Is all meat created equal? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-21-2003, 07:54 PM
Veggie Regular

My mother was just telling me that my cousin went to a restraunt and ate kangaroo meat. My ma said she would NEVER eat a kangaroo! I asked, why not? She said because, "they're cute!" That was funny to me. Eating an animal based on it's attractiveness. LOL.

She also thought eating kangaroo meat was "strange", but really, what's so strange about it? What's the difference between a cow and a kangaroo? They're both animals. When you eat either, you're eating animal flesh. It probably "tastes like chicken". That's what everyone says about exotic meat. Why is that? Maybe because, animal flesh... tastes like animal flesh! People just say it "tastes like chicken" because people are more familiar with the taste of chicken. To me, eating kangaroo, is the same as eating chicken. I mean, meat is meat, right?

So, basically I want to ask, when it comes to consuming animals, is it all the same to you? Or do you think there is a difference between eating kangaroo meat and eating a hamburger?

Hope this makes sense, lol.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-21-2003, 08:05 PM

I know exactly what you mean. To me, eating any animal is the same, be it a rat, cow, bird or giraffe. However, when I did eat meat I thought the same way as your mom, which I think most people do.

I think that the way people see animals as "food" or not all depends on their upbringing. Some countries, like America, eat cows and pigs. Other countries think that's horrible. Then there are those that won't eat the "cuddly, cute" animals. I have heard the term "cuddlytarian" to refer to them. Quite appropriate, don't you think?
#3 Old 05-21-2003, 08:16 PM
Kyo
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Hope this makes sense, lol

It makes complete sence. Most people in the U.S. wouldn't think twice about eating deer or cow flesh. Well how is that different from eating kangaroo flesh? I'd rather not eat the flesh of any animal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-21-2003, 08:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Kangaroo meat is apparently very dark and stringy (ultra lean). I doubt it would taste like chicken! I had a problem with kangaroo meat purely because it is our national emblem. I also happen to think that they're cute, but then so are calves and piglets and lambs and chicks... I think also a lot of people think why would you bother eating "exotic" meat when humans raise all that meat to eat anyway... that's how my Dad thinks.
#5 Old 05-21-2003, 08:24 PM
Veggie Regular

ugh it makes perfect sense. my roommate always says w/ such disdain 'uhm i dont eat cow, i dont eat pig.' now this is not due to any religious affiliation. yet she will happily scarf down anything else that moves.

then this guy i met recently was practically sobbing about how when he was in china, how sad it was that they used dogs in the restaurants. this being said while he was scarfing down some poor cow's carcass, but he did at least acknowledge the irony on his own.

it's so annoying. anyway to answer your Q, yes, to me at least, animals are equal. even when i was omni i could never understand the snobbish eating one animal before another that so many people have.

‎"I just think there's something in being lost. I never feel lost. I just think, 'Oh. I've taken a diversion'." ~ Karl Pilkington
#6 Old 05-21-2003, 08:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes, that makes sense.

It also brings up the issue of how people think they're doing something good by avoiding red meat, when they chow down on poultry. As if cows are more "meaty" and chickens are closer to vegetables.
#7 Old 05-21-2003, 10:54 PM

It definitely makes sense, Grain_girl. I've observed the same thing myself. It's cool that you call "meat" what it really is -- animal flesh. I feel "meat" is a detached term for a product and is used to disguise the horror behind the animal exploitation industry.
#8 Old 05-21-2003, 11:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I would think any vegan would find it "amusing" or frustrating that omnis make these arbitrary distinctions.

It makes perfect sense to me, which is why I'm vegan.
#9 Old 05-21-2003, 11:48 PM

I made those distinctions too, when I was an omni. But thinking about the lack of logic in that distinction was part of what led me to becoming vegetarian. How could I be utterly repelled by the thought of eating cats or dogs, yet continue to eat animals that were every bit as intelligent? That's why I stopped eating animals in order of intelligence.
#10 Old 05-21-2003, 11:50 PM
Veggie Regular

The "strangest" meat I ever ate was ostrich. That already freaked out the people I was with. It was a special, kinda expensive. Not that I was particularly eager to eat it. I ordered it exactly because I thought "hey? what's the difference... i mean i eat other animals too." unfortunately it took me more than a decade to find the logical flaw in this reasoning and make the (i beliece) right "calculation". which is... hey if i think an ostrich is gross, then a cow is gross too.

