Ban on hunting with dogs upheld - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-29-2005, 02:12 AM
Veggie Regular

In case anyone missed this the ban on hunting with dogs due to come into force on the 18th of Feb in the UK has been upheld by the high court Although they have been given leave to appeal the decision which will be heard on the 8th of Feb.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4214327.stm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-29-2005, 09:40 AM
Veggie Regular

so looks like those tatler reading numbnuts will have to find a new source of leisure.
#3 Old 01-29-2005, 12:02 PM

If I made a dancing fox smilie, would it get added?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-29-2005, 12:48 PM
Banned

Are these people on the same mental level as the idiots who want to bring back **** fighting in Oklahoma? The people voted that out, but this idiot state senator just keeps on trying to get it back in. It is a sad thing to be known world wide for **** fighting.

Let it be known to the world, Oklahoma does not have **** fighting. It will take a vote of the people to bring it back, which won't happen. Good luck on keeping your foxes safe and your dogs lying in the shade of the kennel.
#5 Old 01-29-2005, 01:09 PM
Veggie Regular

I love the way they appear on the tv news saying they'll go on hunting after the ban "within the law".

I may find myself telephoning the police twice a week around here.
#6 Old 01-29-2005, 02:08 PM

Does this mean that dogs can't hunt with each other, either? It would be a shame if dogs had to hunt alone from now on (because they're so natually social, I mean).

The Rev
#7 Old 01-29-2005, 02:38 PM
Beginner

I hate it when you get the 'pro hunters' on t.v. holding beagle puppies in their arms and talking about all the dogs which will have to be put to sleep, etc. All I am thinking is that all those dogs shouldn't have been bred in the first place!
#8 Old 01-29-2005, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDenn366 View Post

I hate it when you get the 'pro hunters' on t.v. holding beagle puppies in their arms and talking about all the dogs which will have to be put to sleep, etc. All I am thinking is that all those dogs shouldn't have been bred in the first place!

I find it sad that those people think that's all the dogs are for. They weren't born to be loved, but used. Most of them aren't treated very nicely, from what I hear. At least the hunters I've known love their dogs as part of their families (retrievers).
#9 Old 01-29-2005, 04:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rev View Post

Does this mean that dogs can't hunt with each other, either? It would be a shame if dogs had to hunt alone from now on (because they're so natually social, I mean).

The Rev

AFAIK The act is written to ban using dogs to hunt other animals, it doesn't prevent dogs hunting together if chasing down a scent or some other sport.
#10 Old 01-29-2005, 07:54 PM
Veggie Regular

They aren't on the same level as the cockfighters. These people believe that foxhunting is a british tradition that must be preserved, for some reason against it. They don't quite have the same level of bloodthirst and sheer arrogance that one would expect from a cockfighter, but many of the pro-hunt people are country people who vote Tory anyway, so I doubt Mr Blair cares about them. I know I don't give two sh*ts if foxhunting is banned. it doesn't affect me, because I don't define leisure as poncing around on a horse and setting a pack of dogs on a fox.
#11 Old 01-29-2005, 09:56 PM
Banned

I know, Loki. It is just that Oklahoma is known for some of it's very worse facts, and no one seems to be aware of any of it's great achievements or famous people, contributions to mankind. I am just a little discouraged about it right now.
#12 Old 01-29-2005, 11:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDenn366 View Post

It's horrible that people believe dogs have no worth outside of hunting. Sadly, these people probably will put their dogs to sleep rather than taking care of them or going to the trouble of rehoming them. I'm not even opposed to hunting or using dogs in hunting, but I am opposed to the way some people treat their dogs as nothing more than a weapon you keep outside and have to feed once in a while.
#13 Old 01-30-2005, 07:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

I'm not even opposed to hunting or using dogs in hunting, but I am opposed to the way some people treat their dogs as nothing more than a weapon you keep outside and have to feed once in a while.

Are you really saying that you are not opposed to a 'sport' where the aim is to use a pack of dogs to chase down a kill a fox often tearing it to pieces in the process?

http://indybay.org/news/2004/11/1706109.php

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_hunting
#14 Old 01-30-2005, 10:53 AM
Veggie Regular

I always wondered if the fox was actually killed by the dogs.... if the dogs were trained for a careful kill (ala "retriever mouth")... etc., etc., etc. It's nice to know that this practice is being stopped in Britain.
#15 Old 01-30-2005, 12:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm quite lucky. I live in Lancashire, a county more famous for Fred Dibnah, hotpot, Blackpool and increasing racial tensions leading to riots than foxhunting.

