Calories - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-15-2003, 07:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I've never been a "calorie-counter" -- the way some people do for weight loss. But now, having gone vegan, I find that I AM counting calories -- in a reverse sense.

Several times I've felt like, "Oh, I've got to get some calories into me now!" and then run around munching peanuts, olives, avocados ... whatever dense vegan food I can think of.

The other day I was heating up an Amy's meal, and when I read the box I thought, "Oh, hell, this thing only has 180 calories in it??!" It's kinda funny and ironic, but also a problem.

I know I need to eat more pasta and rice, but I'm a bit (OK, a lot) lazy about cooking (even though I enjoy it). I'm not going to quit being vegan, but I need to get my act together!

I'd welcome all suggestions for quick-n-easy, calorie-dense vegan food. Right now I'm heating up a can of kidney beans and some canned sweet potatoes ... 'cause I'm starving!

P.S. I'm not opposed to moderate weight loss, but I think that will happen anyway. I DON'T want to be unhealthy and drop 20 pounds in a month.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-15-2003, 09:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Ah yes. I know this problem well. I'm a microwave kind of gal.. But vegan TV dinners tend to be calorie lacking. So, I add something.

Celantano vegan lasagna - 240 calories. Toast a slice of bread or a roll out of the freezer with some margarine, and you've got an actual meal.

Amy's burrito - pull out some corn chips and guacamole/salsa.

In terms of rice: Look into Uncle Ben's. The instant brown rice can be made in the microwave for 5-10 minutes. Take your rice... Open a can of beans, grab a tortilla and some vegetables (tomato, lettuce, avocado, corn), wrap it all up and voila! Hearty burrito.
#3 Old 05-15-2003, 09:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow - I only wish I could have the problem of needing to pump up my calorie intake. I've never (omni or veggie) had a problem in that area (and I've got the size 14 jeans to prove it! haha)

Nut butters are good choices. They only require spreading, and they come in lots of varieties (peanut, cashew, almond, etc.)

Nuts in general - Macadamia, Brazil Nuts, Pecans, Pistachios (ohh I'm getting hungry thinking about it).

(adding chopped nuts to rice and cereals beefs up the calories)

You already said Avocados - those are good. And Bananas (though they are only about 100 calories or so - ).

You could make shakes with fruit, silkin tofu, soymilk - they go down easy and can have lots of calories depending on what you put in them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-15-2003, 10:35 PM

I as well couldnt care less how many calories i take in ( in the get fat sense).
#5 Old 05-16-2003, 03:20 AM
Veggie Regular

I've sorta started counting calories. Not in any sense, but rather to annoy calorie counters, so when they say "Ugh how can you eat that?" when it's something nice like chocolate, I can turn round and say "Well, I don't give a sh*t whether it is 810 calories, so I'm free to enjoy it!"
#6 Old 05-16-2003, 03:35 AM
Veggie Regular

I accidently lost 10 pounds since I gave up dairy and eggs (and refined sugar for the most part). Scares the living daylights out of me .

Maybe some chili would do the trick? I don't have a recipe at the moment, but I remember that it's quite fast, easy and filling.
#7 Old 05-16-2003, 02:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, I've pretty much always shared Loki's attitude about calories -- and fat and/or carb content, everyone freaks out about that. I'd tell my friends, "Worrying about that stuff probably slows your metabolism. Now pass the pizza."

Like Finlay, I've dropped a rather scary amount of weight in the few weeks that I've been vegan. (I never weigh myself, so I don't know how much.)

Thanks for the suggestions. I never used to be a big bread-eater, but I will look for some kinds I like and put them in the freezer. Also will investigate the microwave rice. And supplement my jar of peanuts with some other nuts (ooh, I love pecans).

Shakes sound good, I'll have to acquire a blender, though. Chili sounds great too (I can imagine what I'd put in it, but I don't have a recipe) -- but that's cooking!
#8 Old 05-18-2003, 03:02 PM

I don't count...I think I get plenty from the veg and fruit and potatoes and pizzas (cheeseless) i eat...the carbohydrate don't get used so it goes to fat i reckon
#9 Old 05-18-2003, 03:09 PM
Veggie Regular

I've been starting to count, as a way to just be more aware and mindful of what I am eating. I love to eat all day long, and looking at the calories makes have to take the time to ask yourself, "Do I really want to eat this? Am I just bored, stressed out, etc."

So I have totalled a few days here and there, but now that I am more aware, I can just keep a mental assessment. It has helped me lose weight the last three weeks, especially once I found out those chips I like have 1960 calories a bag!
#10 Old 05-18-2003, 04:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Who are these strange people seeking to pump more calories into their diet?! I don't have any problems demolishing 1800 calories a day, and I'm generally trying to reduce....

* I don't get it * Are you just not eating?! I certainly haven't lost any weight since I've become vegan, and I'm honking mad about it!!

By the way, if you are looking to sneak some calories in and you like coconut, try making coconut curry or smoothies using coconut milk. Its high calorie and you don't have to use/ eat much of it.

lovenlight,

linz
#11 Old 05-18-2003, 04:42 PM
Veggie Regular

It's taken me too long to try to STOP counting calories to make me want to start again. I hope I never worry about it again for the rest of my life.
#12 Old 05-18-2003, 05:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Rainbowmoon: I'm rather tall and more-active-then-average. Thanks for the coconut tip, though .
#13 Old 05-18-2003, 05:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah... sometimes when I look at how many calories are in my food it's depressing because they're so few. I don't look often because I don't *really* care and because, generally, eating frequently until you're not hungry should get you enough calories -- but not always.

Here's how I sneak in extra calories -- *lots* of peanut butter, nuts for snacks, extra oil when I make stir fry, lots of veg margarine on my garlic bread, lots of bread, pasta, potatoes in general...

