Ants, help! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-10-2005, 06:05 PM

A bunch of ants have decided to invade my house. Is there anything I can do about this that doesnt involve killing them? Its not very pleasant walking into my kitchen to find 20 ants on my counter each morning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-10-2005, 06:27 PM
Veggie Regular

There are things you can do. I've heard that if you put cinnamon around the area that they are coming in that it will make them go elsewhere. I know that there are other non-toxic, non-lethal ways to get rid of them, eesh, just can't remember--sorry.

Oh, but while you're having this problem keep any pet food off floor or counters. This is what has always attracted ants for me.
#3 Old 04-10-2005, 08:35 PM
Veggie Regular

I highly doubt it. I mean, no harm in trying I guess, except for just having them longer. My advice is buy those poison food traps, they work really well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-10-2005, 08:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Same problem here. We can keep them in cheque by keeping food, etc off of counters, but we haven't had much luck getting them away in the long term. I've heard that they don't like flour and baking soda mixed together. I don't know, good luck with yours...
#5 Old 04-10-2005, 10:07 PM
Beginner

My experience with ants (and we get them often) is to find whatever's attracting them and go from there. They will leave once their food supply is cut off. Basically what Satya/Girl2Beaver said, keep counters and floors cleaned off. I'm notorious for spilling a few things here and there on my way out in the mornings and not having time to clean it up immediately. Just a few drops of something sweet on the floor or counter tops can invite quite a few explorers!
#6 Old 04-10-2005, 10:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm very fearful of getting slammed here, but where I live, mosquitoes are the state bird. Of course, when they bite us, they leave itchy, aggravating bumps, but when they bite my kitties, my babies stand the risk of getting heart disease. Therefore, whenever I see a mosquito, I quickly swat it. (Last night, since the weather is getting warmer, we were invaded--I must have killed 50 of them in the house.) It never dawned on me that I may be crossing a line by killing these things. Thoughts, please?
#7 Old 04-10-2005, 10:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I kill bugs in my house. If I didn't my cats would anyway. If they're outside, thats fine. Once they're inside, they're not welcome to stay. Exceptions would be things like lady bugs. We get a lot of yellow jackets in the summer, and there is no WAY I'd either trap/release or let the cats get them because I don't want anyone getting stung. I have my limits, and I am not sympathetic towards bugs. I don't think you're crossing any lines, hopeforanimals. I'm certain others will disagree with me, but I hear ya.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#8 Old 04-10-2005, 11:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks, Rabid! I agree with you--if I didn't swat them, they'd either bite my cats, or get swatted by the merciless paws.

I relate to this comment: "If they're outside, thats fine. Once they're inside, they're not welcome to stay." I feel the same way, but then I remembered a quote from the Wisconsin hunter Mark Smith who is trying to pass legislature that would make all outdoor cats fair hunting game. He said, "Domestic cats are under the ownership of an individual. If you open the door and kick your cat out at night, you've changed its status." I completely disagree with this statement, but does it make me a hypocrite to think that bugs inside my house are "fair game" and acceptable outside?

ETA: Sorry, O.P., for going off-topic.
#9 Old 04-10-2005, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeforanimals View Post

Thanks, Rabid! I agree with you--if I didn't swat them, they'd either bite my cats, or get swatted by the merciless paws.

I relate to this comment: "If they're outside, thats fine. Once they're inside, they're not welcome to stay." I feel the same way, but then I remembered a quote from the Wisconsin hunter Mark Smith who is trying to pass legislature that would make all outdoor cats fair hunting game. He said, "Domestic cats are under the ownership of an individual. If you open the door and kick your cat out at night, you've changed its status." I completely disagree with this statement, but does it make me a hypocrite to think that bugs inside my house are "fair game" and acceptable outside?

I don't think it makes you a hypocrite. Personally I almost always capture bugs (including wasps) and release them outside. I originally started doing this after I went veg because I wanted to really extend my "circle of compassion". Since then I've been impressed by the overall ease and cleanliness of this approach as opposed to the smell and mess associated with sprays and smashed bugs.

However, realistically we smash bugs every single day just by walking, driving a car, riding in a bus, etc. etc. etc. And I just don't see bugs as having the same capacity for awareness and suffering as "higher" animals. So, I think you should just do whatever works for you and not worry a whole lot about it. My .02.

