This book scares me - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-22-2005, 04:30 PM
Veggie Regular

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&v=glance

I haven't read it, but judging from most of the reviews, it scares the heck out of me. It ranks #383 on the Amazon sales list (for books). A LOT of reviewers seem to think it's the answer to their dietary prayers.

*this space not for sale*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-22-2005, 04:51 PM

It's very scary to me too. Especially that the reviewers seem to be buying what is said in the book, no matter how non sensical it sounds.
#3 Old 02-22-2005, 04:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid book View Post

animal fats and cholesterol are vital factors in the human diet.

Umm...WHATEVER

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-22-2005, 05:05 PM
Veggie Regular

To me, the whole low-carb dieting, and books like this, are just another wild attempt to try to justify why bacon and sausage really ARE good for you!

People know that fruits and vegetables, whole grains, beans, etc. are good for you. They just don't like them as much as bacon and cheese. So they come up with a diet plan centered around those unhealthy foods, so that they don't have to feel guilty about eating them anymore!

Just silliness IMHO.
#5 Old 02-22-2005, 05:09 PM
Veggie Regular

#6 Old 02-22-2005, 05:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Honestly, if it ranked #9,999 in sales, I wouldn't have made a fuss. But it seems to be selling very well, and that's what scares me.

#7 Old 02-22-2005, 05:30 PM
Veggie Regular

It sounds to me like the typical "diet" fare published in this country. A little bit of truth, a bit of untruth, and not enough info for people to distinguish between the two. The "experts" are always changing their minds on what's good and bad for us. Take everything with a grain of salt (unless you're on a sodium restricted diet )
#8 Old 02-22-2005, 05:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sag77 View Post

It sounds to me like the typical "diet" fare published in this country. A little bit of truth, a bit of untruth, and not enough info for people to distinguish between the two. The "experts" are always changing their minds on what's good and bad for us. Take everything with a grain of salt (unless you're on a sodium restricted diet )

The thing is, the real experts haven't really changed their minds on what a basic healthy diet is. It's all those faux "experts" that come across as if they are the authority. Through all the low-carb craze, the basic food guide pyramid, emphasizing grains, fruits and veggies, with moderate amounts of low-fat protein foods and dairy products, has stood firm. A vegetarian diet can easily fit into the pyramid, and so can a vegan diet, if you replace dairy with other calcium-fortified products.

Those low-carb, high fat diets DON'T fit into the pyramid AT ALL! I'm surprised how many people choose to adopt them, considering they go against even the mainstream nutritional advice.

I think the draw of these high-protein, high-fat diets is that people get to eat as much as they want of their "forbidden" foods. I think this eventually wears off when previously "healthy" foods, like pasta, or even fruit, become the tempting forbidden food. Any diet that pushes the balance out of whack is just set up for failure.
#9 Old 02-22-2005, 05:54 PM
Veggie Regular

what i wanna know is, how can animal fats be good for you? its fat?!!! i dunno, these people believe anything that will justify eating a hamburger
#10 Old 02-22-2005, 06:58 PM
Beginner

Exactly how delusional can someone get...?
#11 Old 02-22-2005, 07:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Hmmm...and so this whole time I was brainwashed into thinking *I* had the superior diet...with whole grains, lots of fruits/veggies, and little to no cholesterol (now just what my own body makes)...

Well EFF me I better go pick up a bacon double-cheeseburger. Oh, and if someone could tell the Asian cultures who have traditionally eaten a mainly vegetarian diet (and pescitarian, depending on location) and HAVE THE LONGEST LIFESPAN BY CULTURE to snarf down some pork rines, washed down with melted cheese dip, that'd be grrreat

This is ridiculous...

No cheers for that hoo-haw.
#12 Old 02-22-2005, 07:08 PM
Veggie Regular

the high sales/rank scares me too.
#13 Old 02-22-2005, 07:14 PM
Veggie Regular

that's a very high rank for a cookbook. *shudders*

I think what bother's me most is it looks new-agey on the cover... like it could be a book about herbal medicine or something, so I'm afraid it's trying to draw in a crowd that, according to the stereotype, might consider vegetarianism, and turn them away from it.

