Acrylamide- carcinogen found in overcoked starch/carbohydrates - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-11-2005, 09:24 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acrylamide

^ I stumbled upon this article today and I thought I'd share it.

"Acrylamide is also a probable carcinogen found in small quantities in some foods. It is believed to be created in foods when starches and other carbohydrates are overheated (far past 100°C) during cooking. Some sources claim that people in the modern world consume daily on average around 25 micrograms of acrylamide, and that this accounts for a significant number of cases of cancer."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-11-2005, 09:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I remember learning in chemistry class that eating burnt food, like toast, on a regular basis could lead to cancer.
#3 Old 03-11-2005, 09:32 PM
Beginner

I think that pretty much EVERYTHING can lead to cancer. It all starts to get so ridiculous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-11-2005, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugvet View Post

I think that pretty much EVERYTHING can lead to cancer. It all starts to get so ridiculous.

yeah.

even NASA causes cancer.

it sounds bizarre, but it's true (it's a fact that they once screwed up and accidentally exposed the whole world to twice the toxic dose of plutonium or some radiocative material).

i don't think i'll see myself eating a whole lot of french fries anytime soon.

i'm a little carcinogen-phobic.
#5 Old 03-11-2005, 09:39 PM
Veggie Regular

This is interesting because i was reading on Wednesday during a school insurance briefing that 1 out of 2 American men are affected with cancer during their lifetime, and 1 in 3 women. I found this information startling and was wondering if there had been a significant increase in cancer and if so, what could account for it.

B
#6 Old 03-11-2005, 09:47 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethanie View Post

This is interesting because i was reading on Wednesday during a school insurance briefing that 1 out of 2 American men are affected with cancer during their lifetime, and 1 in 3 women. I found this information startling and was wondering if there had been a significant increase in cancer and if so, what could account for it.

B

Perhaps there ISN'T a significant increase in cancer. Perhaps it is just a significant increase in our ability to detect it. For many hundreds (thousands) of years people died after long illnesses ("they took sick/ill") and nobody really knew what was wrong with them. Maybe they had cancer.
#7 Old 01-10-2006, 12:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Here's a question: The article states that acrylamide is not produced by cooking, yet acrylamide is present in heavily browned bread, fried potatoes, and heavily roasted products such as coffee and charred meat. This seems contradictory. It would be more accurate to say "Browning and burning food produces acrylamides", rather than ' cooking food does not create acrylamides ' and 'heavily cooked foods contain acrylamides.'
#8 Old 01-10-2006, 03:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

Here's a question: The article states that acrylamide is not produced by cooking, yet acrylamide is present in heavily browned bread, fried potatoes, and heavily roasted products such as coffee and charred meat. This seems contradictory. It would be more accurate to say "Browning and burning food produces acrylamides", rather than ' cooking food does not create acrylamides ' and 'heavily cooked foods contain acrylamides.'

the real problem is that they don't know exactly WHY or HOW the acrylamide gets there.

i remember when this all came out a few years ago everyone was shocked.

acrylamide in the lab is treated as this heavily carcinogenic material and here people are eating loads of it everyday.

what it more likely means is that acrylamide is not so bad as we all thought.
#9 Old 01-10-2006, 03:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Perhaps there ISN'T a significant increase in cancer. Perhaps it is just a significant increase in our ability to detect it. For many hundreds (thousands) of years people died after long illnesses ("they took sick/ill") and nobody really knew what was wrong with them. Maybe they had cancer.

Or an increase in lifespan, which gives more time for cancer to develop....?
#10 Old 01-10-2006, 03:35 PM
Veggie Regular

The good news is, NOT having animal products in the diet appears to decrease one's chance of developing cancer after exposure to a carcinogen. Any of you who read The China Study probably remember the remarkable rat studies he did early in his career, which showed that rats exposed to aflotoxin, the world's most potent known carcinogen, and then fed a vegan diet failed to develop cancer, while the rats similarly exposed and then fed a diet supplemented with whey protein, all died of liver cancer-- the very cancer aflotoxin is known to cause. The China Study itself suggests a similar trend in humans.
#11 Old 01-10-2006, 05:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Sorta veering off-topic, but Tess, I agree. Dr. Campbell's "rat studies" were fascinating! I didn't read The China Study 'till some time after switching to a vegan diet, but I think it might have significantly influenced my decision, had I not already chosen to go vegan.

When I ordered it from Amazon, I got another book (you know how Amazon conveniently "recommends" books to go along with...) called The Vegan Diet As Chronic Disease Prevention: Evidence Supporting the New Four Food Groups and I just started reading it this week - it is amazing as well... if you ever doubted any reason to go vegan, you wouldn't after reading both these books, for SURE!!
#12 Old 01-10-2006, 05:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by catswym View Post

i remember when this all came out a few years ago everyone was shocked.

(OK, I'm back on topic now)

I remember when this all came out too, I sort of wondered if it was the big Atkins "carbs-are-bad" phase that spurred the research and "scared" people...

Of more concern to me is when meat burns or smokes, PAHs are formed (polycyclec-something-I-can't-remember-hydrocarbons). They are extremely carginogeous. (You could Google the word if I could remember exactly what it was...)

You don't hear much about it however, because the meat industry does a good job glossing over this info. Who wants a steak without those charred grill marks after all?

I guess I'm not too worried about eating an occasional piece of burned toast until further and more compelling research is done, but the info on carcinogens in BBQ/burned/over-cooked meats and their smoke/fumes is much more detailed, in-depth and convincing... I'm SOOO glad no one in my house eats or cooks the stuff any more, the smoke in the air used to ALWAYS freak me out!!
#13 Old 01-10-2006, 06:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

SI got another book (you know how Amazon conveniently "recommends" books to go along with...) called The Vegan Diet As Chronic Disease Prevention: Evidence Supporting the New Four Food Groups and I just started reading it this week - it is amazing as well... if you ever doubted any reason to go vegan, you wouldn't after reading both these books, for SURE!!

Interesting, I'll have to check it out... as if I didn't have enough reason to get the last of the dairy out already!
#14 Old 01-10-2006, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

Of more concern to me is when meat burns or smokes, PAHs are formed (polycyclec-something-I-can't-remember-hydrocarbons). They are extremely carginogeous. (You could Google the word if I could remember exactly what it was...)

polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/tfacts69.html
#15 Old 01-10-2006, 09:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcrash22 View Post

polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/tfacts69.html

Ahhh... thank you!
#16 Old 01-10-2006, 10:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I don't have sources , but it has been suggested that the changes to our environments are what are causing the increase in cancer. If you look at the past 30 years, our life expectancy hasn't gone up a tremendous amount (it has a little) but the cancer rates are way up, specially breast cancer.

There was a speaker that came to my school once that talked about how towns near landfills have a ridiculously high percentage of its citizens develop cancer when compared to other towns. It is most likely environmental effects that create this large jump in cancer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page