ETA: BTW, this thread reminds me of the scene in Six Feet Under in which the vegan character was trying to "reason" with the ants in her house. I love that show, but this scene was a way over-the-top stereotype. Okay, sorry, back on topic...
#10 Old 04-10-2005, 11:24 PM

BTW, this thread reminds me of the scene in Six Feet Under in which the vegan character was trying to "reason" with the ants in her house. I love that show, but this scene was a way over-the-top stereotype. Okay, sorry, back on topic...
#11 Old 04-10-2005, 11:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeforanimals View Post

I'm very fearful of getting slammed here, but where I live, mosquitoes are the state bird. Of course, when they bite us, they leave itchy, aggravating bumps, but when they bite my kitties, my babies stand the risk of getting heart disease. Therefore, whenever I see a mosquito, I quickly swat it. (Last night, since the weather is getting warmer, we were invaded--I must have killed 50 of them in the house.) It never dawned on me that I may be crossing a line by killing these things. Thoughts, please?

i don't blame you for protecting yourself and your furry babies. i don't swat at mosquitos until they try to bite me. i mean now we have to be careful about West Niles. But i am with Atlantic Newbie, in that I try to capture most insects and release them outside. where i fear i'm a hipocrite is when i have a roach in the house. yikes! i can't stand them. i know it's not thier fault they are so darn ugly, but if i get near them i feel like they're on me, eewwwwww. i have been able to catch a few but it takes me a million years and i squeell like a little girl the whole time.
#12 Old 04-10-2005, 11:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satya View Post

where i fear i'm a hipocrite is when i have a roach in the house. yikes! i can't stand them. i know it's not thier fault they are so darn ugly, but if i get near them i feel like they're on me, eewwwwww. i have been able to catch a few but it takes me a million years and i squeell like a little girl the whole time.

Satya, the roach is another insect with which I don't get along well. Roaches and spiders. *shiver* I honestly have never tried to get them out of my house. I just scream until somebody comes and smashes them.
#13 Old 04-11-2005, 04:04 AM

I love my spiders. I have many who live in the basement (big guys, I'm not sure what breed, but they aren't agressive and don't bite) and I just let them hang out. They keep my home free of pests,and I don't usually ever have to deal with bugs except ants in my kitchen. I might sound nuts, but the spiders keep things under control and don't hurt anything by being there. The only pest we will actively kill as of now are grubs. They are literally destroying my yard and I really wanted to plant some fruit trees this year. Sorry little guys, but you are turning my lawn into the Sahara.
#14 Old 04-11-2005, 07:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlincircles View Post

A bunch of ants have decided to invade my house. Is there anything I can do about this that doesnt involve killing them? Its not very pleasant walking into my kitchen to find 20 ants on my counter each morning.

Hmmm, iv thot bout this for a rew days, and can come up with nothing, [animal friendly] I guess if you can get old fruit [sweeter the better] and put it in a shallow pit in the ground,,,,[stay with me on this] catch them in bag and move them elsewhere, therby not hurting the Ants.

Long winded i know, but the only idea, i have. If you dont have a garden,...i will keep on thinking.

Ghost.
#15 Old 04-11-2005, 07:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Since you have been so honest, i wont slam you, still i feel, the killing of all creatures is wrong. A very difficult equation, when one will ulitamtley kill the other [mosquitoes v your kittens]

"Hope-for-animals" ALL ANIMALS!!

Just my view, and i understand what you mean.

Ghost.
#16 Old 04-11-2005, 07:34 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't know if this has been posted, but ants WILL NOT cross a chalk line.. and they won't cross cucumber peelings. Hope this helps.
#17 Old 04-11-2005, 09:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevio View Post

My experience with ants (and we get them often) is to find whatever's attracting them and go from there. They will leave once their food supply is cut off. Basically what Satya/Girl2Beaver said, keep counters and floors cleaned off. I'm notorious for spilling a few things here and there on my way out in the mornings and not having time to clean it up immediately. Just a few drops of something sweet on the floor or counter tops can invite quite a few explorers!

Eh, doesn't always work though. I've had ants in my bathroom before! Trust me there is no food source there

cromlixghost- So what would you do if your home was invaded by ants? Just let them stay?
#18 Old 04-11-2005, 09:50 AM
Veggie Regular

I think you'll have to bite the bullet and kill the ants. Once they're gone, though, strategies like keeping food in well-sealed containers and wiping up sticky spills immediately should keep them at bay so you don't have to kill them again.
#19 Old 04-11-2005, 09:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Ants can do some major damage - and they won't go away, no matter what you do with poison, if they make a bed in the walls of your house - they'll even eat trails through the insulation, and cut exit holes behind screws and tapering! If you've got them in your walls.. it's already too late.. you must keep everything in sealed jars and leave no trace of food behind..
#20 Old 04-11-2005, 01:51 PM

Thanks everyone!

