Is BOOST , high protein (novartis) for vegetarians or good for vegetarians? thanks - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-26-2005, 12:38 PM

thank you for your time ............ thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-26-2005, 01:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I've not encountered this product, but I did a quick Google search and found this ingredients list:

Quote:
Vanilla):

Water, corn syrup solids, sugar, milk protein concentrate, vegetable oil (canola, high oleic sunflower, corn oils), calcium caseinate, sodium caseinate, and less than 1%: potassium citrate, artificial flavor, magnesium chloride, magnesium phosphate, salt, sodium ascorbate, betacarotene, biotin, niacinamide, calcium pantothenate, vitamin B12, vitamin B6 hydrochloride, thiamin hydrochloride, riboflavin, folic acid, potassium iodide, calcium phosphate, soy lecithin, choline chloride, vitamin E acetate, vitamin A palmitate, vitamin D3, vitamin K1, carrageenan, potassium chloride, zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, cupric sulfate, chromic chloride, sodium molybdate, sodium selenite, ferrous sulfate. Contains milk protein.

In addition to the above: Chocolateflavored liquid contains cocoa processed with alkali and ferric pyrophosphate (instead of ferrous sulfate); Strawberryflavored liquid contains Red 3 (color).

Link is here

It would not be suitable for vegans. I don't recognize all of the ingredient names, but nothing jumps out that would keep a vegetarian from using it. However, maybe someone with a better eye for trace ingredients should confirm that.
#3 Old 03-26-2005, 01:45 PM
Veggie Regular

If you want information on protein sources for vegetarians, lots of people here can help you. I personally wouldn't rely on a protein drink for my protein; that one in particular looks like it's heavily sweetened with corn syrup, which is just empty calories. If you're a body builder or someone who needs extra protein and calories it might be fine, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-26-2005, 02:17 PM
Beginner

I used to drink Boost and Boost High Protein and I thought they were okay but Borealis is right--if you're a vegan or heading in that direction, you should avoid them. I'm trying to move toward veganism (baby steps ) myself. Boost is pretty expensive and you will get more for your money by investing in a canister of Twinlabs Vege-Fuel or Naturades Soy or Soy-Free Protein (or any veg/rice/soy protein powder) and mixing it with soy or rice milk. I've saved a TON of $$$ going this route
#5 Old 03-26-2005, 02:20 PM
Veggie Regular

The nutrition is not all that great.

You could do better ( & cheaper ) with a glass of choclate soy/milk with a spoon of protein powder mixed in chased down with a drugstore bargain basement multivitamin.

My Blog: beforewisdom.com
#6 Old 03-26-2005, 03:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I did do Boost for a little while, then I started getting very sick from it. After that I tried GoLean drinks. (even though it's "go lean" it has tons of protein in it!) People looked at me funny when I bought it, because it's suppose to be a diet drink, and I really needed a calorie booster drink. But I think it does good. I also liked the taste of it a whole lot better then Boost, and it's Vegan!!

here's the link!

http://www.kashi.com/shakes.aspx?SID=1&Category_ID=53&

Vanilla: http://www.kashi.com/shakes_rtd_vani...53&Link_ID=18&

#7 Old 03-26-2005, 03:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I second the protein powder mixed with soy/rice milk option. Much more economical & tastier, plus it's vegan.
#8 Old 03-26-2005, 03:51 PM
Veggie Regular

I bought rice protein powder the other day, Haven't tried it yet though.
#9 Old 03-26-2005, 04:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I wouldn't drink these things at all. They're heavily sugared, the nutrition is next to nothing and they're expensive.

For protien, I prefer beans/legumes, whole grains, deep leafy veggies and nuts.
#10 Old 03-26-2005, 04:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Avoid Novartis like the evil, immoral, animal-abusing company it is:

http://www.xenodiaries.org/idar.htm

"Novartis are conducting pig-to-primate organ transplant experiments in several countries in an effort to develop a brand new form of animal abuse: xenotransplantation. Novartis have moved their primate vivisection from the UK to Canada because of restrictions placed on the level of suffering they could inflict on primates by the UK Home Office. Novartis is a global company that moves its research to wherever it can conduct it without unwelcome animal welfare limitations."

They also test their products on animals at Huntington Life Sciences, a notoriously sloppy and unethical research lab.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#11 Old 03-26-2005, 05:35 PM

The whole soymilk with protein powder works just as well and it is better for you.
#12 Old 03-26-2005, 05:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Leaves View Post

I did do Boost for a little while, then I started getting very sick from it. After that I tried GoLean drinks. (even though it's "go lean" it has tons of protein in it!) People looked at me funny when I bought it, because it's suppose to be a diet drink, and I really needed a calorie booster drink. But I think it does good. I also liked the taste of it a whole lot better then Boost, and it's Vegan!!

here's the link!

http://www.kashi.com/shakes.aspx?SID=1&Category_ID=53&

Vanilla: http://www.kashi.com/shakes_rtd_vani...53&Link_ID=18&

Vegan? Cool. I'll look for it tonight at the grocery store. I'm always looking for stuff I can have for a quick breakfast.
#13 Old 03-26-2005, 06:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

Avoid Novartis like the evil, immoral, animal-abusing company it is:

http://www.xenodiaries.org/idar.htm

"Novartis are conducting pig-to-primate organ transplant experiments in several countries in an effort to develop a brand new form of animal abuse: xenotransplantation. Novartis have moved their primate vivisection from the UK to Canada because of restrictions placed on the level of suffering they could inflict on primates by the UK Home Office. Novartis is a global company that moves its research to wherever it can conduct it without unwelcome animal welfare limitations."

They also test their products on animals at Huntington Life Sciences, a notoriously sloppy and unethical research lab.

Dang, that *is* evil. Good to know, though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page