VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   Vegetarian Support Forum (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/11-vegetarian-support-forum/)
-   -   Things you hate about living with Meat Eaters: (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/11-vegetarian-support-forum/32862-things-you-hate-about-living-meat-eaters.html)

Autumn Leaves 04-23-2005 10:37 AM

Post away.

Mine:

*Waking up and Smelling bacon in the morning.

*When they go out and bring home big fatty burgers

*Thanksgiving

*Opening up the freg. and seeing a big dead cooked chicken

*There's a big beef stakes in the Freezer.

*How the Microwave smells of meat when I go to heat up my tea water.

KimberlyNYC 04-23-2005 10:55 AM

*How they always try to offer you a meat dish (or egg and dairy) when they know you're a vegetarian.

Rain2lightening 04-23-2005 11:06 AM

How they always go on about how good the meat theyre eating is and wave it in your face

girl2beaver 04-23-2005 11:31 AM

How they think that veg*n food can only be a side dish.

Katt Fink 04-23-2005 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Leaves View Post

*Waking up and Smelling bacon in the morning.

I second this. The people in this house are apparently severely addicted to bacon and absolutley, positively MUST have it EVERY SINGLE morning. The smell actually singes my sinuses and causes me to have sneezing fits first thing when I wake up. Not to mention, I am so nauseous from it that I have to wait about 30 minutes after the smell has somewhat subsided before I'm able to eat any breakfast of my own. I can barely tolerate the smell of veggie bacon let alone actual pig carcass... I don't think any other meat has a smell as pungent and acrid as bacon when cooked because when they make chicken or cow or some other deceased thing for dinner, it doesn't bother me nearly as much. The bacon thing bothers me so much I would probably go to say it is the thing I hate most about living with meat eaters... well, until I wake up a little more and find something else to complain about, lol

KT_E_M 04-23-2005 11:44 AM

when they offer not to tell anyone if you just want one bite of their meat

notquiteinsane 04-23-2005 12:03 PM

I now live with a very courteous meat eater who only eats meat outside the house. But once I lhad this roommate who was trying to bulk up. In his mind, that meant eating a huge steak twice a day. he liked to use my nice pan and he would cook up this massive nasty sizzling bloody steak. it would sit in the fridge before he made it, all bloody in its package. Sometimes he had a salad with his slab of beef.

My other (veg) roommate and I finally told him that he was basically doing the atkins diet, which people do to LOSE weight, not gain it. that's when he added toast to his diet.

I think what I hated most about that was that he was a stupid annoying dip****. I can't really pick out one or two things.

notquiteinsane 04-23-2005 12:09 PM

oh wait I just remembered this other roommate I had once. She was from the DC area, but she acted like she was from the freaking midwest. I would always offer her some of my dinner but she would look at my tofu like it was, well like I would look at a plate of pigs ears or something. I hated that. She was really nice about it, but I just sensed that she thought anyone who ate anything other than bacon, or some sort of casserole made with ground beef and canned soup, was a complete freak.

Also we would make daiquiris in the summertime and she would use a SHOT GLASS to CAREFULLY MEASURE OUT THE RUM. as if, i mean, oh I don't have to tell you how annoying that is. OK that has nothing to do with meat. I think my point is that meat-eaters usually have lots of other things wrong with them, too.

GhostUser 04-23-2005 12:10 PM

Solution: move.

GhostUser 04-23-2005 12:13 PM

I don't think I have any problems with them . . .

ayaya 04-23-2005 12:17 PM

Nothing. Seeing or smelling fish (he doesn't eat other meats eggs & dairy) doesn't bother me at all & my hubby's meal, if he has meat, are 10% meat and 90% fresh and cooked veggies, grains etc. And that's usually just once or twice a week depending on how successful his fishing was.

BrokenAngel 04-23-2005 12:22 PM

~* Walking into the kitchen to see a plate full of gross leftover chicken on the counter (from KFC none-the-less!)

~* Having to put my food next to meat/dairy in the refridgerator

~* Having to smell meat being cooked

~* Having meat be pushed into to face

VegKitten84 04-23-2005 12:30 PM

*Having to smell pork or KFC. Both just upset my stamch so much

*Seeing hunks off beef bleed onto the counter

*Opening the fridge to see a hunk of uncooked meat sitting next to something I was going to eat before I lost my apetite

crystalteacup 04-23-2005 12:38 PM

The smell is the worst. I never realised how bad it smelled until I stopped eating it.

DoshKel 04-23-2005 12:52 PM

My only gripe was back when my parents didn't really understand that I was serious about my veganism. They used to, as a joke, mix my soy milk, nayonase etc. with milk and regular mayo. They stoped after I took all of their food and gave it away to the homeless shelter everytime it was alone, saying to them that if they didn't stop joking around that I would: 1) Stop eating and 2) Never stop giving their food away heh . Kinda funny.

