Angry Vegetarian!! Look out!!!! - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 01-18-2005, 06:24 PM

When faced with those types of challenges, I direct my anger elsewhere. At work.

I've been there. The chicken broth in the rice, the little bitty hunk of chicken flesh stuck in my veggie stir fry. If I got angry everytime that happened to me, I'd always be angry. All i can do is direct that energy elsewhere and turn it into positive by writing companies and submitting ideas for more veg*n items at thier restaraunts/stores/markets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 01-18-2005, 06:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagginabit View Post

When faced with those types of challenges, I direct my anger elsewhere. At work.

I've been there. The chicken broth in the rice, the little bitty hunk of chicken flesh stuck in my veggie stir fry. If I got angry everytime that happened to me, I'd always be angry. All i can do is direct that energy elsewhere and turn it into positive by writing companies and submitting ideas for more veg*n items at thier restaraunts/stores/markets.

*this space not for sale*
#33 Old 01-18-2005, 07:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rev View Post

There are days when I get sick of watching everyone at the table scarf down on shrimp, steaks, chicken nuggets, fried cheese, etc, while my dinner is a basket of fries, because that's the only thing they have on the menu I can be sure of. (You have no idea how many fries I've eaten over the last 6 months )

The Rev

You're lucky to even get fries! There isn't a single place 'round where I am that you can even get veg*n fries (they are cooked with nuggets, chimichangas, cheese sticks, fish or whatever...believe me, I have asked! )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 01-18-2005, 07:48 PM
Veggie Regular

to everyone who is frustrated and angry!

I've been close to erupting into real anger on many occasions- but my dad told me a while ago something that helped

" Do what you need to do to make yourself happy. If that means being vegan- do it!

But if you are grossed out by other people's food choices, living in our culture, you will be unhappy. Accept what you can't change, and focus on what you can"

My dad is a buddhist philosopher with out even knowing it.

I accept others food choices, and that sometimes I may be served animal products accidently. I try to draw awareness to choices being made, and to mistakes when they happen. I don't worry about it otherwise.

This helps me keep the peace that being a veg*n has brought me.

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#35 Old 01-18-2005, 10:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by organica View Post

* desperately hopes Foxy wins the lottery & opens her organic vegan chain of restaurants*

The selfish side of me hopes *I* win the lottery and then I will fund Foxy's organic vegan chain restaurants.
#36 Old 01-18-2005, 10:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxy View Post

You're lucky to even get fries! There isn't a single place 'round where I am that you can even get veg*n fries (they are cooked with nuggets, chimichangas, cheese sticks, fish or whatever...believe me, I have asked! )

Foxy, do you live near a Wendy's? Their fries are vegan and they claim to cook them separately. They are also quite tasty and not greasy (as far as fries are concerned.)
#37 Old 01-18-2005, 11:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Gad. You guys rock so hard. Thanks for listening to and understanding me. I feel much better today though at the store I really wanted to buy some ravioli without eggs in them and...no dice. I'll have to learn how to make vegan ravioli. Ah...what else is new? Such a craving today for ravioli stuffed with butternut squash. Mmmmm.

If someone cooked shrimp in my house I would leave, Rev. That's frickin' awful. No fish has ever been cooked in this house. Even when I was omni and I used to LIKE to eat fish but the smell. Dear, oh dear. I would be burning incense. Calling a priest. Smell exorcism.

All I could think of when *I* saw one of those livestock trucks was Auschwitz. These are the damned.

Best place to eat so far in the Bay Area that I have found is Bay Leaf Cafe. http://www.thebayleafcafe.com/ Not all of it is vegan but much of it is and the owner is THE NICEST MAN I HAVE EVER MET. John and I went there on New Year's Eve on the motorcycle. Parked out front and ate like kings. It wasn't even expensive. But damn. It's miles from here. I'm gonna try the city next. Maybe Milkie can tell us where to go?

You guys are right. There's no point in being angry. Resignation is the ticket here. The menus ARE infuriating. But here's the thing: either I stop going and they never get asked to make vegan food or I go and keep asking and one fine, fine day, there will always be vegan and veggie options. Seriously. Half the damned menu should be veggie. At least half.

I'd be happy with a third.

*sigh*
#38 Old 01-19-2005, 10:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagginabit View Post

If I got angry everytime that happened to me, I'd always be angry. All i can do is direct that energy elsewhere and turn it into positive by writing companies and submitting ideas for more veg*n items at thier restaraunts/stores/markets.

