I'm taking my mom to IHOP for Mother's Day. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-30-2005, 03:45 AM
Veggie Regular

She's never been there before and we don't have one in Manhattan, so I thought it would be nice to take her there. But, what is a new vegan to do? I guess I'll just have to drink orange juice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-30-2005, 03:57 AM
Veggie Regular

I suspect that if asked nicely they might put together a bowl of fruit for you.
#3 Old 04-30-2005, 04:17 AM

They have good food, but nothing really veg*n-friendly.

The last time I went there, I ordered their REALLY big garden salad, i think it was - $6.99! But once I told them I didn't want egg, turkey, ham and cheese on it....there was hardly anything left on it at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-30-2005, 06:08 AM
Veggie Regular

I hope that on top of that they didn't charge you *extra* for a special order.
#5 Old 04-30-2005, 09:09 AM
Veggie Regular

French Fries and OJ. Sorry, hon.
#6 Old 04-30-2005, 09:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharityAJO View Post

French Fries and OJ. Sorry, hon.

and the french fries are probably fried in the oil with the meat stuff...
#7 Old 04-30-2005, 09:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Ive never been there either..but couldn't you just get a bagel w/ peanut butter and/or jam? Well if their bagels are veg*n friendly...
#8 Old 04-30-2005, 10:13 AM

I haven't been to an IHOP in a long long time, but don't most places that serve breakfast have side orders like oatmeal or a bowl of fruit like Anthony11 suggested? You could also ask to see if their wheat bread is acceptable for toast.
#9 Old 04-30-2005, 11:37 AM
Veggie Regular

I have a funny "vegan asking questions at IHOP" story. I asked what was in the french fries, and the waitress stopped for a second, and then said: "Potatoes."

And I backtracked and tried to explain that I wanted to know about additives/flavorings, and what kind of oil they were fried in. To the best of my knowledge, they are fried separately from the meat stuff, in soybean oil. I guess that makes them "accidentally vegan." ^^

My usual order at IHOP is apple juice, a plain English Muffin (specify no butter), an order of grits (specify no butter), and a side of applesauce. I put jelly on the E. muffin and salt up the grits, and it's doable. Not exactly a feast, but it gets me through.

We see the world as "we" are, not as "it" is; because it is the "I" behind the "eye" that does the seeing.
#10 Old 04-30-2005, 11:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceryna View Post

I have a funny "vegan asking questions at IHOP" story. I asked what was in the french fries, and the waitress stopped for a second, and then said: "Potatoes."

And I backtracked and tried to explain that I wanted to know about additives/flavorings, and what kind of oil they were fried in. To the best of my knowledge, they are fried separately from the meat stuff, in soybean oil. I guess that makes them "accidentally vegan." ^^

My usual order at IHOP is apple juice, a plain English Muffin (specify no butter), an order of grits (specify no butter), and a side of applesauce. I put jelly on the E. muffin and salt up the grits, and it's doable. Not exactly a feast, but it gets me through.

Are you sure the english muffins are vegan?
#11 Old 04-30-2005, 12:00 PM
Veggie Regular

At the particular IHOP I visited, they were. But that can vary depending on which vendors a particular restaurant uses. You'll want to check to be sure.

ETA: There was a specific IHOP that I used to go to in ATL before I moved.

We see the world as "we" are, not as "it" is; because it is the "I" behind the "eye" that does the seeing.
#12 Old 04-30-2005, 12:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I just took a quick glance at their breakfast menu posted on their website and it looked pretty grim. You will just have to be really "creative" in your ordering.

*this space not for sale*
#13 Old 04-30-2005, 12:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Would you be up for making her a great vegan-friendly breakfast at home? It sounds like you're spending a day or so with her. If she isn't overly picky about other people cooking in her kitchen, it could be a great alternative.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#14 Old 04-30-2005, 07:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Are you that attached to IHOP? There are sooooooooooooooooooooooo many good places to go in NYC.

There is a place in the village called the Organic Grill that has vegan waffles and eggless omlettes with soysausage and bacon. They also have non vegan stuff too.

They have the best breakfasty potatoes. Or Kate's Joint has awesome breakfasts.

Both would be enjoyed by anyone, for that i am sure.

But if you go to IHOP...fruit and an english muffin with jelly are tolerable. Just Not exciting.
#15 Old 05-01-2005, 08:19 AM

I second Skylark. Your Mom will have other opportunities to go to an IHOP, and it's not all that special. If you do go there, I would call ahead first and try to arrange for a special meal.
#16 Old 05-01-2005, 08:21 AM

Do they have oatmeal, I know dennys does, I've gotten that before, oatmeal and raisons, then you can just put some sugar on it, But i agree with the last 2, i prefer local restaraunts, sorry bad spelling, they have much better food, and care more about the customers,

corey

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page