100 percent vegan? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-22-2005, 10:29 PM

I have a question for those more knowledgeable than myself. Is it possible to be 1oo% vegan? I live in LV, NV and I eat out a lot and cannot be totally sure that what I am eating is vegan. If the menu has veggie burgers I order that, but don't know if there is cheese mixed in with it all or if it is cooked seperately from the other meats. I also enjoy eating pasta but how do I know what the pasta is made of? Salads are good, but not every meal. If I am eating breakfast out, any suggestions besides the fruit platter? I had a waffle the other day, but was sure they used some dairy to make it.Short of being like Linda Blair and never eating out unless it is strictly a vegan restaurant what is a person supposed to do? Thanks for all who respond. Live, Love, Laugh!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-22-2005, 10:34 PM

bookseller2u] I have a question for those more knowledgeable than myself. Is it possible to be 1oo% vegan? I live in LV, NV and I eat out a lot and cannot be totally sure that what I am eating is vegan. If the menu has veggie burgers I order that, but don't know if there is cheese mixed in with it all or if it is cooked seperately from the other meats. I also enjoy eating pasta but how do I know what the pasta is made of? Salads are good, but not every meal. If I am eating breakfast out, any suggestions besides the fruit platter? I had a waffle the other day, but was sure they used some dairy to make it.Short of being like Linda Blair and never eating out unless it is strictly a vegan restaurant what is a person supposed to do? Thanks for all who respond. Live, Love, Laugh!
#3 Old 01-23-2005, 12:18 AM

No, you can't be 100 per cent vegan, but you can try. If you like books, you should know, most of them are put together with glue that comes from horses. Our roads and buildings are build with ingredients of dead animals. It's nearly impossible to be perfect.

When eating out, interrogate your waiter/waitress. We all do it. Pasta is usually safe, unless it's egg noodles. I get hashbrowns to go with my fruit plate, sometimes. You don't have to live off salads and veggie burgers. There are plenty of other options.

I assume you're a new vegan. These sites both have veggie starter kits available:

www.earthsave.org

www.peta.org

They help a little. Also, VB is a good site. Epski and a member I haven't seen in a while, called Oatmeal, helped me out a lot when I first went vegan. I would also suggest that you try not to eat out too much, if you're first starting, as it only serves to frustrate newbies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-23-2005, 02:09 AM
Jes
Veggie Regular

I eat out a ton! I try to avoid American restaurants and stick to the ethnic ones, like Chinese, Japanese, Indian or even Italian - I'm more certain that my food is vegan than I would be at an American restaurant. But when I've gone American, I've had the darned veggieburger and not stressed myself out about the eggwhite. A baked potato and salsa is a good 'there's nothing else here' meal.

Breakfast? Oatmeal made with water & maple syrup?
#5 Old 01-23-2005, 04:31 AM
Veggie Regular

The real problem is omnis who think it's "no big deal" to slip animal products into our food.

If it were not for these people, & companies associated w/ them, it would be easy to be 100% vegan.
#6 Old 01-23-2005, 06:01 AM

There's a link I saw that might be somewhat relevant to you. It lists a few restaurants with veggie options in LV - it's not that detailed but you might want to check it out. http://vegasreference.com/vegas/vegetarian.html
#7 Old 01-23-2005, 06:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Yes, you can be 100% vegan. But it takes a lot of commitment. I make 95% of my food, about 1% is eaten out which is usually salads or from a place I can read the ingredients myself and 4% is already made vegan food. Like Celeantos vegan meals. If you are the type that doesn't like to ask questions or don't want to read than it is impossible. Things you would never think have animal products, do.

As for eating out, you can eat 100% vegan, but it probably won't be much beyond salad and raw foods. Have you thought about brown bagging it more? There are a few books about vegan brown bagging it.
#8 Old 01-23-2005, 07:02 AM

You pretty much can't be 100% vegan (things that you use like plastics, car tires, roads, concrete, etc. can have animal products in them), even diet wise. Unfortunately, there are little insects that sometimes get caught up in the various plants that we consume, broccoli being an example. There are small mammals and also insects that get ground up in grain production.

It is however fairly easy to avoid products (because it all comes down to making a informed choice) with animal products in them (d3, gelatin, bone char, casein, egg whites, lactose, etc.). There are many lists available in cyber land outlining these "hidden" ingredients. The more natural whole foods that you consume, the less likely you are to consume products with these nasty ingredients.

