boston + veggie? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-12-2005, 08:48 PM

i'm going on a trip to boston this summer - any good veg restaurants anyone can recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-12-2005, 09:00 PM
Veggie Regular

i heard that Grasshopper is really good, never been there .... and there is also some very vegan-friendly pizza place ...

we do have a few people from Boston here though, they know a lot more than i do
#3 Old 03-12-2005, 10:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I live in Boston and there's a bunch of great veggie restaurants to check out. I love Grasshopper and, if you venture out there and there's a lengthy wait, the store next door has a selection of awesome vegan subs (plus featuring the only neon green 'Vegan' sign I've yet seen).

If you're up by Harvard Square in Cambridge, don't miss Veggie Planet for awesome pizza.

Check out http://www.bostonveg.org/restaurants/ for more restaurants in Boston and the surrounding area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-13-2005, 12:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Buddah's Delight It's in china town.
#5 Old 03-13-2005, 01:23 AM
Veggie Regular

My favorites are Buddha's Delight and Grasshopper. Grasshopper is a bit out of the way, but it's only like a five minute walk from one of the green subway lines if you care to go. My favorite dish is definitely "no name" and it's not on the menu. If you like fried crispy heart-attack-on-a-plate goodness, this dish is for you.

The 7th Day Adventist chain of restaurants, Country Life, has a restaurant in Boston. I never had a chance to check it out but I did go to the one in London and it was really good. They had an all you can eat buffet, but I'm not sure if Boston's is set up similarly. I do know the place has odd hours so check them out before you head there!
#6 Old 03-13-2005, 07:44 AM
Veggie Regular

I go to Buddah's Delight everytime I'm in Boston. I've heard great things about Grasshoppers and Country Life, but I can't get anyone to take me. If you are in chinatown and would like to try Bubble Tea, most places make it with milk, but I found a couple that make it without. You just have to ask around.
#7 Old 03-13-2005, 10:22 AM

One of the places that has the vegan pizza is TJ's. It's a sub/sandwich shop literally right next door to the Grasshopper. I walked past it maybe a half dozen times before reading online (at home in Michigan ) that they had vegan pizza. They have vegan pizza at Veggie Planet too (veggieplanet.net). My experience with VP though, was less than stellar..the food was okay, but not great.

Country Life is good and is a buffet. http://members.aol.com/docvegan/clife/

Boston's a great place to be a veg. though....lots of little restaurants all over with veg*n choices. The Back Bay in particular has a pretty good selection of ethnic places.

<<<<little bit jealous of Newlin...Boston's a neat place.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#8 Old 03-13-2005, 09:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikie View Post

The 7th Day Adventist chain of restaurants, Country Life, has a restaurant in Boston. I never had a chance to check it out but I did go to the one in London and it was really good. They had an all you can eat buffet, but I'm not sure if Boston's is set up similarly. I do know the place has odd hours so check them out before you head there!

Yes, it's a buffet - all you can eat. I didn't know it was a chain, but we had an incredible meal there last fall and I would reccomend them to anyone, veg or not! Everything was really fresh and not overcooked or "strange and brown" (to quote my ex.) and prices must have been OK because I don't remember them as "one of those overpriced places"....

Also, in Jamaica Plain there's a macrobiotic restaurant (can't remember the name) that was very good.
#9 Old 03-14-2005, 03:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

Yes, it's a buffet - all you can eat. I didn't know it was a chain, but we had an incredible meal there last fall and I would reccomend them to anyone, veg or not!

Yep! And in interesting locations, too.

# Keene, NH

# Columbus, GA

# San Sebastian, Puerto Rico

# Chatanooga, TN

# London, England

# Marseille, France

# Barrancabermeja, Colombia

# Prague, Czech Republic 2 locations

# Maebashi, Japan

# Seoul, Korea 3 locations

# Basel, Switzerland
#10 Old 03-14-2005, 04:16 AM
Banned

DEFINITELY go with the No Name at the grasshopper. My omni friends die for it too!!! I have a couple coming down to visit from maine and they both demand to be taken to the grasshopper to have No Name. TJs is right next to the grasshopper, its basically your all around italian american grease food, and i think its very expensive for what it is. If you want to pay $8.99 for tofu fingers and french fries, then go ahead. Be sure to bring cash, because they charge a dollar for credit card use.

Veggie planet is good for some things, not so great for others. There's a vegan soul food place in Dorchester right across from the courthouse, but thats rather out of the way. I thought that country life had closed??? Is it really still open??

