VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   Vegetarian Support Forum (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/11-vegetarian-support-forum/)
-   -   Musings on Cheese (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/11-vegetarian-support-forum/27561-musings-cheese.html)

VegInMaine 01-18-2005 04:09 PM

In my ovo-lacto life, cheese was a main draw for me. Put cheese on anything, and I would eat it. This was, without a doubt, the hardest part of the transition into veganism for me. Now, it's only been about three months, and I still have strong feelings for cheese. So when I went to the natural food store yesterday, I picked up a block of vegan mozzarella with the intention of making a pizza, and I figured that I would be able to find a hundred other things to do with it, since I had always eaten it before. Since I don't have and pizza dough and am too cooking-challenged to attempt to make some, I thought I'd come up with something else to do with the cheese for dinner tonight. I can't think of a single thing to do with it! I guess I should go out and get some pizza dough, but I'm shocked at the change in myself. I never would have expected to not be able to think of a single thing to do with cheese! I've made progress!

Any tips on what to do with the cheese would also be appreciated :-)

Music Girl 01-18-2005 04:11 PM

It's been 5 years, and I still miss cheese.

Nothing else, just cheese.

I've found no real replacement, either, though I've tried them all.

It's a small sacrifice, in the long run, however.

I just keep telling myself that.

GhostUser 01-18-2005 04:37 PM

Cheese...

The Rev

BTW, I think it's all in how you think of it. If you think, "Cheese, yum, tasty treat." then it will be harder to give up than if you think, "Cheese, cow secretions that plug up my colon."

Nope, I still miss it.

eggplant 01-18-2005 04:40 PM

I just think of how mucus-like melted cheese seems and that does the trick for me.

As for the vegan cheese, you could make pita pizzas with it, or put it on sandwiches, or wad it into a ball and bounce it off the wall.

VegInMaine 01-18-2005 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggplant View Post

I just think of how mucus-like melted cheese seems and that does the trick for me.

yikes! That'll do just nicely for me. It's funny, I don't really miss it, and I've just become so adept at finding other ways to add flavor.

GhostUser 01-18-2005 04:46 PM

I am indulging in a plate of mac-n-chreese as we speak. Chreese is absolutely delish!

VegInMaine 01-18-2005 04:47 PM

FR- My current indulgence is punkmommy's nacho "cheese" sauce over pasta. Simply delightful, and oh-so-easy to make!

GhostUser 01-18-2005 04:52 PM

I agree that chreese is easy to make from nutritional yeast at home. I still think that Roads End product tastes the best.

GhostUser 01-18-2005 06:17 PM

I've ghettofied my cheese recipe. I use punkmommy's cheese recipe and add it to some melted cheddar vegan gourmet, mix it up and hope for the best. Its really good, and its excellent with pasta and veggies. FTR, punkmommy's recipe can stand on its own..I just had some vegan gourmet lyin around so I found a use for it.