It is here: Dr. Greger's new book: Carbophobia: - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-05-2005, 09:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Carbophobia: The Scary Truth about America's Low-Carb Craze

by Dr. Michael Greger MD

ISBN: 1590560868

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...560868/qid=111 0040056/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/104-5870

My Blog: beforewisdom.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-05-2005, 10:13 AM

Looks like a great book. I should buy a few copies for some of my co-workers who are on low-carb diets. Ironically, they haven't lost any weight and most of them are sick all of the time.
#3 Old 03-05-2005, 06:08 PM
Veggie Regular

I just ordered my copy!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-05-2005, 06:24 PM
Baby Love

Looks interesting. I wish I had seen this earlier! I was already at the book store today looking for something on traditional Asian architecture ... not related, but maybe they would have had it!
#5 Old 03-05-2005, 06:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinga View Post

Looks interesting. I wish I had seen this earlier! I was already at the book store today looking for something on traditional Asian architecture ... not related, but maybe they would have had it!

Well, when I ordered it from amazon tonight the site suggested that I may be interested in Dr. Campbell's book on the China Study .

#6 Old 03-05-2005, 06:31 PM
Baby Love

Hmmm. Whats the China Study? Is it similar to the Okinawin Study?
#7 Old 03-05-2005, 06:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Hmmm. Whats the China Study? Is it similar to the Okinawin Study?

Bigger, better, older.

Back in the 80's a MASSIVE population study on China was done with regards to health, nutrition, habits etc. Many scientists considered it ideal since few Chinese move around a lot in their lives, often staying in the same area, with the same lifestyle habits for most of their lives.

In a nutshell, modern yuppie Chinese eating more like we do got sick like we do.

Rural Chinese who do hard physical labor every day living off 4 ounces of meat a day( 2-4 thick slices of cold cuts), rice, butt loads of veggie, and green tea had stellar health.

#8 Old 03-05-2005, 06:45 PM
Baby Love

Ah. That does sound a lot like the Okinawin study. I think it was referenced in the Okinawin 'diet' book I have. It also relates to volumetrics. Anyways ... sorry for getting off topic
#9 Old 03-05-2005, 06:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Ah. That does sound a lot like the Okinawin study. I think it was referenced in the Okinawin 'diet' book I have. It also relates to volumetrics. Anyways ... sorry for getting off topic

FYI:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...=UTF8&v=glance

Forget about Asian architecture. If I had the cash I would build a knock off of FLW's FW.

30's western architecture is where it is at.

#10 Old 03-06-2005, 09:37 AM
Beginner

I went to read the write-up on the Carbophobia, and was suggested The China Study, as well. So...I ordered it! I also ordered "Fast Food Nation" which is a book I have been meaning to read for a long time!

As for Carbophobia...I think I'll wait for that one to come out in paperback. Looks really interesting, though.

Something I'm wondering about is how most of us feel about these studies, in light of the fact that these communities of people with stellar health (rural Chinese, and the Okinawans, and Mediteraneans) are NOT vegetarian. Although they eat a MOSTLY plant-based diet, they do eat small amounts of meat, or fish, or dairy (depending on the community). So...the conclusions of these books are not really that a vegan, or even vegetarian diet, is the key....but rather an omnivourous diet that is heavy on the plant-based foods. What do you guys think of this?
#11 Old 03-06-2005, 09:44 AM
Veggie Regular

I saw a book review of it in Herbivore yesterday. Dr. Greger is awesome! I have a couple of his dvds and I definitely plan on getting this book.
#12 Old 03-06-2005, 09:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugvet View Post

So...the conclusions of these books are not really that a vegan, or even vegetarian diet, is the key....but rather an omnivourous diet that is heavy on the plant-based foods. What do you guys think of this?

It doesn't bother me. The amount of animal products in those diets are inconsequential so I think that says a lot against the standard American diet and even more against the low carb wahoos.

The farmers ( people doing hard physical labor all day ) in the China Study only had 4 ounces of meat a day. I used to make turkey slices for sandwhiches at a co-op I worked for in college. Two slices were 3 ounces.

It wasn't that long ago that many people said that if you didn't get animal products at every meal that you would shrivel up.

#13 Old 03-06-2005, 09:45 AM
Baby Love

^ Yes, I have noticed that, but I appreciate that fact that they stress that these people consume few animal products and a lot of plants! I am not the type who thinks its unnatural for people to eat meat or eggs, but I think its unhealthy and unnecessarily cruel to have them in the quantities seen in average western diets today. In general, I think anyone (veg or not) could learn a lot from those studies.

ETA - My arrow was pointing to Pugvet
#14 Old 03-06-2005, 10:01 AM
Beginner

Quote:

^ Yes, I have noticed that, but I appreciate that fact that they stress that these people consume few animal products and a lot of plants! I am not the type who thinks its unnatural for people to eat meat or eggs, but I think its unhealthy and unnecessarily cruel to have them in the quantities seen in average western diets today. In general, I think anyone (veg or not) could learn a lot from those studies.

ETA - My arrow was pointing to Pugvet

I totally agree with you on this! The quantities of animal products that people in this country eat, is appalling. I also agree that it is not unnatural for people to eat meat, fish or eggs......dairy products, on the other hand, is a bit weird. However, I guess what I am wondering is......is the 4 oz. of meat a day, as inconsequential as we think it is? Is that small amount of meat supplying them with nutrients/cofactors of some kind that cannot be found elswhere, and is essential to their excellent health? Just a thought.

