internet veggie database.... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-19-2005, 08:23 AM

I've been wanting to write a web app for some time that would be an up to date, one stop recourse for veggies. That is easily updateable by everyone and kept up to date by anyone.. A lot of the information on veggie sites I've seen hold static and out of info.. I'd eventually like the database to be accessible on mobile devices also (mobile phones, pda's, maybe even downloading some info onto ipods)..

the kind of info I'd like to store is:

o restaurants (location, comments, ratings, veggie strictness, etc).

o food/drink information

o recipes

o other stuff (cleaning products, etc)

o book reviews

o veggie events (events in your area, etc...)

o veggie info (vitamin info, veggie ingredient lists, etc..)

I knocked up a quick demo (http://pathos.textdriven.com/main/display), mainly to learn a new computer language.. I'll probably have to start again from scratch (since the code isn't that great).. I haven't implemented all of the stuff above in the demo, but it will give y'all the kind of thing i'm going for...

anyone think it's a good idea to keep going and develop this more? any suggestions for enhancements or additions? or is it not needed is there another site that does all this? any comments welcome...

cheers..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-19-2005, 08:27 AM
Administrator

That's funny because I told someone the other day I was investigating the possibility of adding a wiki to VB. Sounds like it's the same type of thing. Seems like a good idea to me.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 Old 01-19-2005, 08:43 AM

Thanks.. Yeah similar idea (anyone being about to put up info, change info, etc), but just a bit more controlled (easy database searching) kind of way..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-19-2005, 09:52 AM
Veggie Regular

ffffffffffiiiing GREAT IDEA and long have I known it (were I a tech person able to put into practice but alas not)...... I would like to have seen maybe JRogers (seldom here these days) have a stab more at this, but he only created a small database program AGES AGO (personally devised) that he made for ingredients which is great per'se, but like you say TechnoVegan, why not the hell go the whole way and have everything veg in easily accessible database format and which to run as an easily updatable facility for all whom like you say could contribute ongoingly on a regular basis, in tune with accessibility. Rockon with it!
#5 Old 01-19-2005, 10:37 AM
Banned

It seems like a good idea, the one thing I don't know about though is anyone and everyone being allowed to edit and change/update the information. I think that would set you up to not have a credible or reliable database.

You could get people putting information in there that are not vegetarians and just doing it to mess with the database. You could also have ill-informed individuals updating pages and the information being incorrect (like they could say that vegetarians eat fish, or that all kosher gelatin is vegan, or ... you get the idea).

I think for quality and accuracy purposes you would need to have only a select few people that take care of udpating and adding information.... just my 2 cents.
#6 Old 01-19-2005, 10:43 AM

yeah this is the problem I can see as well.. i think a nicer option is to have certain people who QA the data.. so they can check the additions or updates before they are added to the main database.. or they can get a list of recent changes and undo them if necessary..
#7 Old 01-19-2005, 10:47 AM
Veggie Regular

It's a great idea. A lot of work i guess. I use www.isitvegan.com and www.isitveggie.com a fair bit.
#8 Old 01-19-2005, 12:13 PM

yeah looked at those sites a while ago, but i wanted something a bit better!!.. (isitvegan looks a lot different than it used it... just a lot of internet links now??)

wanted something like that but more dynamic (so people can add their own food, rate items, add comments, etc).. hopefully it shouldn't take too long.. the demo app does quite a lot an that only took about a week of hard work...

if anyone has any good ideas for features that would be usefull.. for example, I would like a 'active search' feature.. where you could set up a search and it will email you when there are new items that match your criteria.. so you could set up a search that searches for resturant reviews in your area... then when any new ones are added you get an email.. etc..

any more ideas like that?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page