Yet another convert! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-10-2005, 03:05 AM
Veggie Regular

About a week ago I got into a debate with a friend..He put forth a few initial arguments but they were proven false and in the end he acknowledged that he simply did not want to give up meats. Since I cannot combat this, the debate ended with him acknowleding that there was no actual flaw in my argument other than he simply did not desire the change. He was most resistent.

Well today I was speaking with him again. I casually brought up how today (09 April 2005) I had been speaking about Vegetarianism in a chat room

(Side note: The discussion ended up with people telling me that Vegetarians are weak and dont live past 40 )

when suddenly he told me he was going to attempt Vegetarianism.

!!!!

At first I thought it was a joke, but apparently he was completely serious. The following is a quote (edited to prevent him googling, as well, the name has been edited out):

Quote:
___ says:

The fact that you are completely correct

___ says:

It is simply selfish desire of mine which pervented me from pursuing the right path

He says that he will at first attempt to phase out obviously meat products (Beef, chicken, etc), then start moving on little by little. He does not accept Veganism (because from a moral standpoint eating eggs and milk isn't *inheritly* wrong, its just the method that they are procured) but seemingly is open to the idea of becoming a strict ovo-lacto.

Wow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-10-2005, 03:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Thats awesome!!

I've converted one person before... sort of. We were in the library and of her own accord she pulled out a book [i think it was old MacDonalds factory farm] and seeing a photo of chickens on a production line reduced her to tears. She then decided to become vegetarian. fast forward 2 months, we're at a cafe and she orders a chicken sandwhich so I give her a strange look and she guiltily says that her parents started paying her to eat chicken again then quickly changes to the subject. I've lost a bit of respect for her since. You can't handle being vegetarian, fair enough but having such weak convictions so as to accept money to sacrifice them is poor form in my opinion. But then, she is the possibly the most materialistic person I know.

Anyways sorry for hijacking your thread!
#3 Old 04-10-2005, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jAded View Post

...her parents started paying her to eat chicken again ...

PAYING HER TO EAT CHICKEN??? Ahh! No one understands at all what is healthy! I bet if you asked them what it was in chicken that was benefiting them, they would say nothing other than protein. Ahh! So frustrating.

Awesome job Tassadar! I wish I could hold up so well in arguments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-10-2005, 08:57 AM

right on!
#5 Old 04-10-2005, 10:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Congrats!
#6 Old 04-10-2005, 11:29 AM
Veggie Regular

#7 Old 04-10-2005, 11:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Wow. I never thought it was possible to argue someone into going veg.

Congratulations on your convert. Now hurry up and lend him some cookbooks and show him the ropes.
#8 Old 04-10-2005, 01:23 PM
Beginner

That's cool.

I think that the best way to get people to think about going veg is just to drop of facts in a non-confrontational manner (which can be hard sometimes).. If they don't feel accused of anything, they have more chances of thinking about it and of keeping an open mind.
#9 Old 04-10-2005, 02:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeTassadar View Post

(Side note: The discussion ended up with people telling me that Vegetarians are weak and dont live past 40 )

Woohoo! The next 8 years are the last and greatest of my entire life!!!! Oh, um... sorry.

Congratulations on being a positive influence of a friend of yours!
#10 Old 04-11-2005, 03:25 AM
Veggie Regular

WAY TO GO! Congrats!

(Froggy - let's hope you're around longer than THAT!)
#11 Old 04-11-2005, 06:34 AM
Beginner

Spffy! Way to go.

I think I might have converted my wife without even trying; she read the Vegan Outreach pamphlet when I got it last week, and now she says she's going to go veggie after all the meat in the house is gone.
#12 Old 04-11-2005, 01:38 PM
Veggie Regular

That's great! I think if everyone took any real amount of time to actually think about the modern meat processing that is going on, everyone would at least cut out beef.

Times are definitely changing, too. People are starting to see that the earth needs less suffering all the way around, an easy way to do that is to cut out meat (a good first step, anyway.) It doesnt' take much to convince a compassionate person to quit meat.
#13 Old 04-11-2005, 01:49 PM
Veggie Regular

That's amazing...well done, CT. I've mentioned this elsewhere but my b/f is slowwwwwly taking the steps that your friend is, and I just couldn't be happier. Hopefully your friend will take it very patiently and positively, and enjoy his experience.

Kudos!
#14 Old 04-11-2005, 01:51 PM
Beginner

This is just like the white man and christianity, except its not wrong.
#15 Old 04-11-2005, 01:56 PM

that's great! congrats!

i influenced one of my friends to start moving toward becoming veg last year.. he's a very rational type of person, so he started cutting down on meat unless it was the only thing available after hearing out my pro-veg arguments and not finding any real information against them. he doesn't eat meat at all now, although i don't know if he's bothered to stop eating gelatin, beef/chicken stock hidden in things, etc. it was a step in the right direction, though.
#16 Old 04-12-2005, 12:12 AM
Veggie Regular

I think they were making her eat chicken again because the first time she tried vegetarianism she became extremely ill. And they are a traditional greek family, their freezer is crammed full of red meat and there aren't a million vegetables lying around the kitchen. So it was harder for her to stay a healthy vegetarian, especially when her mum kept trying to sneak meat into her food.
#17 Old 04-12-2005, 01:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page