Now they totally support my dietary choices, but since I don't live with them anymore...they really can't do much heh. They do wish that I would go Lacto-Veg. for convinence/social issues. Meh...

Cheers.

thebelovedtree 04-23-2005 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoshKel View Post

They stoped after I took all of their food and gave it away to the homeless shelter everytime it was alone, saying to them that if they didn't stop joking around that I would: 1) Stop eating and 2) Never stop giving their food away heh . Kinda funny.

Anyways..My gripes:

-The smell of cooking ham and pork loin They always slow cook it so it takes HOURS and fills the entire house with the most horrible stench.

-Working very hard to make 1 veggie meal that everyone will like and having the family add pork chops to it, then get too full to even eat the pork chops so they get thrown away. They do this every time, they never learn that yes my meal will be filling, because I know they're used to eating a days worth of fat every time they sit down at the table.

-Getting something out of the fridge to find something animal based dripped all over it

-Being harassed for hours until you cook dinner with pretty much no good ingredients because you don't live there and all the food in the fridge is rotting and then spending the entire meal being told how much better said meal would be with cheese and or chicken, etc. My b/f's mom does this and while I don't live with her its one of my least favorite things meat eaters do.

lettuceBfriends 04-23-2005 01:24 PM

My children eat what I eat and my husband is hardly ever home. The only meat I have in my freezer is his chicken breast. I noticed last night that the smell kind of bothered me a bit, but it's not a big deal.

froggythefrog 04-23-2005 01:38 PM

It doesn't bother me so much, but I will be happy to have a meat-free house...

MollyGoat 04-23-2005 02:59 PM

Uh-oh. I shouldn't have gone in this thread. I'm about to live with 2 omni roommates. But it should be an adventure I guess!! And after 4 months I can return to my vegan home.

rainbow_clouds 04-23-2005 03:13 PM

meat in the freezer

meat grease

smelling meat

meat drippings

Asrai 04-23-2005 03:45 PM

The germs. I can't stand the thought of meat/dairy germs or potential prions in my kitchen.

Good Populace 04-23-2005 03:49 PM

- When someone cooks salmon.

It stinks SO MUCH. Whenever my mom cooks salmon I can smell it in my bedroom upstairs. Theres no escaping it in the house.

- When someone suggests that I dont read the ingredients list, because if you dont know whats in it then its not your fault you ate an animal prodect.

- When someone tells me that it wont kill me to eat meat because its not a religious thing for me. What, do they want me to become a Buddhist or something?

rainbowmoon 04-23-2005 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asrai View Post

The germs. I can't stand the thought of meat/dairy germs or potential prions in my kitchen.

The only thing I can't stand is the idea of the bacteria/food borne illnesses from meat/eggs. I do eat eggs, but I always clean up properly- I'm not sure if my parents do.

Other than that, I love my omnis. Lol.

cynicallips 04-23-2005 03:54 PM

Every meals main dish is meat. They always offer it to me. I end up cooking for myself. I hate holidays, and waking up to the smell of sausage and bacon in the mornings.

JamesCardiffUK 04-23-2005 05:29 PM

Bits of meat left in the sink after they've made a meal - yuck!

remilard 04-23-2005 05:31 PM

I guess I'm glad I don't live with meat eaters.

spehlbaund 04-23-2005 06:56 PM

for me it is

1) having to smell the flesh cooking because i can't just leave the room and not have to see it, i'll still smell it if i'm in the other side of the house

2) having to clean the pan really well after they cook eggs/meat in it

3) when i'm cooking at the same time they are, having to work around the dead animal parts :/

4) having meat near my veggie food in the fridge, even though i ask they don't put it near my stuff (well i don't even bother asking my brother cause i know he won't make any effort anyway)

5) having to listen to people talk about how good it smells

6) not being able to sleep when the TV's on loud because there is a cooking show with people talking about the animal parts they're cooking and what they're doing to it

7) seeing how little people care about others, when they're aware of what's happening to innocent animals only because people still like the "taste" or are too inconsiderate to go through any inconvenience in taking some things off their diet and having to actually learn about what else to eat

8+) more that i can't think of right now

bumble 04-23-2005 07:06 PM

The smell.I had no idea untill I became veg.It smells like death.

because it is.

runtypig 04-23-2005 07:55 PM

How they *still* insist on mocking me for going veg. ("Why don't you just go outside and chew on tree bark and grass; that's what the stuff you eat looks/tastes like.")

CharityAJO 04-23-2005 08:51 PM

Washing the dishes.