Ick...bad pizza experience. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-02-2005, 10:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not sure if this is the right board for this, but I hope it's ok.

My husband and I occaisonly will order a cheeseless vegetarian pizza from Papa John's pizza. Our understanding is that the crust has no egg or dairy products. Imagine our horror tonight when we ordered a pizza (we were too busy to cook), and it came with bacon pieces and a chicken strip concealed under the vegetables. Our best guess is that somebody decided it would be funny to make the vegans eat meat without knowing it. Unfortunatly, we both did eat a tiny bit before figuring it out, and now we both feel awful.

We were not given a refund for our pizza when we called to complain, although we did get a coupon for a free pizza that we are not planning to use.

I would highly recommend against patronizing Papa John's in the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-02-2005, 10:31 PM

It's awful that they messed up your order. Sometimes people mess up, though. Hopefully it wasn't intentional, and just a mistake.
#3 Old 03-02-2005, 10:36 PM
Veggie Regular

How could they not give you a refund?! You call right back and speak to a manager. They need to give your money back and bring you back exactly what you ordered.

ETA: And if you don't get a refund, I'd definetely drop a line to the BBB. You can do it online if you want.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-02-2005, 10:39 PM
Veggie Regular

i agree with kpickell. they need to at least give you a refund...i have never heard of a place not doing that when an incorrect order is given. im sorry that happened to u though
#5 Old 03-02-2005, 10:44 PM
Veggie Regular

No refund?!?

When I worked at a Little Caesars... not only would you get to keep that one, but you'd get a fresh one, and possibly a free drink or something for your trouble...

Although it is also very possible that they were making a pizza, and the ingredients got "mixed" accidently, then it was put on yours without them realizing it.
#6 Old 03-02-2005, 10:45 PM

Heck yeah, they need to give you a refund. They did not deliver the product promised, it's as simple as that.

I have only good experiences with PJ's, however.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#7 Old 03-02-2005, 10:55 PM
Veggie Regular

OMG! That's effin' nastay. They absolutely should give you your money back. Don't take stuff like that! Write corporate! COMPLAIN.

d
#8 Old 03-02-2005, 11:00 PM
Veggie Regular

sheeesh... I just order from them once in a while when the migraines hit and mommy can't cook or drive (yay delivery). Never had a problem. But, you should definitely get your money back as they did not give you what you ordered.
#9 Old 03-02-2005, 11:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Unfortunatly, we did talk to the manager. He was the one who made the pizza. My husband called him, and kind of got the impression that the guy did it on purpose. There shouldn't have been any meat on the pizza, anyway, since it was a vegetarian pizza. The lack of cheese was a special order; the lack of meat should've been standard.

I did fire off a nasty complaint to the corporate headquarters. I gave them the name of the manager, quoted him, and told which store he manages. I normally would never say this, but I hope he gets fired. If it was intentional, then he's a sick *******. If it was unintentional, then his kitchen is so disorganized and messy that it is undoubtedly breaking the health code. There wasn't enough meat for someone to have made a mistake and made a meat pizza, so it was either contamination of the vegetables (unsanitary), or intentional. We have never had a problem with meat on the pizza before, and we've ordered from this store a few times.

GRRRRR... Sorry, I am still really mad.
#10 Old 03-02-2005, 11:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morticia View Post

We were not given a refund for our pizza when we called to complain, although we did get a coupon for a free pizza that we are not planning to use.

No refund??? I assumed you talked to the manager. That's outrageous -- it's not what you ordered so they essentially stole your money.
#11 Old 03-02-2005, 11:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Please let us know how the corporate headquarters responds. This is so stupid, the manager's such a donkey....
#12 Old 03-02-2005, 11:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLRodgers View Post

Although it is also very possible that they were making a pizza, and the ingredients got "mixed" accidently, then it was put on yours without them realizing it.

On a more obnoxious day, I would tell someone that "Duh" is not a customer service-oriented response.

Ever wanted to just toss a boxless pizza upside down on a delivery place's counter and say "Here's your pizza back."?

Sorry -- I can just so relate to your experience. It has me steamed now.
#13 Old 03-02-2005, 11:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Unfortunatly, we did talk to the manager. He was the one who made the pizza. My husband called him, and kind of got the impression that the guy did it on purpose. There shouldn't have been any meat on the pizza, anyway, since it was a vegetarian pizza. The lack of cheese was a special order; the lack of meat should've been standard.