I agree, instead of getting angry I think the best thing to do is to write companies to politely suggest they carry more vegetarian options. Do it by e-mail, it only takes a few minutes and it's free, no postage! When you write to them you may want to make a couple of suggestions of things they could add to their menu, things that go along with the type of restaurant it is. This way they don't draw a blank and not know what to add.

You can also write letters to the editor of your local newspaper suggesting that restaurants get more vegetarian options.

If restraunts don't here from vegetarians that we want more than fries or salad as the vegetarian option then they don't know to increase their vegetarian menu. It's about supply and demand, they need to know the demand is there for it and then they will work to supply it.
#39 Old 01-19-2005, 10:51 AM

Quote:
And how is it that people don't get that chicken broth is not vegetarian??

I won't get started, but that is one the things that bug me the most...chicken/beef/etc stock IS NOT BLOODY VEGETARIAN! *breathes*

I'm in my last year of highschool now, and have been veg since I was 10. I went through the angry stage for a few years (when I was around twelve). My mum was excellent support for my being veg (she owns the only vegetarian cafe in my town, so I've never suffered there *G*), however, my extended family was the problem, mainly my cousins. We'd have afternoon teas at my Nanna's house after school, and she'd serve up little party pies, sausage rolls, pizza (ham) slices, cocktail sausages and all that sought of stuff, and never know what in the world she could serve me...my cousins would sit around eating all this, me eating whatever was on the table I could eat...and they'd pull of the tops of their party pies and start waving them under my face, going "mmm, smell the meat! The dead animal! The gravy covered flesh!!" I'd almost throw up on them, and none of the adults ever stopped them. I'd get comments from them all constantly about how I was just doing it for attention, and that I probably sneaked meat all the time (*rolls eyes*) and how I was gonna die 'cause I was so unhealthy without meat in my diet.

It drove me up the damn wall. I had processed meat put under my nose (and once actually smooshed into my face) for years at that table. But I got through it. I hated it, though. lol....but after that, I'd go home where mum had bought home her vegie nacho sauce and she'd do me up a big plate of her special nachos, or a huge slice of her brown rice bake, or her ministrone, or vegetarian lasagna, all with one of her big salads and scoff this delicious, healthy food down and think "HA!" to them.

And that was a big babble about nothing all that important...except to say-people can be ignorant and plain rude...try and ignore them while knowing that you're taking care of your body, and putting into it what you want. It sucks how ignorant restraunts can be in vegan or veggie meals...but one day, we'll have Foxy's restruants to go to

*hugz*

~Gabs
#40 Old 01-19-2005, 10:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

Foxy, do you live near a Wendy's? Their fries are vegan and they claim to cook them separately. They are also quite tasty and not greasy (as far as fries are concerned.)

I'll have to look into that. Thanks! I'll pass it on to others I know

(I have to say that I really avoid gmo's and canola oil too so likely I still wouldn't eat them but who knows? I might get stuck without a Larabar someday and really appreciate this info. )
#41 Old 01-19-2005, 10:54 AM
Veggie Regular

YAY! The idea of my restaurants is taking off well! Let's make it happen!
#42 Old 01-19-2005, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxy View Post

Hmm... Actually, I haven't asked. I just assumed they had dedicated fry vats because that's what we had at McD's when I worked there (20 years ago).

This vegan thing is filled with landmines and hidden trap doors. From now on, I'm eating a specially formulated paste, filled with all necessary nutrients, which I will carry in heatsealed plastic envelopes, whenever I leave the house.

The Rev
#43 Old 01-19-2005, 01:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rev View Post

Hmm... Actually, I haven't asked. I just assumed they had dedicated fry vats because that's what we had at McD's when I worked there (20 years ago).

Oh Rev. Cut yourself copious slack, dood. I replied to your "Accidental Omni" thread about my boyfriend. Vegetarian for 20 years(!) and he still messes up here and there. He does not beat himself up. Getting a hard time from others is to be expected but giving yourself a hard time? That's a waste of energy. Live. Learn. Keep going. That's how my man does it and it's worked well for him for two decades.

d
#44 Old 01-19-2005, 01:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbles View Post

I'd get comments from them all constantly about how I was just doing it for attention, and that I probably sneaked meat all the time (*rolls eyes*) and how I was gonna die 'cause I was so unhealthy without meat in my diet.