I think they started coming in because they were attracted to the dirty dishes that were in the sink (which now are not allowed). I've been keeping the counters clean for the last few day in combination with scooping them up in a jar and letting them outside. I also put some sugar (as well as other sweet things) outside and now they seem to be going for it instead of looking for food in the house. I only found four this morning--So far so good!

Hmm, Ive heard of the chalk. Im going to draw a chalk line around the house and see what that does. Never hurts to try.

Kusinagi, isn't that just with carpenter ants, or is it with all ants? I've never had a problem with ants getting into the walls but am curious now.
#21 Old 04-11-2005, 02:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlincircles View Post

I also put some sugar (as well as other sweet things) outside and now they seem to be going for it instead of looking for food in the house.

I was going to suggest that. I think you can bribe them to stay out. Think of it as having your very own big ant farm.
#22 Old 04-11-2005, 02:57 PM
Veggie Regular

1) Find where they're coming in.

2) Get a piece of duct tape.

3) Put it over the hole in the wall/window/whatever.

I had a bad ant problem years ago down south, and all I did to get rid of them was put a piece of tape over their "front door". Worked like a charm. (they were attracted to the cat food bowl sitting on the floor)
#23 Old 04-11-2005, 02:58 PM

I think certain insects have to be eliminated if they invade to the point of no return, unfortunately. Carpenter ants, powder post beetles, and termites can destroy a home, and I am not paying a mortgage just so insects can eat my framing. If I can prevent them from invading, I will be more than happy to do so in the most humane way possible. But if they are in there and causing the wood in my house to crumble to dust, sorry, you guys have GOT to go.
#24 Old 04-11-2005, 03:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucrecia View Post

I love my spiders. I have many who live in the basement (big guys, I'm not sure what breed, but they aren't agressive and don't bite) and I just let them hang out. They keep my home free of pests,and I don't usually ever have to deal with bugs except ants in my kitchen. I might sound nuts, but the spiders keep things under control and don't hurt anything by being there. The only pest we will actively kill as of now are grubs. They are literally destroying my yard and I really wanted to plant some fruit trees this year. Sorry little guys, but you are turning my lawn into the Sahara.

Me too. At my old apartment I had spider webs in the corners and i was cool with that. If they don't bother me, I don't bother them. Actually before I moved I made sure to get them outside because I knew the cleaning crew would come in and kill them. Am I a freak or what? Although what makes me more of a freak is sometimes if a fly was stuck in a web and was struggling to get out, I'd get him out. I know, I know it's nature and the spiders have to eat, but I justify it because I'm a "saver" . If there is a creature that is suffering and I have the power to save it, well...I'm gonna!
#25 Old 04-11-2005, 04:04 PM
Veggie Regular

I have no idea what kind of ants they were - they were small, and red or reddish brown. In South Carolina at that point. Once they moved in, they never left. We had to give them their own bedroom, and start naming them! LOL j/k, but they did have the run of the house, and no matter what we did, they would NOT go away.

Now, I did manage to bribe them to one PART of the house.. by putting down some sugar or a cookie.. but there were just so many, they ate it so fast, they were more expensive to feed than my own cats.

I tried to bribe them outside.. but they were like, "f**k that, it's cold out there bee-yatch"... so.. that didn't work.

We eventually moved.
#26 Old 04-11-2005, 04:15 PM

The ants that have been bothering me are small black ones. I wonder what type they are. . .
#27 Old 04-11-2005, 04:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Sound like wood ants, I think?
#28 Old 04-11-2005, 04:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucrecia View Post

I think certain insects have to be eliminated if they invade to the point of no return, unfortunately. Carpenter ants, powder post beetles, and termites can destroy a home, and I am not paying a mortgage just so insects can eat my framing. If I can prevent them from invading, I will be more than happy to do so in the most humane way possible. But if they are in there and causing the wood in my house to crumble to dust, sorry, you guys have GOT to go.

By all means, I agree. Protect house and home, FIRST. If they can be lived with, fine, if not, try to find a humane way to get them out. If you can't do that.. then the war has started, and it's ON.

Our ants just.. were beyond the point. We lost the war.
#29 Old 04-11-2005, 04:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I agree. Lucrecia--when it becomes a you or them situation, self preservation makes us choose "me". It's the brutality of survival. Like if a vegan who is against killing animals was in a situation where their child was being attacked by an animal they probably wouldn't hesitate to kill the animal in order to protect the child. I know it's not the same as killing insects, but on a bigger level it's the same concept which is needing to protect yourself/your property.
#30 Old 04-11-2005, 04:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusinagi View Post

Our ants just.. were beyond the point. We lost the war.

What do you mean you lost? Did the ants take over your house. Are you held captive in the basement while they rumage the frig and watch tv all day

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page