Food for Thought - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-29-2005, 09:23 PM
Beginner

Why is it meat eaters can openly tease us about our decision to go veg and that's ok, but if we tease them about eating meat we're "pushing our beliefs".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-29-2005, 09:32 PM

Who cares what they think, our beliefs should be pushed.
#3 Old 03-29-2005, 09:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Must be all the hormones in meat and the testosterone it makes your body produce... makes them belligerent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-29-2005, 09:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Probably because different=scary to a lot of people. I think some people ease the tension with teasing. Not that I like it!
#5 Old 03-29-2005, 09:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalafelsRule View Post

Who cares what they think, our beliefs should be pushed.

I was just discussing modern egg farming in front of my mother. She kicked me out of the room.

The difference is we know were right so when they do it to us we only get annoyed, but when we do it to them they feel guilty, making us horrible *******s for triggering their conscience.
#6 Old 03-29-2005, 09:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Easy, because eating meat is a social norm.
#7 Old 03-29-2005, 09:49 PM
Veggie Regular

^ exactly. we're different. so it's okay to make fun of us.
#8 Old 03-29-2005, 09:55 PM
Veggie Regular

The teasing honestly doesn't bother me that much. Hahah, crazy vegetarian. Go eat grass and seaweed, freak.

Its like, ok...you have a good day.
#9 Old 03-30-2005, 11:15 AM
Veggie Regular

I aggree with both the social norm and the guilt thing. Most people alieviate thier guilt by justifying their actions and saying, well, everyone else does it too. Along come a vegetarian, and they realise, whoa- not everyone does... it is possible to make a concious decision about what food to consume. And this makes them uncomfortable, so they often react with anger, annoyance, beligerance or make excuses as to why they can continue to eat meat.

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#10 Old 03-30-2005, 02:01 PM
Veggie Regular

It makes people feel guilty and question their own values.

They laugh because they want to convince themselves that they are right.

The logic is: it's not 'normal' so it is therefore wrong.

I don't really bother talking to people like this, its a waste of energy.

ahem... rant over

WushuMom is there any particular incident that you are referring to here or are you just annoyed in general?
#11 Old 03-31-2005, 08:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelOfDance View Post

^ exactly. we're different. so it's okay to make fun of us.

Exactly!

I have to deal with this quite often... I try not to let it bother me too much though. I know i'm right.
#12 Old 04-02-2005, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WushuMom View Post

Why is it meat eaters can openly tease us about our decision to go veg and that's ok, but if we tease them about eating meat we're "pushing our beliefs".

I would say that it's because they're in the majority, however, it's certainly more socially acceptable to make fun of white people than black, so I don't know.

Maybe it's because they feel more defensive about it than we do.

The Rev
#13 Old 04-02-2005, 09:51 PM
Veggie Regular

- haven't been "picked-on"....or made fun of....

Although, I had a lengthy discussion with a nutristioanlist about my son and vegatarism...i felt challanged by her, but stood my ground...and all was fine.

She told me i should not have him on soy milk because it is too high in fat content...that he should be on skim or 1 percent cow milk....any thoughts on that one???
#14 Old 04-02-2005, 09:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Or, more food for thought:

Why can African Americans make fun of white people, and it's all cool, but then white people make fun of African Americans, and we're racist?

The world is just like this. I think it plays on history: your grandparents most likely ate meat, and perhaps they are still alive and healthy. And since they did, then we can to, after all, it goes way, way back.

Just like the black/white thing, except for with this one you have to change one thing: people have changed! Since we no-good whities who personally owned slaves on our family farm were so racist, and now that's over, then the african americans who remember when they were our slaves, and who have the beating-marks to show it, can be racist to us.

If history repeats it self like this, then indead, we will have permission to openly make fun of meat eaters.
#15 Old 04-03-2005, 12:11 AM
Veggie Regular

heh... and before Tiggzie starts feeling left out, Hispanics, too! man, those Hispanics! How come they're allowed to get special priveleges not available to the white kids, when if you gave the white kids special priveleges and not the Hispanic ones, you'd be racist?

HUH? HOW COME?
#16 Old 04-03-2005, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollie View Post

- haven't been "picked-on"....or made fun of....

Although, I had a lengthy discussion with a nutristioanlist about my son and vegatarism...i felt challanged by her, but stood my ground...and all was fine.

She told me i should not have him on soy milk because it is too high in fat content...that he should be on skim or 1 percent cow milk....any thoughts on that one???

my friend took her child to the MD for a checkup and the MD said he needed to eat more sweets and ice cream. silly MDs. I would say that unless your son is a cow he does not need cow's milk. i would recommend rice milk however, since men should not consume too much soy in my opinion.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page