BTW guess what.... it did taste like chicken.
#11 Old 05-21-2003, 11:52 PM
Veggie Regular

i disagree- some animals are more disgusting than others- b/c some are scavengers- i call them nature's garbagemen eg- lobster, pigs, shelfish....my family refuses to eat any of them and so did i when i ate meat b/c they are more disgusting. Sure all meat is unhealthy, but some are more unhealthy than others
#12 Old 05-22-2003, 01:03 PM
Veggie Regular

I ate a lot of "exotic" meats when I was an omni -- precisely because I'd say "What's the difference? If I'd eat a cow, I'll eat this." Like Oatmeal, it took me a long time to realize that not eating any animals is what I really wanted to do.
#13 Old 05-22-2003, 01:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I agree that meat is meat no matter which animal it came from. However, I do see a distinction between factory-farmed meat (be it cow, chicken, kangaroo, ostrich, whatever) and more-humanely raised free-range meat. My mom will never go veggie, but now she only cooks with free-range beef. I know for sure it's free-range b/c it comes from a farm owned by one of my dad's high school classmates and I've actually seen the farm and saw the cows out in the pasture and stuff. It's all organic and hormone free, too. Still gross, IMO, but better than eating the beef that comes from a crowded feedlot that's loaded with hormones and antibiotics.
#14 Old 05-22-2003, 03:18 PM
Veggie Regular

All meat is equally something that I won't eat, but not all meat represents the same amount of injustice.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#15 Old 05-22-2003, 03:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Good point, muppetcow and skylark!
#16 Old 05-22-2003, 04:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow, skylark--it took you 1 sentence to articulate what it took me a whole paragraph to say.
#17 Old 05-23-2003, 08:39 PM

When was little my dad told me about eating rabbits.

Also seeing a goat slaughtered, that I always fed mesquite to, wasn't very fun either.

Most kids don't want to eat animals they love. When I realized pigs were cute, I stopped eating pork, then cows were purdy, less than a month later, no more beef. However, I used to love eating chicken, I thought it was tasty. That was a little harder to give up. Fish was rather easy.

Now I have come to a point where (actually, it's been awhile) I know all animals are purdy in some way. I don't know why it had taken me so long to figure it out, but at least I did.
#18 Old 05-23-2003, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by grain_girl

Person with the best avatar ever

Rocko's Modern Life rocked my world.
#19 Old 05-23-2003, 10:22 PM
Veggie Regular

"some animals are more disgusting than others- b/c some are scavengers- i call them nature's garbagemen eg- lobster, pigs, shelfish..."

I defintely agree with that. The "nature's garbagemen" are particularly icky. And to think how people drool at the very thought of lobster, lol. I'm sure most have NO idea though. I know I didn't.

Fafa - Rocko rocked my world too. Had to be one of the best cartoons of all time! Oh, how I miss it. As a matter a fact, I miss most of Nick's early 90's gems.
#20 Old 05-23-2003, 10:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by muppetcow

Wow, skylark--it took you 1 sentence to articulate what it took me a whole paragraph to say.

I suppose you could chalk that up to experience in journalistic styles of writing where conciseness is prime.

I do not claim all rights to that sentence, BTW. If you find it useful for your purposes, go ahead.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#21 Old 05-24-2003, 07:22 AM

Rocko still comes on one of those NICK stations, I still watch it.

I never did understand how they were vegetarian animals, yet even *they* ate meat, ya know? Whatever!

Any who, I used to think that way. I would not eat cows becasue I thought they were pretty and I would not eat pretty fish, I about threw a fit when I saw that Ukrops started selling Tilapia.

I also did not eat lobster/catfish/shrimp because they are scavengers and I would not eat deer becasue they are pretty.

I only ate poultry and then I realised how dumb my thought process was and became a vegatarian then I found out about the pussy milk and the animal cruelty and then I went vegan.

I don't miss meat at all and I wish I had done this sooner. My friends say they think it is great all of the weight that I have lost but then they say.... "I can't give up dairy!" :P Like I asked them to.... ::P

Shannon
#22 Old 05-25-2003, 03:24 PM

all animals are equal. what i don't understand is on the tuna labels - they say "dolphin friendly" yet they still advertise dead fish. i mean, what??

i think it's easier for people to eat cows, chickens etc because it's been done for so long that people have got it into their heads that it's "natural". like with milking cows - i mean duh, what species needs to drain the milk from another in order to survive? also i think people try and degrade animals to make it seem alright in their logic. by putting them in small spaces and other disgusting conditions they're practically telling the human race that these lovely creatures are less than dirt and deserve to be eaten.
#23 Old 05-28-2003, 05:41 AM
Veggie Regular

imo dolphin are more important than tuna.

and veal is worse than hamburger.
#24 Old 05-28-2003, 11:11 AM
Veggie Regular

I find it hard to distinguish one thing as more important than another in an ecosystem. If one link in the chain disappears, it can have an effect on the whole. It makes me think that they're equally important in that regard.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page