Well, if you were sneaking meat, they'd have nothing to worry about because then you would have meat in your diet. People are horrid sometimes. When I get angry, I try to remind myself that me being nasty to them is not likely to improve the situation. "A soft answer turns away wrath", as the wise person once said.

AccidentalVeg, I go through an angry-phase every few years/months/however often it happens. Because I happen to have a healthy conscience, my life is much more difficult than it was before. It just doesn't seem fair! The same is true of my faith. It all grows wearisome once in awhile.

A friend and I talked about this one day. She said, "You know, I was thinking--not that I would ever do it--but I was thinking about how nice it would be if for just one day, I didn't have to be me. I could do all the things I'm not supposed to do, see everything I refuse to look at, be as mean as I want to be." Then I reminded her that if she or I ever did it, we'd probably be dead by the end of the day.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#45 Old 01-19-2005, 01:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morticia View Post

If you can find a good restaurant and become regular customers, it becomes easier. At the Indian restaurant we go to most of the staff know us, and know what we will or wont eat. They'll even warn us if something seemingly vegan on their menu has milk.

Yes, this is good advice. I'm lucky enough to have an Indian restaurant within walking distance of my house, so I go there fairly frequently. The owner told me that she would veganize anything for me. For instance, the two spinach dishes on the menu both have dairy, but when I asked, they made a vegan spinach dish for me. It's great! There's also Japanese restaurant in walking distance from my house that has a separate vegetarian menu with all of the vegan items labeled.

I always remind myself of these places when I'm at other eating establishments where all I can find to eat are fries or a small salad (neither of which are kind to my tummy), or when I find a stray piece of meat in something that I was told was vegan, or when I'm at a social function where there is nothing for me to eat, or when someone makes a rude or ignorant comment to me about my veganism, or when I watch everyone else, particularly my loved ones, eat food that harms animals and themselves, or when I see animals treated as trash. Otherwise I would go insane.
#46 Old 01-19-2005, 01:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I feel your anger. Sometimes I play Vegan Reich really loudly in my car and scream a lot. Lets out the tension.
#47 Old 01-19-2005, 01:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggplant View Post

when I'm at a social function where there is nothing for me to eat,

My sister the ex-veg advised me on this. She told me to bulk up on LOTS of protein, like nuts or baked tofu, etc. right before going to that social function. That way, if there's nothing there I can eat, or if all they have are maybe a few raw veggies and a dip, at least the protein will keep me going until I have a chance for a "real" meal.

#48 Old 01-19-2005, 01:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

My sister the ex-veg advised me on this. She told me to bulk up on LOTS of protein, like nuts or baked tofu, etc. right before going to that social function. That way, if there's nothing there I can eat, or if all they have are maybe a few raw veggies and a dip, at least the protein will keep me going until I have a chance for a "real" meal.

Oh, I've long ago prepared for having nothing to eat, but it's just the principle of it that gets to me sometimes...
#49 Old 01-19-2005, 02:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Luna and Odwalla bars fit nicely into most purses. I actually prefer bringing something everyone can eat, but it is such a pain to make. For Christmas, I made an awesome spicey pasta salad that my allergic to dairy/egg/peanut cousins tried. I have to be mindful of my one cousin though because she is allergic to soy.
#50 Old 01-19-2005, 02:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggplant View Post

Oh, I've long ago prepared for having nothing to eat, but it's just the principle of it that gets to me sometimes...

Of course. I considered the possibility that you knew what to do, but I liked the idea of posting that suggestion in case there are new or future veg*ans who may be lurking or newly registered and are looking for ideas on how to survive in a non-veg world...

#51 Old 04-05-2014, 08:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sass View Post

My 20 year old son is going through this Vegan anger thing also...he now ONLY buys and prepares his own food, he will not eat out at all, he doesn't trust anybody's cooking but his own. since he became Vegan, he has been acting obssesive about eating. he is losing weight rapidly, I try to always remind him to keep researching and try new things....he just moved to Nashville TN for college last week and I am so worried about his eating enough. Does anyone know any good Vegan stores around that area?

Yes, actually.
I know of a vegetarian and vegan restraunt there called "The Wild Cow" As for vegan stores.....eh, not so much. I know if he drove about an hour there's an organic health food store on the town squre of Murfreesboro.
Hope that helps.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page