As far as i'm aware, the nearest hunt to me is in burnley. That's miles away. And lucky for me, the race riots happened miles away from me too.

the northwest of england has it sorted. I only know of two hunts around here. One around burnley and one in cumbria. My heart bleeds for those poor people who won't be able to set dogs on foxes in the future. Actually, i don't care about them.
#16 Old 01-30-2005, 10:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkered View Post

Are you really saying that you are not opposed to a 'sport' where the aim is to use a pack of dogs to chase down a kill a fox often tearing it to pieces in the process?

http://indybay.org/news/2004/11/1706109.php

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_hunting

Yeah. Dogs hunt in the wild. Why should I oppose that?
#17 Old 01-30-2005, 11:57 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

: You're ok with sport hunting? What a hypocrit!

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#18 Old 01-31-2005, 12:00 AM
Banned

Do wild dogs mount the stuffed foxes, or just their heads?
#19 Old 01-31-2005, 12:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

: You're ok with sport hunting? What a hypocrit!

What do you mean?
#20 Old 01-31-2005, 12:56 AM
Veggie Regular

That's in the wild and for survival; these dogs are bred, and are part of calculated killing and shredding for the "fun" of humans.

A pitbull might destroy another pitbull too, "in the wild" - as if any domestic dogs are *wild*, which destroys your argument - so does that mean pitbull fighting is o.k.? Can we stage fights with your dogs, since they might fight each other "in the wild" anyway? But that's against the law - for much the same reasons as this ban is going into effect.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#21 Old 01-31-2005, 01:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Yeah. Dogs hunt in the wild. Why should I oppose that?

We haven't been talking about the natural habits of packs of dogs, we are talking about humans using a pack of dogs to hunt and kill foxes, for their own pleasure. I think that this is made pretty clear from the links I posted before.
#22 Old 01-31-2005, 01:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Iziray,

I'm not opposed to hunting.

Thus I'm not opposed to dog's hunting.

I am opposed to mistreatment of animals.

Thus I do not support pitbull fighting.
#23 Old 01-31-2005, 01:03 AM
Veggie Regular

blinkered, you've put words into my mouth.

If you don't know what I'm saying, then ignore my comments. My comments were directed at JDenn366's post, not anything else that has been mentioned in this thread. I have not commented on your original post.
#24 Old 01-31-2005, 01:03 AM
Banned

That's an idea! Dog shelters could stage dog fights to bring in income, and use it to improve their conditions; for food, vaccination, desexing, etc. Hell, dogs fight in the wild; why would anyone oppose them being made to fight at the local shelter!? *steals idea from Irizary*
#25 Old 01-31-2005, 01:06 AM
Banned

Quote:

What a load of bosh. You're obviously not opposed to the mistreatment of foxes.
#26 Old 01-31-2005, 01:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Dog fights in the wild are very rare. Dog's respect personal space. Fights usually occur when humans force dogs to invade the space of another dog. This has nothing to do with anything that's been posted.
#27 Old 01-31-2005, 01:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Sorry - beagles exist *nowhere* in the wild. These are bred.

Also, many dogs in the wild *would* go after cats (also not really wild, but keeping with your argument) - so we may as well turn the dogs in shelters loose on the cats, for sport - since that is keeping with nature, and some humans would definitely enjoy it, as they enjoy hunting. Plenty of dogs would attack young kids too, in the wild...

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#28 Old 01-31-2005, 01:18 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Iziray,

Thus I do not support pitbull fighting.

This is what I mean by you being hypocritical. In one breath you say you are opposed to mistreatment of animals, then next, say you are not opposed to a sport that involves mistreatment of animals.

Hunting dogs are bred specifically for the purpose. Puppies who who do not live up to standard are disposed of. Old dogs beyond hunting age are not kept as pets, they are disposed of. The fox is not used for food, it is killed for sport. It does not die quickly, either. Generally the fox is not killed by the dogs, the huntmaster just lets them rip it apart a bit before stepping in to dispatch it.

The horses for hunting are bred specially. A keen huntsman must keep more than one because serious injuries to the horses are fairly common, and you don't want to miss out. The horses generally fare better than the dogs.. sometimes they are put out to pasture when they are old. Quite often they are shot and fed to the dogs. Where do you think the dog food comes from? Tins? Not in the country it doesn't.

#29 Old 01-31-2005, 01:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiz View Post

Hunting dogs are bred specifically for the purpose. Puppies who who do not live up to standard are disposed of. Old dogs beyond hunting age are not kept as pets, they are disposed of. The fox is not used for food, it is killed for sport. It does not die quickly, either. Generally the fox is not killed by the dogs, the huntmaster just lets them rip it apart a bit before stepping in to dispatch it.

The horses for hunting are bred specially. A keen huntsman must keep more than one because serious injuries to the horses are fairly common, and you don't want to miss out. The horses generally fare better than the dogs.. sometimes they are put out to pasture when they are old. Quite often they are shot and fed to the dogs. Where do you think the dog food comes from? Tins? Not in the country it doesn't.

I didn't say I support any of that Kiz.
#30 Old 01-31-2005, 01:22 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Yes you did.

Quote:

Iziray,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page