I did fire off a nasty complaint to the corporate headquarters. I gave them the name of the manager, quoted him, and told which store he manages. I normally would never say this, but I hope he gets fired. If it was intentional, then he's a sick *******. If it was unintentional, then his kitchen is so disorganized and messy that it is undoubtedly breaking the health code. There wasn't enough meat for someone to have made a mistake and made a meat pizza, so it was either contamination of the vegetables (unsanitary), or intentional. We have never had a problem with meat on the pizza before, and we've ordered from this store a few times.

GRRRRR... Sorry, I am still really mad.

If you sent an email, consider sending a letter in addition. I've noticed that regular letters tend to get a lot more attention than email. In one of my classes last semester, one of the assignments was to write a letter of complaint or compliment to a local business. We discussed effective rhetoric and how best to get your point across and be taken seriously. My instructor said writing that angry scathing letter is good for venting, but then take that and edit it to eliminate some of the "you're so incredibly stupid" type things. A strongly worded letter that avoids logical fallicies is a lot more effective.
#14 Old 03-03-2005, 12:00 AM
Veggie Regular

That's good that you wrote to the headquarters. I'd still also write to the BBB. At least around here they are very good at getting businesses to apologize and make things right.

I'm glad I've never had a bad experience from our Papa John's. I probably wouldn't go back if the manager did something like that.
#15 Old 03-03-2005, 01:10 AM
Veggie Regular

My local Papa John's knows my order by heart, I don't even need to tell them what I want anymore. I think I order pizza too much.
#16 Old 03-03-2005, 01:15 AM
Banned

If you paid with a credit card, call the 800 number on the back, tell them what happened, and have them deny the charge.
#17 Old 03-03-2005, 07:34 AM
Veggie Regular

You paid for a vegetarian pizza, and they didn't deliver that. As i see it, you should be entitled to a refund.
#18 Old 03-03-2005, 07:49 AM

i probably shouldnt say this, but it seems to me like it would have had to been on purpose.. the chicken is on the far left and the veggies are on the right - its sposed to be standard, they might have set it up differently at that specific pj's.. but it would have been some airborn chicken to make that mistake. also, the people on the make line have to constantly stick their mits in every bin.. from cheese to meats to veggies, and the greases and wtfelse from the pig-frisbees and other animal products make a nice coat on the hands that can last all night.. YUMMMMMMY! also, the thin crust has cheese in it, and the pan crust.... i wouldnt recommend breathing fumes emited from it, much less consume it. (the hand-tossed is clean)

sorry to hear about that.. animal pieces ruining a pretty vegan pizza has got to be one of the worst injustices!!!! to be fair, when i worked at pj's my coworkers were very friendly to my veganism and were always cautious when making a veg pizza.. they would clean the blade of the cutter for them as well (thats a GOOD THING).
#19 Old 03-03-2005, 07:52 AM
Veggie Regular

PJ's pizza sucks anyway.

If you have a Little Caesar's around there, you should go for their pizza. I'd recommend asking for extra veggies, but I ordered once and it was good. When I went in to pick it up, the girl asked, "Are you vegan?" And I told her yes, and she said, "Oh that's cool. I have a lot of hippie friends so I know the drill..." b/c I had ordered a cheeseless pizza. Though not all hippies are vegetarian/vegan, nor are all vegetarians/vegans hippies...

That's too bad though. PJ's doesn't seem like the kind of place that would make any sort of effort to "alternate" pizza choices. LC's, however, has a thing on their website addressing vegetarian diet choices

Cheers for next time!
#20 Old 03-03-2005, 08:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Sorry about your nasty pizza ecperience...add that to the list of reasons I wil *not* eat at a restaurant that isn't veg*n...
#21 Old 03-03-2005, 08:58 AM
Veggie Regular

i worked at domino's for a long time.

i have no idea about pj's and their chicken strips, but i will say that some pieces of meat ending up on a veggie is more common than it should be. there are so many reasons for this, from the way a store might set up the make line (if the bacon bin is above the onion bin, for example, a few pieces of bacon might fall into the onion bin and go unnoticed) to utensils to a store's closing procedure and everything in between. even the cleaner restaurants i have worked at and visited (not just pizza places) have some issues like this, even if they pass the health inspection with flying colors. i wouldn't be surprised if it was truly unintentional. most employees at these places are not veg*n and they just genuinely don't think about it.

when i get pizza these days, i get it from an employee that i know so i can ask that they use clean utensils and veggies from new bins that haven't been sitting on the make line. at the stores where i worked, when someone made it clear that it was very important to them that we took these measures to avoid contamination, then we did what we could. but i worked in stores full of nice folks who honestly wanted to make the customer happy. i wouldn't doubt that some other stores would just say "yeah sure" and then ignore it.