You can't judge a book by it's cover, but you can often judge the intended audience...
#14 Old 02-22-2005, 07:46 PM
Veggie Regular

oh my
#15 Old 02-22-2005, 07:55 PM

Arrrgh! I work at a gym and I couldn't even tell you how many people have asked me for advice because they went on the Atkins diet and ended up gaining all the weight (and then some) back.
#16 Old 02-22-2005, 07:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow. Books like this should be screened like drugs and food for public safety...
#17 Old 02-22-2005, 08:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Colorful--I agree with you completely. I was just talking about the diet of the month stuff that the media popularizes and that so many people unfortunately take as gospel.
#18 Old 02-22-2005, 08:08 PM
Veggie Regular

I am writing a book about how processed foods and white bread will help you lose weight.
#19 Old 02-22-2005, 09:27 PM
Beginner

I just left a review of my own...

#20 Old 02-22-2005, 09:35 PM
Veggie Regular

It reminds me of the movie "Sleeper" (the one where Woody Allen somehow ends up in the future) where there's a scene where some lady (I think... I only saw the movie once and it was a while ago) tells him that all the scientists in his time were wrong and that they had recently discovered that a good healthy diet consisted of chocolate and bacon and cupcakes and such...
#21 Old 02-22-2005, 09:38 PM

#22 Old 02-22-2005, 09:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I saw a pretty scary book in the 'New' section of the library just a few days ago. It was the Atkins Plan for Diabetics.

Who wrote that one, a mortician?

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#23 Old 02-22-2005, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

I am writing a book about how processed foods and white bread will help you lose weight.

seriously. lol.

I totally disagree with the book and its information. I am actually writing a book about veganism and the importance of it for living a long and healthy life. Anybody, especially Americans will fall for any hype if its gonna "help them lose weight."
#24 Old 02-22-2005, 11:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelOfDance View Post

It reminds me of the movie "Sleeper" (the one where Woody Allen somehow ends up in the future) where there's a scene where some lady (I think... I only saw the movie once and it was a while ago) tells him that all the scientists in his time were wrong and that they had recently discovered that a good healthy diet consisted of chocolate and bacon and cupcakes and such...

Here's the dialogue:

Quote:
Dr. Melik: [puzzling over list of items sold at Miles' old health-food store] ... wheat germ, organic honey and... tiger's milk.

Dr. Aragon: Oh, yes. Those are the charmed substances that some years ago were thought to contain life-preserving properties.

Dr. Melik: You mean there was no deep fat? No steak or cream pies or... hot fudge?

Dr. Aragon: [chuckling] Those were thought to be unhealthy... precisely the opposite of what we now know to be true.

Dr. Melik: Incredible!

#25 Old 02-23-2005, 02:32 PM

People are very susceptible to offers of something for nothing. I think this is why the Atkins thing is so popular. People want to be thin and attractive but don't want to have to do any work to get that way. A diet that says you can have the bod while stuffing your face with cheese and pork would be just the ticket. However, in this world, there is no such thing as something for nothing. I just hope that those Atkins dieters will not be too shocked to learn this when the bill comes in the form of chest pain.

The Rev
#26 Old 02-25-2005, 12:04 PM

Dont listen to it sounds like alot of bollocks
#27 Old 02-25-2005, 12:10 PM

Where us the scientific evidence of this book? How many studies is this based on? People who read this should be FORCED to read other books on animal cruelty and the health benefits of a vegan diet. Which, Im sure, the stupid people who bought this book never looked into.

This just goes to show that people only listen to what they want to hear.
#28 Old 02-25-2005, 12:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rev View Post

People are very susceptible to offers of something for nothing. I think this is why the Atkins thing is so popular. People want to be thin and attractive but don't want to have to do any work to get that way. A diet that says you can have the bod while stuffing your face with cheese and pork would be just the ticket. However, in this world, there is no such thing as something for nothing. I just hope that those Atkins dieters will not be too shocked to learn this when the bill comes in the form of chest pain.

The Rev

yep. My husband's brother and his wife went on Atkins and lost 40 pounds each in a few months. Meanwhile my husband and I were trying to eat healthy, control our portions, and exercise, and were shedding pounds slowly but surely. We were having a conversation about this once, and my brother-in-law said "That's the great thing about Atkins! You don't have to exercise!"

Precisely the attitude that draws people to the bacon, steak, and cheese diet!

(BTW, both of them have since gained almost all of the weight back. )
#29 Old 02-26-2005, 12:26 PM
Veggie Regular

oh dear, the stupidity of humanity never seems to end!

*giggles*

you gotta laugh. that's all I've got left.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page