Emergency! (vegan dish request) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-20-2005, 07:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I have two days to cook a Vegan meal for a friend. We are going to a birthday celebration and we are all required to bring foods, but I have no idea what to make Most of my friends (including the one celebrating the birthday) eat meat, so what would be a good thing to cook to appeal to their tastes?

They aren't supercritical (I've gotten them to eat faux meat dishes, etc - they dont really care one way or the other), so such things are welcome too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-20-2005, 07:35 PM
Veggie Regular

i always make potato salad for parties, and always get a million of complements too

you'll need:

5 lbs of potatoes, idaho or w/e the boiling kind is

1 package of celery

1 package green onions

1 can of pickles

1 or 1.5 can/s of Vegenaise

Salt, pepper and vinegar and sugar to taste

cook whole clean potatoes for about an hour - i'm sure you have cooked potatoes before and can tell when they're ready let them cool, then peel the skin off and cube. it's kind of a nasty process because you get htat starch fro mthe potatoes all over your fingers and the knife, but trust me, it's worth it. then you cut up the celery, dice or w/e it's called small cubes .... or whatever shape you like really ,and cut the onions and pickles ( it's good to have the pickles in really small pieces) mix everything together in a huge mixing blowl with the mayo. taste, add salt/pepper/sugar/ vinegar until you think it tastes good. let it stand for a couple of hours and it's ready to serve.

it's a mix between a regular potato salad and a russian dish actually ... good stuff

and it won't surprise the omnis

P.S. i think your title could use a few more words
#3 Old 03-20-2005, 07:36 PM

CT...do you need to cook a whole meal, or just a couple of dishes?

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-20-2005, 07:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Hmm. I haven't been able to find pickles that dont have Polysorbate ___ in them...
#5 Old 03-20-2005, 07:37 PM
Veggie Regular

yeah anything like that will do - macaroni salad, pasta salad (italian kind), potato salad, cabbage salad (the kind made with raman noodles & almonds)... look in the Salads category in the recipe section here and you'll find a ton of ideas

have fun!!

and vicky... that is actually just how we make our potato salad, I didn't know it was sort of russian...?? what is "regular" potato salad then? (oh and thanks, now I'm craving potato salad )
#6 Old 03-20-2005, 07:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Make black beans. Make long grain brown rice. Buy a large jar of extra hot picante sauce. Mix all three together.

My Blog: beforewisdom.com
#7 Old 03-20-2005, 07:38 PM
Veggie Regular

does your supermarket have a russian/hungarian/romanian/ethnic section? usually you can find pickles that don't have funny ingredients there.
#8 Old 03-20-2005, 07:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Depends on the crowd, but you could make navy beans and kale (minus the ham hock!). You'd win me over with that one.
#9 Old 03-20-2005, 07:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Here's a super simple recipe for Vegetarian Chili. You could even put it in a crock pot and transport it in that container.

INGREDIENTS:

\tcooking spray

1 \tonion, chopped

2\tcarrots, chopped

3 cloves\tgarlic, minced

1 can (28 oz)\tcan chopped tomatoes w/ juice

1 can (15oz)\tkidney beans, drained

1 can (15 oz)\tpinto beans, drained

1 can (15 oz)\tblack beans, drained

1 can (15 oz)\tcan whole kernel corn, drained

1 Tbs.\tchili powder

1 Tbs.\tground cumin

1 ½ tsp.\tdried oregano

1 ½ tsp.\tdried basil

1 ½ tsp.\tdried parsley

1 ½ tsp.\tgarlic powder

salt to taste

DIRECTIONS

1.Spray medium saucepan with cooking spray and heat to medium. Saute onion, carrots and garlic until tender, about 5 minutes.

2.Stir in tomatoes, beans and corn and seasonings.

3.Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium low. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Good luck and let us know what you decide on!
#10 Old 03-20-2005, 08:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

does your supermarket have a russian/hungarian/romanian/ethnic section? usually you can find pickles that don't have funny ingredients there.

Nope - its all your average fair (Wal-Mart, Smith's, etc) with a small small Vegan/Vegetarian section.

Anyway, thanks for the Vegetarian Chili recipe...I think I'm going to try that. Hopefully they will like it

Also, I'd like to bring a small snack as well. Nothing too intense...well, I'll just bring some Vegan ice cream as well.

Hopefully it'll work!
#11 Old 03-21-2005, 12:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Sweet potato casserole, the simplest thing ever.

Cook (boil, nuke, etc) sweet potatoes until fork tender. Cut into chunks, and combine with: brown sugar, margarine, orange juice, and grated orange zest. Dash of cinnamon and cloves. Bake at 350 for about 15-20 minutes.

Everyone says "oh my god it's so good!" Orange zest is the secret.

PS: Measurements are always eyeballed.... However sweet you want it.
#12 Old 03-21-2005, 01:14 AM
Banned

Mix a can of refried beans with half a jar of salsa, toss in a few chopped green onions and bring a bag of tortilla chips. Bean dip and chips is welcome at any party.
#13 Old 03-21-2005, 11:52 AM
Veggie Regular

There are a couple of dips I love to make, Sundried Tomato Pesto, and Artichoke and Green Olive Tapenade. Dips are good cause it's a "standing around and snacking food", before and after dinner. The Sundried Tomato Pesto is usually a big hit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page