Eurotrip - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-17-2005, 10:28 AM

Hello! I'm going to Germany, Switzerland, and France this summer and I'm a little worried about having trouble finding veg*n food there. I'll be staying with family and friends for most of the tirp, so I don't want to inconvenience them too much. Do you guys have any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-17-2005, 11:05 AM
Beginner

I live in Germany and every single time I have gone out to eat there is always a vegetarian option and can make it to be a vegan option. They are pretty good over here about catering to vegetarians. Haven't found a restaurant that only caters to them but they do have options on the menu. Most of the time if you stay with ethnic restaurants like Chinese they will have options for you. Good luck and hope you have a great trip!!
#3 Old 01-18-2005, 10:48 AM
Banned

I'll support the previous response: no problem for vegetarian / vegan in Germany, Switzerland and France. You may have to go italian or chinese but you'll always get something.

Check out the europe section of http://www.happycow.net for veggie restaurants and healthfood shops.

German towns often have NatureKost or other healthfood shops that have loads of veggie items to cook at home and some even sell hot food at lunchtime. Look for the veggie pate's sold in what looks like large toothpaste tubes. Excellent stuff!

Most towns have open air markets during the day where you can stock up on munchies like olives, fruit/veg, bread, dried fruit and nuts. Keep your daypack stocked with munchies and you'll do well.

It may help to carry a 'menu decoder' of food items translated into French and German that you can use to read ingredient lists on German and French food items you find in the shop. Just go through a german/french dictionary and copy out relevant words for meat and dairy or whatever you are concerned about.

Learn how to say 'please' and 'thank you' in German and French and you'll have a great time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-18-2005, 11:57 AM
Veggie Regular

I've never had much joy in France, other than salads and ethnic foods. Most of their bread is non vegan. Vegetarian would be ok if you have a good dictionary!
#5 Old 01-18-2005, 03:20 PM

Thanks, guys! Well I speak both languages so I guess I should be okay.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page