Paying sister to go vegetarian... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-27-2005, 09:47 PM

My sister has a vegetarian friend that she works with and he recommended a book called "Slaughterhouse" for her to read. She was very interested in it and talked to me about it after reading. I cut her a deal, and I'll pay her if she can go vegetarian for a week. She has agreed to, but I was thinking about it, and I remember "certain bad reactions" at first when I became vegetarian and am worried about how her body will react to soy and other ingredients she is not used to. I don't want to make her sick, but I think it's really cool that she would try it out. It can't be that bad compared to her diet of mainly fast food!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-27-2005, 09:54 PM
Veggie Regular

If she's going lacto-ovo, there's probably few MAJOR changes that she'll go through in just a week - Mexican food, Asian, many pasta dishes, salads, soups, breads, lots of the things she probably already eats are within the 'lacto-ovo' guidelines. (Even living on fast food, there's quite a few choices - not GOOD choices, but some available anyway...)

She may not even run across any reason to substitute soy or introduce ingredients she isn't used to... (except maybe a bit more fiber from - hopefully - a few more veggies and fruits)...
#3 Old 02-27-2005, 09:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Maybe she should stick to more everyday non meat foods, (stuff that she would normally eat anyway and is incidentally vegetarian) at first if you think she may have a reaction to soy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-27-2005, 10:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Are you sure she's not used to soy? Soy is used in a LOT of different food products, so odds are she's had some of it without either she or you being aware of it.

*this space not for sale*
#5 Old 02-27-2005, 10:07 PM

Good point Amy, I think I'll give her some veggie ideas. She has tried one of my soy products once. She loved the "corn dogs" that morningstar farms makes.
#6 Old 02-28-2005, 07:25 AM
Veggie Regular

i think paying her is weird.
#7 Old 02-28-2005, 07:30 AM
Veggie Regular

^^

Just curious- how old are you both and how much are you paying her? Will you be making any of her meals or going shopping with her?
#8 Old 02-28-2005, 12:10 PM
Jes
Veggie Regular

What "certain bad reactions" are you talking about?
#9 Old 02-28-2005, 12:48 PM
Veggie Regular

That's awsome! I made my sister relize what she was eating one time, but bye the time church was over, she had forgotten. We were sitting in the service, and I drew a picture of her, then of my dog, cat and bird. She told me to draw a picture of this wild rooster who her friend and she named BAM the rooster. I drew a picture of it in a pot. This really upset her. I know that it wasn't the right way to aproach the topic, but she always cracks her jokes on me, and I couldn't stop myself.

Anyways, I think it's cool. Pack your sister's lunch for her, and make her supper. Just double what you're eating, but be carefull about "certain reactions." It would be awsome if she would go veggie. I would die from shock if my sister did this.

Best wishes,

Jennifer
#10 Old 02-28-2005, 03:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Back when I went veggie the first time, about 15 years ago, all this soy-fake meat stuff didn't exist. She could easily eat peanut butter/jelly, falafel, veggie pasta, grilled cheese, bean burritos/tacos, stir-fry for a week and not get tired of those kinds of things. Then move on to soy products, if you think the soy might be too much for her to handle right now.

Although, fake chicken nuggets are enough to get anyone off real ones. Chick'n nuggets are goooood, especially with good dipping sauce
#11 Old 02-28-2005, 08:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post

i think paying her is weird.

Psst! Could you please point out how that is a supportive post?
#12 Old 02-28-2005, 08:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by epski View Post

Psst! Could you please point out how that is a supportive post?

Are you saying there's something wrong with being weird?
#13 Old 02-28-2005, 08:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post

Are you saying there's something wrong with being weird?

#14 Old 02-28-2005, 08:04 PM
Veggie Regular

meatless
#15 Old 02-28-2005, 08:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't think it's that wierd.

I payed my (six year old) brother $2 to brush his teeth with our dogs beef flavored toothpaste.

That's wierd, especially since I'm vegan. I just thought it would be funny! THe worst part is that he thought it was good!

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#16 Old 02-28-2005, 08:29 PM
Veggie Regular

On a more serious note, my friend actually bet his brother $50 that he could not go vegetarian for a month- he did and he actually felt so much better he stayed veg for 6 mons, and now only really rarely eats meat.

#17 Old 02-28-2005, 10:49 PM
Veggie Regular

just a random thought ... but would anyone pay me to be vegetarian ?
#18 Old 03-01-2005, 05:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky View Post

sher, tell me where you live. I'll send you a check in the mail!
#19 Old 03-01-2005, 05:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendaygirly05 View Post

My sister has a vegetarian friend that she works with and he recommended a book called "Slaughterhouse" for her to read. She was very interested in it and talked to me about it after reading. I cut her a deal, and I'll pay her if she can go vegetarian for a week. She has agreed to, but I was thinking about it, and I remember "certain bad reactions" at first when I became vegetarian and am worried about how her body will react to soy and other ingredients she is not used to. I don't want to make her sick, but I think it's really cool that she would try it out. It can't be that bad compared to her diet of mainly fast food!

Reactions? Is this common? Nothing happened when I became a vegetarian.
#20 Old 03-01-2005, 06:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky View Post

Now, if you had said VEGAN....
#21 Old 03-01-2005, 07:09 AM
Veggie Regular

just asking someone to think about the possible negative implications of paying someone to do something that is inherently positive. i think that begging the question is a supportive act, particularly in supporting right action and positive methodologies regarding aiding people in becoming vegetarian.

also, weird is one of those words that can go negative or positive. it's weird, as in strange or unusual in this case. i wondered whether or not it is the most effective, or an effective, methodology.
#22 Old 03-01-2005, 09:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Foxy vegan works too, that would be a real positive reinforcement
#23 Old 03-01-2005, 09:44 PM

::raises hand:: I think it's weird too.
#24 Old 03-01-2005, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Just curious- how old are you both and how much are you paying her? Will you be making any of her meals or going shopping with her?

She's my twin sister and we're both 17 years old.

I'm going to pay her a whopping $15 bucks! She was joking and said, "I'll take your $15 dollars and buy me some burgers." I'll gladly make her dinner though, I enjoy cooking.
#25 Old 03-01-2005, 10:11 PM

Hey, I don't mind being wierd
#26 Old 03-01-2005, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jes View Post

What "certain bad reactions" are you talking about?

I had bad indegestion and felt bloated a lot. It might have been due to soy, beans or anything. I have no idea, I just remember having stomach issues after I became vegetarian.
#27 Old 03-02-2005, 07:56 AM
Veggie Regular

so, when does (has) the week start and end? is she being good? imagine if she actually goes veg!two twin veggies, with omni parents!

About it being weird: It would be bad if she paid her sister to do something that she found unmoral. However, her sister seems to find a interest in being vegetarian, if she's willing to give up meat. My big sister and brother would have to be offerd a lot more then $15 to go veg for a day/week. That's because they are so closed to being vegetarian. If her sister has made this much of a step towards being vegetarian, then she's probally really interested in it. This small step could send her into a vegetarian life style! And she's not leaving any morals that she has to do it.
#28 Old 03-02-2005, 10:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Although I don't have any issues with paying someone to eat veg, I wanted to point out the potential harm that it could do.

When someone is rewarded for doing something, they are doing that something for its extrinsic rather than intrinsic value, which may make them less likely to continue doing it after the reward. To counteract this potential effect, teach your sister about the intrinsic value of eating veg (the benefits besides just getting the money; health, reducing suffering etc.)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page