The nice thing about boston is that almost every restaurant has at least one veggie option because of all the vegetarian students. Even the irish pubs here carry veggie burgers. Have a lovely visit to our fair city!! :-)

The Centre St. cafe in Jamaica Plain is not my favorite place. I went there once with my husband and they gave me the blandest stir fry I've ever had in my life. It was the first and only time in my life I've actually sent something back saying I couldn't eat it because it was just too horrible. My husband's food was similarly terrible. A line wraps around the place for brunch, but some of my friends went for that and weren't that impressed, either. Bella Luna in Jamaica Plain has vegan cheese for making pizzas, etc. but I've heard their food is good but not great. I would say a visit to the grasshopper is the biggest thing. Pretty much every restaurant in JP has loads of veggie options though, JP is a very liberal hippie place with a latino flair. We fit in there well ;-)
#11 Old 03-14-2005, 07:20 AM
Veggie Regular

What good timing for this thread! I am staying in Boston this Saturday night and I was actually going to start a similar thread. Grasshopper is a definite yes as now I must try this No Name. Has anyone been to the brunch at Country Life? Is it worth going to?
#12 Old 03-14-2005, 07:50 AM
Banned

The brunch was decent... but I'm rather certain that its been closed... someone let me know if I'm wrong, but I feel like it's been closed for over a year....
#13 Old 03-14-2005, 08:04 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstutzma View Post

The brunch was decent... but I'm rather certain that its been closed... someone let me know if I'm wrong, but I feel like it's been closed for over a year....

Yeah...Im pretty sure its been closed for a while...almost postive its been closed. The Grasshopper is soooooooooooo goooooooooood.....the no name and happy family are def. two of the best dishes...the menu is sooo big...its almost overwhelming...Also, I HIGHLY recommend the avocado shake! There is also this place called the organic garden cafe in Beverly which is north of Boston....soooo good...a raw food restaurant www.organicgardencafe.com Also, there is the middle east in cambridge which serves very yummy hummus and falafel late night
#14 Old 03-14-2005, 09:38 AM
Banned

OH I totally forgot to add Addis Red Sea as a cool place to try interesting veg food. Its ethiopean food, completely unlike any other food you'll try, its served on this spongy bread, its fabulous. Not every city has ethiopean food so I'd strongly recommend. Also I really like The Helmand in Cambridge. That's afghani food, really really good. Call ahead because of use of butter in some things for those who are vegan, to see what you can or cannot have.
#15 Old 03-15-2005, 12:28 AM

The Soul Food place (Cafe Mosheh) is closed:

http://www.cafemosheh.com/

They had some wicked awesome (to use the Boston vernacular) barbecue.

I haven't been to Beantown since fall of '03, so that was the last time I was at Country Life. I'd be surprised if they closed though?

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#16 Old 03-15-2005, 03:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

I haven't been to Beantown since fall of '03, so that was the last time I was at Country Life. I'd be surprised if they closed though?

Hmm, it seems they have closed. At first glance, their website is still up and things look fine, but after a few clicks, some of the webpages are buggy. I tried calling the phone number and I got a not-in-service recording.
#17 Old 03-15-2005, 04:26 AM
Banned

I didn't think cafe mosheh would last way out there in Dorchester :-( Sigh.

Too bad for country life too :-( that had a great location. I wish they had been open later, I would have gone! At least we still have a few vegan restaurants within the city walls, right? ;-)
#18 Old 03-15-2005, 10:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Second vote for Country Life from my girlfriend, though she ate at it in Huntsville, Alabama.

ETA: Darn.... I will never get a chance to try the place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikie View Post

My favorites are Buddha's Delight and Grasshopper. Grasshopper is a bit out of the way, but it's only like a five minute walk from one of the green subway lines if you care to go. My favorite dish is definitely "no name" and it's not on the menu. If you like fried crispy heart-attack-on-a-plate goodness, this dish is for you.

#19 Old 03-17-2005, 12:48 AM
Veggie Regular

OH THATS TOO BAD if Country Life is closed... maybe it was over a year ago I was there? I thought less - too bad. <sigh>

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstutzma View Post

OH I totally forgot to add Addis Red Sea as a cool place to try interesting veg food. Its ethiopean food, completely unlike any other food you'll try, its served on this spongy bread, its fabulous. Not every city has ethiopean food so I'd strongly recommend.

Never been to this particular Ethiopian place, but GO! GO!

Seriously - we frequent one in Seattle and Ethiopian Food is the best! ABSOLUTELY the best stuff ever! Awesome for vegetarians and vegans!!

You will just LOVE it - and the whole experience is cool too - you can eat with your fingers if you want - and the injera (a squishy sourdough bread-like crepe made from the grain teff) is reason enough to go.

Oh yum... drooling now....
#20 Old 03-20-2005, 09:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Well, I just got back from Boston. Grasshopper rocks!!!!! I got the No Name which was awesome. I am afraid to think about how much fat was in it(it was fried to a crisp!) but it was worth it. I went next door to TJs after and got a slice of vegan blueberry cheescake. I was going to get some pizza but they didn't sell vegan slices. Next time. I must go back to Boston soon!
#21 Old 03-20-2005, 02:38 PM
Banned

Awesome! Glad you enjoyed!!!

Oh btw I wanted to post a link to the ethiopean restaurant, they recently updated their website with some beautiful pictures (and the word VEGAN written in multiple places! woo hoo!)

http://www.addisredsea.com/vegetarian_entrees.html
#22 Old 03-20-2005, 02:55 PM
Veggie Regular

ahhh boston...i lived there for about 11 years and frequented many many of these places. grasshopper didn't exist yet, but there used to be a great semi macro/veg restaurant in JP, gone now.

this past summer i lived in boston again for the first time in 9 years, ate at grasshopper though sadly did not know of the no name...alas.

boston is a wonderful city though too traffic-y and expensive for me anymore.

easy place to be veg though

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page