Rice doesn't really have a lot of calories, but most of my meals center around rice & I eat lots of it.

What's annoying is the more active I am, the less hungry I am. That would be great if I were trying to lose weight, but I've never, ever wanted to lose weight (I'm currently working on gaining more muscle mass -- hence the attempts to add more calories to my meals), so it's annoying. Plus, my metabolism is super high.

Good luck,

Mskedi
#14 Old 05-18-2003, 05:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I've actually gained weight in the last 6 months. I've had to learn to control my portions at dinner so that I don't over-eat. I'm sure I'd drop those five pounds if I'd start exercising again, but that's going to have to wait at least another week.

I get plenty of calories from pasta, fruits, nuts, and the occasional meat substitute.
#15 Old 05-19-2003, 07:06 AM
Veggie Regular

vegankat- I hear ya, counting calories is such a burden, I have not done it in at least 1 1/2 months! And it feels oh so good.
#16 Old 05-19-2003, 07:49 AM
Veggie Regular

SunnyK: can't you just eat more?

I'm 180cm and aprox 85 kg (and vegan)

I admit it took some training to eat at the level I now do, but it works.

Cook more and use bigger plates.

Yesterday was exeptional, and I'm not vegan for health:

I ate two pounds of potato's with mayo and a veggieburger and a pound of soy-dessert.
#17 Old 05-19-2003, 09:01 AM
Veggie Regular

oh my goodness. i'm so jealous of you crazy vegans trying to consume MORE calories!!!
#18 Old 05-21-2003, 03:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Mskedi

generally, eating frequently until you're not hungry should get you enough calories -- but not always.

Quote:
Originally posted by 1vegan

SunnyK: can't you just eat more?

Well, that is what I need to do. I think maybe I was just used to giving my stomach a certain amount of food without paying any attention to the calorie (or other) content.

I've never been any good at planning food, and I've never paid enough attention to nutrition, in general. So when I went vegan I just ate whatever "sounded good" to me at the time, which seemed to be mostly spinach, carrots, mushrooms, the occasional bean burrito, french fries, and some frozen meals ... just going for taste/minimal cooking. And if I can't get something vegan at work or wherever, I tend to just blow it off and eat later.

Also, I've always been one of those people who skips breakfast , and sometimes lunch -- it's easy to make up a thousand calories with a take-out cheese pizza for dinner. So many bad habits, oh, dear.

Anyway, I've found some vegan Italian bread that I like pretty well -- made garlic bread the other night. And I think I'll pre-make some cold and hot pasta dishes that I can munch on for several days. Also stocked up on a variety of nuts.

And, to my amazement, I've discovered that I've developed a taste for soymilk. I tried it years ago and hated it, but now it tastes really good. (Edensoy vanilla flavor.) It's not exactly high-cal, but it's something that I can sip several times a day -- and it's good for me! Now if I can just get myself to like breakfast cereal ... are Cheerios vegan?
#19 Old 05-21-2003, 05:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I have to agree with you on the soymilk thing: after a couple of days you get to notice the finer taste in it. I suppose it is, like coffee and beer, an 'acquired taste'.

I eat muesli with a banana & orange juice for breakfast most of the time (in a large bowl).
#20 Old 05-21-2003, 11:55 PM
Veggie Regular

eh? i posted the same question a couple weeks ago and got very little response. oh well. thanks for asking again, there are some good ideas here.

as for bread, i found 'whole wheat and soy' bread in my grocery store and it's so yummy. it has about twice the protein as normal whole wheat bread and i'm pretty sure it has more calories too, and it's so darn tasty.

i find the easiest way to add carbs to my meals is to just have a couple slices of bread and 'margarine' with it for dipping etc.

my problem isn't carbs though, i get plenty of those. i need to add more fruit to my diet and possibly more veggies. i didn't realize bananas had that many calories in them. now that the weather is warming up i may buy a whack of fruit to freeze and make smoothies, that ought to help somewhat

other than that, well i'm always hungry right after work and i walk home, so i've started buying Clif bars and eating them on the way home, they have tons of calories and make my tummy stop grumbling til i can make dinner

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#21 Old 05-28-2003, 11:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for all of your suggestions -- Charity, I've got bread in the freezer and now make a couple of slices of garlic bread with practically everything! Also bagels are quick 'n' easy. And ramen noodles with my own broth. When I cook up veggies, I throw in a can of baby potatoes -- and use lots of oil to simmer it all in.

I've done a monstrous pantry stock-up, which really helps. I've been cooking a lot more -- there's just no other option. But I also bought a bunch of vegan premade meals -- haven't tried most of them yet.

I am definitely eating more overall -- I think it just took my body a few weeks to catch up with my new eating habits, and for me to figure out what I could eat.

I don't think I've lost any more weight, so maybe the calorie problem is solved!
#22 Old 05-28-2003, 11:17 AM

sunnyk- i can relate to being concerned about calories too. i am currently nursing an active toddler who still shows very little interest in eating solid food on her own. so i am burning up a ton of calories that way!

i am trying to compensate by grabbing a handful of nuts for snacks, avocados, and lots of big slices of homemade whole wheat toast with a lot of peanut butter or tahini. i drizzle olive oil on a lot of stuff too, hoping that'll help. i'm still voraciously hungry all the time though.
#23 Old 05-28-2003, 11:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by miss gulch

i'm still voraciously hungry all the time though.

*lol* Yeah, now that my appetite has caught up with my new diet, it's like, "Whoa, stand back, you don't want to be between me and the fridge!"
#24 Old 05-28-2003, 12:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Man... and here I am trying to lose weight... I wish I could be in your shoes and not worry about it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page