#15 Old 03-06-2005, 10:11 AM
Baby Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugvet View Post

I totally agree with you on this! The quantities of animal products that people in this country eat, is appalling. I also agree that it is not unnatural for people to eat meat, fish or eggs......dairy products, on the other hand, is a bit weird. However, I guess what I am wondering is......is the 4 oz. of meat a day, as inconsequential as we think it is? Is that small amount of meat supplying them with nutrients/cofactors of some kind that cannot be found elswhere, and is essential to their excellent health? Just a thought.

I haven't read all of these studies, so I am not sure on the precise nutrient breakdown. Seeing as its a traditional culture, their availablity of foods may be slightly different than ours making it harder to compare to say a modern day vegan. However, in my Okinawin book it states vegetarianism as a healthy normal thing ... not far off from the studied plan. It would be interesting to see similar studies on long term vegetarians with comparible lifestyles. Someone here needs to buy an island and start a commune so we can get some accurate info 50 years from now
#16 Old 03-06-2005, 12:38 PM
Baby Love

I went to look for this book and couldn't find it. It may be because I was remembering it as Carbphobia .. rather than Carbophobia. Oops! I did get plenty of strange looks, though. People always glare at me when I'm in the diet/nutrition section or ask for books with dietish words in the title. I guess the fact that I'm not overweight makes is unacceptible for me to be interested in anything diet related ... Besides all the funny looks, I got the China Study book. I also got another Okinawan one

Happy reading to me!
#17 Old 03-06-2005, 12:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I went to look for this book and couldn't find it. It may be because I was remembering it as Carbphobia .. rather than Carbophobia. Oops! I did get plenty of strange looks, though. People always glare at me when I'm in the diet/nutrition section or ask for books with dietish words in the title. I guess the fact that I'm not overweight makes is unacceptible for me to be interested in anything diet related ... Besides all the funny looks, I got the China Study book. I also got another Okinawan one

Happy reading to me!

At Amazon it had the publishing date as this month so they may not have had it.

Steve

#18 Old 03-06-2005, 12:45 PM
Baby Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by beforewisdom View Post

At Amazon it had the publishing date as this month so they may not have had it.

Steve

Yup. That was my other guess. At one of the bookstores, I had them do an author search on Dr. Greger and they didn't find it that way either. Thats alright, though. I have two books to keep me busy until Carbophobia is readily available
#19 Old 03-08-2005, 11:22 AM
Baby Love

Just an added note ... Since I have started reading The China Study, I have to address my earlier comment. The China Study recommends NOT eating any animal products beyond anything that accidentally ends up in your food (someone gives you veggie soup made with chicken broth, your bread contains whey, etc.). So far, the whole book is based on how any amount of animal protein ups your chances at disease. The related study proved that consuming a diet with animal related proteins increases your risk of cancer while cutting out those proteins decreases, slows, or eliminates the process. This was using the average americans diet of 20% protein as the high end.

I'm still reading, but I thought I should point that out.
#20 Old 03-08-2005, 11:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Just an added note ... Since I have started reading The China Study, I have to address my earlier comment. The China Study recommends NOT eating any animal products beyond anything that accidentally ends up in your food (someone gives you veggie soup made with chicken broth, your bread contains whey, etc.). So far, the whole book is based on how any amount of animal protein ups your chances at disease. The related study proved that consuming a diet with animal related proteins increases your risk of cancer while cutting out those proteins decreases, slows, or eliminates the process. This was using the average americans diet of 20% protein as the high end.

I'm still reading, but I thought I should point that out.

Good girl! Here is your stale bagel for the day .

#21 Old 03-08-2005, 11:46 AM
Baby Love

I don't want a stink'n stale bagel! *slaps bagel away* Hrrumpf.
#22 Old 03-18-2005, 05:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I got my copy of Dr. Greger's book CARBOPHOBIA yesterday

( isbn 1-59056-086-8 )

It is printed on 100% post consumer paper.

He is donating all of the profits to charity

The language in this book is very clear.

This book has 57 pages of references and citations.

This book also has a 39 page section with the Atkins Corporation's side of the story and Dr. Greger's rebuttal to their counter arguments.

This is an easy to read well documented book.

The author also has much of his research about low carb diets available for free on his web site at:

http://atkinsexposed.org/

#23 Old 03-18-2005, 05:16 PM
Baby Love

... but is it in stores yet? I'm tired of driving over there to find nothing of interest
#24 Old 03-18-2005, 05:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

... but is it in stores yet? I'm tired of driving over there to find nothing of interest

A-M-A-Z-O-N-D-O-T-C-O-M

#25 Old 03-18-2005, 05:25 PM
Baby Love

I-d-o-n-t-l-i-k-e-o-r-d-e-r-i-n-g-o-n-l-i-n-e-i-d-r-a-t-h-e-r-s-e-e-i-t-b-e-f-o-r-e-i-b-u-y-i-t
#26 Old 03-18-2005, 05:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I-d-o-n-t-l-i-k-e-o-r-d-e-r-i-n-g-o-n-l-i-n-e-i-d-r-a-t-h-e-r-s-e-e-i-t-b-e-f-o-r-e-i-b-u-y-i-t

Oy.

#27 Old 03-18-2005, 05:38 PM
Baby Love

Just trying to speak your language, man.
#28 Old 03-18-2005, 11:21 PM

yay, meester gregor just talked at my school.. hes got some good freaking stuff to say, cant wait to read the book
#29 Old 03-19-2005, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treybo View Post

yay, meester gregor just talked at my school.. hes got some good freaking stuff to say, cant wait to read the book

Yep, I have heard him talk and he is here again at U of Rochester on the 20th. I am hoping he may have copies of the book with him.

Isn't he a great speaker?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page