Eating at restaurants can be challenging, too. For example, they may have a veggie tofu stir fry on the menu, but if they also have stir fries that include animals, they more than likely will be frying your veggies on the same grill and with the same oils that just fried some animal parts. They also tend to flavor soups, rice, and pastas with animal stocks, even if they say it is a veggie soup (they like to use chicken stock). If you are going to eat out, I suggest finding a vegetarian or vegan place to eat. If one isn't available, it comes down to a judgment call. I do eat at Georgetown Market (which is a local co-op style store/cafe) because they have vegan options everyday (and even label them as such) and prepare all of the vegan food separate. Basically, I do not frequent restaurants with omni friends unless they are eating something vegan for that day. I do not like to sit and socialize in an environment where someone is chowing down an animal in front of my face.
#9 Old 01-23-2005, 07:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Well said FR.
#10 Old 01-23-2005, 07:14 AM
Beginner

To me a 100% vegan is someone who dosen't eat anything from a creature,wear anything from a creature, or use any thing tested animals or with animal ingredients in it, go to circuses ect... IMO its easy to avoid using that stuff..

And your right theres NO WAY to stop suffering all together and live a completly cruelty free life BUT being vegan is about reducing as much suffering (not all).
#11 Old 01-23-2005, 10:13 AM
Banned

I don't think that you can be 100% vegan, simply because there are some things that you have no choice over...such as the type of glue used in your cabinetry, or animal by products in cement or the tires on your car.

I think veganism is about making the decision to not harm animals where given a choice.

By the way- the best place for veggies to eat in Las Vegas is the Mediterranean Cafe. It's awesome! Another good place is Rainbow's End Vegetarian Cafe on East Sahara.

I have written an article on my website about eating vegetarian in Las Vegas. You can check it out here if you are interested: http://www.jacquelinebodnar.com/vegas_veggie.htm

(everything listed is vegetarian, not everything is vegan but many of the options can be made vegan)
#12 Old 01-23-2005, 01:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Nope, purity is an impossible goal. Do the best that you can within reason for your lifestyle. If anyone faults you for it, tell 'em to bite you.

Personally I prefer to avoid all restaurants whenever possible with the exception of a chosen few that have proven themselves trustworthy. It isn't just veganness you have to worry about there....I've worked in a number of restaurants. Vegan or not I don't reccommend eating at any of them.
#13 Old 01-23-2005, 10:00 PM
Beginner

Live live about an hour from vegas neet.

i am raw but i don't hardley ever eat out and if i do i got to the "go raw cafe"(have you heard of it?

You could try just pre preparing somthing and bringin it with you

Enoc
#14 Old 05-20-2012, 06:32 AM

i believe it is possible to EAT 100% vegan.

eat ORGANIC produce, because conventional has ANIMAL MANURE sometimes, so i've heard.

i'm 100% vegan, in otherwords i only eat things that have FIBER in them; crucial concept to vitality and health. anything that doesn't have fiber is bad for you. like white rice.

stay away from tofu with no fiber in it, etc.

don't eat out, and you won't lose control of the ingredients. i would never eat out, unless i'm going to strictly order a plate of basic raw spinach etc.

i disagree with others, it's VERY easy to go 100% vegan, guilt free, lifestyle. it took me 3 years of trying, but now it's effortless.

and i'll put it this way... i see ABSOLUTELY no value, in eating meat, dairy, eggs, or honey...there DESTRUCTIVE to the body.

that being said, vegans should focus on leafy greens, herbs, and spices as 90 percent Of the diet. these are the most HEALING foods. and if you need a sugar or fat fix, eat a small carrot, apple, or avocado.

also stay away from juices, these have no fiber; therefor they are useless to the body. the body can only process things with fiber attached to them, otherwise they sit there, and decay.

there, i'm proof, of a 100 vegan, and trying to be raw.
#15 Old 05-20-2012, 06:46 AM
Ankle Biter

Sorry, but organic produce is very often raised using animal manure. It's one of the things that defines organic - "natural fertilizer"! Also tofu does have fiber, just not that much.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#16 Old 05-20-2012, 07:34 AM
Veggie Regular

^Yep, organic manure is spread on the farm near I work. Is that such a bad thing for a vegan though? Its a waste product that causes no distress to the animal and helps to grow crops without freaky chemicals - I can't see the bad in eating things grown with manure?

That awkward moment when your partner walks into the kitchen to find you huddled in the corner with an open container of nooch and a spoon and your mouth encrusted with little flakes...  
#17 Old 05-20-2012, 03:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I think you can barring things you cannot control, such as ground up bugs and things in grains and veggies. Learn about all of the tricky ingredients and read labels. You will be shocked at all of the accidentally vegan things out there. I do not eat out or eat food I haven't prepared unless I know for sure it's vegan (read labels, research, etc...). There are a few vegan places around here, and there are maybe two or three mainstream places I can get a vegan item or two. Chipotle is my main place b/c I watch them make it in front of me and know that the black beans are vegan. Luckily, we do actually have all vegan and veg restaurants here that we can go to if we are dying for something out.

I think it depends on you if you want to be that stringent. But, I'm pretty sure it can be done.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page