need to reduce soy consumption. HELP! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-08-2005, 08:18 PM
Veggie Regular

on the reccomendation of my doctor I've decided to cut my soy consumption completely for a month and then reintroduce it at no more than 20 grams a day. Both Caroline and I have been experiencing symptions of a hypoactive thyroid, soy is a proven agitator of this, and we've both been feeling like crap. However, i'm discovering that dairy is NOT going to be a good source of protein for me. I tried yogurt...couldn't do it. I tried cheese, did it, but now feel like hurling....VBer's, HELP!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-08-2005, 10:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't know anything about your problem with soy, but if your looking for a milk sub, then you can get rice milk, if you like it, or you can try one of those nut milks. you might be able to make it in your blender if you find a recipe, or you can buy it at some Health food stores.

As far as completely cutting it goes, you need to read everything, like you allready do as a vegan. In case you didn't notice, soy is in EVERYTHING, even chips. This can be helped by eating more veggies and fruit, and leaning on the raw food diet.

Of course, at fist you'll probally notice a lot of cravings, but just like when you gave up milk, eggs and meat; you can live through them. I know that it's hard to give up something big like soy, but hey, you gave up milk, right? There's lots of rice products out there, and you can always go raw.

Best of luck!!! You can do it!
#3 Old 04-08-2005, 10:22 PM
Veggie Regular

The good news is that a person doesn't need soy to get on as a veg*n.

The bad news is that it's in everything, much like gelatin and whey.

But for protein, look to things like beans, whole grains, nuts, deep leafy greens, veggies and even fruit for your needs. If you're a "milk" person, then check out oat milk, almond milk, rice milk and even grain milk. Stay away from processed things because more often than not, they will contain soy in some form or the other.

The best to you both. Hope you feel better soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-08-2005, 10:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Dried beans and a crockpot or pressure cooker and some quinoa?
#5 Old 04-08-2005, 10:53 PM
Veggie Regular

You could check out the cookbook 'Vive le Vegan!' by Dreena Burton.

She purposely made most recipes free of soy.
#6 Old 04-09-2005, 06:55 AM
Veggie Regular

I actually own that book! it's packed up ready to move across the country right now though. we went grocery shopping last night and bought almond milk, eggs for Caroline (can't eat them) nut butters, nuts, we have lots of lentils and beans, granola. i think things are going to be okay!! I already love almond milk.
#7 Old 04-09-2005, 01:45 PM

Bean, beans, and more beans. Rice milk is good, but doesn't have much protein.
#8 Old 04-09-2005, 01:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Nuts are good for proteins, too.
#9 Old 04-09-2005, 03:25 PM
Veggie Regular

And if you're looking for soy-free fake meats, you've always got Quorn They make great fake chicken.
#10 Old 04-09-2005, 05:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Collards have as much protein as milk! I love collards!
#11 Old 04-09-2005, 05:58 PM
Veggie Regular

i've never seen quorn anywhere in canada. where can I find it?
#12 Old 04-10-2005, 02:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludi View Post

They also have a goodly amount of calcium, too.
#13 Old 04-10-2005, 07:35 AM

For protein, you could try seitan, brown rice, whole grain breads/pastas/cereals (and of course the grains themselves), lentils, seaweed, greens.

Be sure you're getting enough B12 and vitamin C..both aid in the absorption of proteins.

And yeah...soy is everywhere.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#14 Old 04-11-2005, 02:09 PM
Veggie Regular

i just wanna say 'yup' to everything said here. there are a number of soy-free vegans out there. (i would be one of them, if this cholesterol thingy wasn't there!).

anyway.
#15 Old 04-11-2005, 02:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Try rice milk...yum yum yum
#16 Old 04-11-2005, 02:31 PM
Veggie Regular

yeah, seitan is made from wheat and you can get it dry and mix it with whatever you want. Quinoa had a ton of protein also. Bean burritos with Quinoa is a great combination, side of collards--you're all set!

Don't worry, back in the "old days" of the 80's, 70's and 60's, when veggieism started to be more common, soy wasn't around like it is now, so those people had to eat grains and pulses (and dairy for protein if they ate dairy) to make sure they got enough.

Pick up *Diet for a Small Planet*--written in the early 70's. Lots in there about beans/grains for those "old fashioned" vegetarians. (you can get it on B&N.com used for about a buck.)
#17 Old 04-11-2005, 03:06 PM

i'm trying to cut way back on the soy also. i'm not cutting it out completely yet, as i have no medical reason to do so and i don't think it will have any adverse effects on me in small amounts.

i like almond milk, especially chocolate almond breeze. i haven't tried rice milk, i don't think it's nutritionally as dense as almond milk, so i'm sticking with that for now. i'm also trying to eat more fruits and veggies, quantity and diversity-wise.

and i also second what everyone else has said.. nuts/seeds, beans, and whole grains, plenty of fruits/veggies, and enough of vitamins b12 and c.
#18 Old 04-11-2005, 05:38 PM
Veggie Regular

i've read both diet for a raw planet and hope's edge, and I loved them both. So far I'm doing ok. Though it hasn't been tested all that much, and I got food poisoning (from a veggie burger that I think might not have been) and havne't eaten much but pasta w/ tomatoe sauce and bread w/ butter for two days. thanks for the help everyone.
#19 Old 04-12-2005, 12:39 PM

Is too much soy bad for you? I eat a lot of it...
#20 Old 04-12-2005, 12:45 PM

I actually read somewhere that soy is fine for hypothyroid as long as you have adequate iodine in your diet. Ditto cruciferous vegetables, tree nuts, etc.
#21 Old 04-12-2005, 06:00 PM
Veggie Regular

i think that's true too, I think you also need to be sure not to rely on it to heavily. The reason we're cutting it out completely is to see if we can reverse the slight symptons we're showing (caroline's level aren't very off yet, but will be soon if something isn't done)
#22 Old 04-12-2005, 07:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludi View Post

oh I feel so stoopid...what are collards?
#23 Old 04-13-2005, 12:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page