increased junk food consumption!!! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-06-2005, 01:47 PM
Beginner

Hi

I was just wondering if anyone else started eating more 'junk' when cutting out dairy/eggs?

I was never one for lots of chocolate, but from the day I decided to stop eating milk, I've had crazy chocolate cravings!! And now I also crave biscuits (um, cookies I mean!), chips and all kinds of snacks.

I eat _relatively_ healthily, just wondering where my new sweet tooth came from!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-06-2005, 02:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Yup, definetely! All my vegan friends say their junk food consumption has gone way up. I think it's cos we need those concentrated calories from someplace! Now it's donuts instead of cheese.
#3 Old 04-06-2005, 02:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I find I crave junk when I am not getting something I need ( usually because I am eating junk).

Years ago I craved pizza all the time and that disappeared after I started eating broccoli

My Blog: beforewisdom.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-06-2005, 02:38 PM
Beginner

THanks guys - I guess it's probably a bit of both. Reassuring to realise I'm not the only one, but I should probably try to keep it to a minimum!!!(I've even devised some cunning vegany trash - ramen noodles (no broth!) between two slices of toast with nutritional yeast - yum!)

Anyway, back to work with me
#5 Old 04-06-2005, 03:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I go through periods of craving "junk food", and periods when I crave whole, unprocessed foods.

However, I don't think that this was much different than what I ate as an omnivore.
#6 Old 04-06-2005, 03:24 PM

Save me from potato chips.

The Rev
#7 Old 04-06-2005, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rev View Post

Save me from potato chips.

*Puts down the bag and backs away slowly*

I've been obsessed with twizzlers for the past two months. There's always that ice cream and chocolate craving in the back of my mind...i hope it goes away soon...
#8 Old 04-06-2005, 05:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, that's why God put Sourpatch Kids and soy ice cream on this green earth.

As for your question, I ate less crap and more fruits and veggies when I went vegan. But there are still some days when standing between me and my comfort food can be bad for your health. Maybe your craving for junk food will go away after you get used to the lack of milk.
#9 Old 04-06-2005, 05:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummusisyummus View Post

Well, that's why God put soy ice cream on this green earth.

Thist might be the best argument for a Diety that I have ever heard.
#10 Old 04-06-2005, 05:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I wonder ... Just thinking out loud here so bear with me...

Animal protein, fat and sugar used to be things that were very rare in the human diet.

With the advent of industrialization and mass produced foods we were able to indulge in perviously inconceivable amounts of these foods. All of which have addictive properties.

So I wonder if when we begin to eliminate one group from our diet (the fats from dairy for instance) if we start craving others to compensate for the withdrawl?!?!

I am the user formerly known as MrsKey
#11 Old 04-06-2005, 05:26 PM
Veggie Regular

since, I haven't ever eaten dairy. I'd have to answer no. Upon going veg my diet got a lot healthier and more varied.
#12 Old 04-06-2005, 08:35 PM
Beginner

I was pretty much the opposite. When I went vegan, I ate almost nothing that wasn't really healthy for a long time. I was pretty unhealthy though before I went veg and I was motivated to get healthy. Plus I was on a tight budget so I couldn't really afford junk food.
#13 Old 04-06-2005, 09:05 PM
Beginner

Just had some dark chocolate peanut butter on a bagel. mmmmm
#14 Old 04-07-2005, 12:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKey View Post

I wonder ... Just thinking out loud here so bear with me...

Animal protein, fat and sugar used to be things that were very rare in the human diet.

With the advent of industrialization and mass produced foods we were able to indulge in perviously inconceivable amounts of these foods. All of which have addictive properties.

So I wonder if when we begin to eliminate one group from our diet (the fats from dairy for instance) if we start craving others to compensate for the withdrawl?!?!

We sure do!

Because fat, salt and sugar were so rare, we evolved to crave those items so we would seek them out to get the required stuff we needed. Unfortunatly, in this land of excess, we still have those programed evolutionary responses to seek out things that are high in fat, salt and sugar, even though we get more than enough. It is an example of an instinct that was adaptive in a certain environment (where these things were hard to come by) but is now maladaptive in this new environment.

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#15 Old 04-07-2005, 04:58 AM
Beginner

If I stay away from all junk for a few weeks eventually I totally don't crave it. When I eat vegan I crave more vegan foods (yummy whole unprocessed homecooked ones). If I start eating a little junk I end up eating a lot of junk. It goes in cycles.
#16 Old 04-07-2005, 05:40 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm not exactly sure why but I actually started eating healthier after taking on a veg lifestyle. I guess maybe it was influence from these boards and all the healthy people or comments on foods like white flour :P I try to really limit my consumption of anything with too much sugar, or hydrogenated oils or corn syrup in it (actually usually high fructose.. I just try and avoid both in general because I keep forgetting to look up what's so bad about it besides being sugary etc.) Also try to eat as little white sugars and flours as possible now. I also stopped drinking soda, I won't even drink it now if it's all we have besides water to drink. I guess maybe after going veg and thinking about how not just sad but gross it is to ingest piece of an animal or its secretions, I started questioning everything else I was consuming and deciding I don't like the idea of eating other types of bad stuff either, just the idea of putting stuff like that in my body when it can be avoided, and also thinking about what it does to you and how it's not really worth it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page