that is pretty ridiculous that he did not give you a refund. even though i don't know much about pj's, i would venture to say that he is actually violating policy. when i was a manager and a customer had a major problem, i would replace the order or give a refund, then mail a gift certificate and coupons with a handwritten apology. a quick call to corporate should take care of his ugly behavior.
#22 Old 03-03-2005, 09:11 AM
Veggie Regular

I had a very similar incident happen not once, but twice with a local pizza delivery place here in OK. I was L/O at the time, so the pizzas I ordered had cheese. However, once I found some sausage under my green pepper and mushroom and once I found a chicken strip thing under a piece of tomato. (they used big slices).

Looking back, I should have raised Cain with them. I didn't, but I did boycott their restaurant and told a few other people about it.

I have since moved to a different part of town. The same restaurant has a different branch in this part of town, and I have had decent luck so far. I haven't been brave enough to order a pizza yet, but the veggie subs (no cheese) have all been okay.

I wouldn't put it past someone to think it was funny to play a prank like that. However, it could have been a mistake. Either way, I agree, that if you paid for it and didn't get what you paid for, they needed to make it square with you since it was their fault- not yours.
#23 Old 03-03-2005, 09:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Brandon View Post

Either way, I agree, that if you paid for it and didn't get what you paid for, they needed to make it square with you since it was their fault- not yours.

Yep.

What is happening to customer service these days? Is it getting worse, or am I just getting that much older?!
#24 Old 03-03-2005, 10:56 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm sorry to show my ignorance, but what is BBB?
#25 Old 03-03-2005, 11:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I'm sorry to show my ignorance, but what is BBB?

The Better Business Bureau. http://www.bbb.org/
#26 Old 03-03-2005, 11:09 AM
Veggie Regular

oh, ok. that makes sense. thanks!
#27 Old 03-03-2005, 11:13 AM

This thread reminds me of countless mistakes from Pizza Hut. Is why I choose to make pizza at home.. not that i crave it anymore. If its not pizza, then its something else. You can use uncooked tortilla.. spread those pizza sauce and add veggies.. YUM! Bake it or just roll it up.

I work at Subway.. I know its different, but i know how meat and veggies are set up differently. Employees wear gloves but after touching the meat, the same hand touches the vegetables. For me... if I make a sandwich, i do the veggies and i change my gloves often for the vegetarian/vegan folks.
#28 Old 03-03-2005, 05:37 PM

I have ordered from Papa Johns before as one of my places of employment receives a 50% discount. The first time the pizza was okay, it was made exactly as I requested (I asked for it to not be sliced). The second (and last) time I ordered from them the pizza came sliced even though I asked for it to not be sliced. I called back and asked for them to come back and get the pizza and that I wanted a refund. They told me that they would come back shortly. An hour passed and they did not come back. I called back again and was told that they were too busy and that I'd have to drive to their location and pick up my refund. Upon arriving, I was given my refund but not the tip I gave the driver. I, the clerk, and the driver began arguing. I decided to just leave without being given my tip back as I did not want the situation to lead to me getting arrested. Anyway, they had the nerve to call my employer and say that I beat both of them up and that I was lucky they werent going to press charges, WTF! Fortunately my employer did not believe them. After that happened, I decided never to give Papa Johns any of my business.
#29 Old 03-03-2005, 05:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalafelsRule View Post

Anyway, they had the nerve to call my employer and say that I beat both of them up and that I was lucky they werent going to press charges, WTF! Fortunately my employer did not believe them. After that happened, I decided never to give Papa Johns any of my business.

HA! That is terrible! What a bunch of pathetic jerks- saying that you "beat both of them up" how insane!
#30 Old 03-03-2005, 05:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I've had a few experiences like this. One in particular made me really angry, because it came from a restaurant right next to where I work that all of us (we are all vegetarians) frequently order from. They kept Boca Burgers on hand for us all the time although they aren't typically on the menu, and they started making these really good baked potatoes for us with black beans and salsa and veggies.

It was lovely until I ordered a potato thing that typically has cheese on it, asking if they would please hold the cheese and add black beans. When it came it was covered in cheese, which was most likely an honest mistake, so I walked it back and asked them to please make me another. They did, so I brought it back and sat down to eat.

When I took the first bite I about puked on the spot. See, it comes with grilled onions and they were covered in beef grease and cow bits, like they purposely cooked my stuff on a dirty, animal part covered grill. I told my boss and he supposedly said something to them, but I will never eat there again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page