. Its more filling than any other snack I ever had.
#24 Old 05-06-2005, 12:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Keep in mind you could also have a vitamin/nutrient deficiency, causing your cravings...

When I first became vegetarian, I didn't "swap" out my iron properly from meat to veg-sources, so I had pretty bad meat cravings, etc.

Make sure you're getting lots of leafy greens, among other veggies and to keep what you eat in check.

Also, you could keep a snack in your car (like baby carrots to munch oh, or a P.B. sandwich, or some crackers) to eat on your drive home, so that you won't be tempted.

Good luck in your veggie endeavors!

Cheers!
#25 Old 05-06-2005, 12:58 PM
Banned

Also, you might want to start using whole grains rather than processed (whole wheat bread instead of white, brown rice, oatmeal, barley, whole wheat pasta, etc). They have more fiber, which makes you feel more full and takes longer to break down. You also don't get the insulin spike with them, which in part causes that "omigod i'm starving!" feeling shortly after eating.

Simple carbs (like sugar, soda, etc) cause insulin spikes, too, so if you're eating a lot of those, you might want to cut them down.
#26 Old 05-06-2005, 01:26 PM
Veggie Regular

^^^I second that.
#27 Old 05-06-2005, 02:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Try getting a decent amount of protein, fiber, and fat in each meal. All three take relatively long to digest. I'd go for legumes over fake meat, they seem more filling to me and they are much cheaper and more healthful. I'd definitely switch to whole grains (if you haven't already), they are much more filling. Get in the habit of caring around food with you for when you're stuck at school or in the car and are hungry. Bananas hold me off pretty well. You could also try eating smaller meals more frequently.

I don't know if this will work for you, but I have whole grain cold cereal (usually Cheerios or Raison Brand, or their respective knock-offs) with soy milk basically for every breakfast. Anything else (even a whole wheat bagel w/ peanut butter + banana) leaves me hungry before lunch.

Good luck!
#28 Old 05-09-2005, 11:58 AM
Banned

You need fat. Your body wants it. My solution (I swear this works):

PEANUT BUTTER.

It is your friend.

Eat a spoonful (yes, right from the spoon!!) of that before you start to pig out on high carb items. It will satisfy you in ways you cannot imagine. ;-) I have recommended this to other vegetarian dieters and have received many thanks. :-)
#29 Old 05-10-2005, 01:36 PM

Great News! I think my body is finally getting used to not eating meat! I had the usual breakfast I do, at school I wasn't starving. I didn't crave meat on the way home from school, and when I got home I only needed about half of what I usually eat! Just a little while ago I was micro waving a couple Worthington's meatless hot dogs and I could not eat them...because they smelled and looked too much like meat. Yes! I've been waiting for this to happen! Thanks for all the support guys.

Also, the trip to West Virginia was great! The food I brought for the trip saved me on a few occasions.
#30 Old 05-10-2005, 01:45 PM

Great News! I think my body is finally getting used to not eating meat! I had the usual breakfast I do, at school I wasn't starving. I didn't crave meat on the way home from school, and when I got home I only needed about half of what I usually eat! Just a little while ago I was micro waving a couple Worthington's meatless hot dogs and I could not eat them...because they smelled and looked too much like meat. Yes! I've been waiting for this to happen! Thanks for all the support guys.

Also, the trip to West Virginia was great! The food I brought for the trip saved me on a few occasions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page