I'm right, aren't I? (misinformed Whole Foods employee) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-03-2005, 03:30 PM
Veggie Regular

So, I had just dropped my parents off at the Phoenix airport and decided to stop in at Whole Foods in Tempe before heading back down to Tucson. I'm always looking for a good vegan multi-vitamin that won't put me in debt, so I asked a guy in the supplement aisle if they had one. He didn't know, so he asked another girl who worked there. She said no and started to explain to me that they didn't carry a vegan multi because some nutrients were not absorbable without gelatin. WHAT!? I politely challenged this statement by telling her that there are vegan multis on the market and that there are other non-vegan multi-vitamins that don't contain gelatin. I told her that I thought gelatin was only used as an agent to give the pill or capsule form and had no effect on the nutritional value of the multi. She insisted that there was some nutrient that she couldn't remember that needed gelatin to be absorbed. This is absurd, right? I didn't press the point since I'm certainly no supplement expert, but if she was as wrong as I think she was, it's pretty annoying that she's so sure of her misinformation and is working in the supplement section, no?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-03-2005, 03:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Smells like BS.
#3 Old 01-03-2005, 03:53 PM
Veggie Regular

They weren't lying.

Granted there are a myriad of multis out there that don't use a gelatin capsule...

But some nutrients, like vitamin D, tend to be absorbed better inside some gelatin. Or at least, the companies that make them think so, so they keep selling them as such.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-03-2005, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharityAJO View Post

They weren't lying.

Granted there are a myriad of multis out there that don't use a gelatin capsule...

But some nutrients, like vitamin D, tend to be absorbed better inside some gelatin. Or at least, the companies that make them think so, so they keep selling them as such.

so then without gelatin there would still be some absorbtion it would just not be quite as effective?
#5 Old 01-03-2005, 03:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't think they would just not carry a vegan multi simply because of 1 or 2 inabsorpable nutrients. I've gotten vegan vitamins AT WholeFoods. Did you eventually find them?
#6 Old 01-03-2005, 03:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUndyingMonk View Post

so then without gelatin there would still be some absorbtion it would just not be quite as effective?

Correct.
#7 Old 01-03-2005, 04:00 PM
Veggie Regular

You might also check out this thread, for next time you head to the store: https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=15397
#8 Old 01-03-2005, 04:26 PM
Veggie Regular

If you asked a supermarket clerk a question about the history of English literature and she said something lame would you be surprised or upset?

There is a reason she is working as a supermarket clerk and not as a nutritionist or a professor of literature.

After over 26 years of being a vegetarian( with never one test showing any kind of nutritional deficiency ) the only people I take seriously, without investigating what they have to say as far as nutrition advice goes are veg*n dietitians.

Not medical doctors who have no training in nutrition and who can be foolish as lay people, not omni dietitians many of which stop learning once they are out of a school that gave them an outdated education, not someone who read an article somewhere, and definitely not web mavens without any professional credentials.

The clerk was full of it.

Use this link well

http://www.veganhealth.com

Check out the site in my sig for vegan vitamin vendors as well.

HTH

My Blog: beforewisdom.com
#9 Old 01-03-2005, 04:36 PM
Veggie Regular

i smell a fish....

btw, eggplant, do you live in tucson? i go to school there, and really wish that there was a whole foods, considering i grew up in a city with two of them.

i guess i have to settle for wild oats and trader joe's.
#10 Old 01-03-2005, 04:40 PM

This is BS. Gelatin has nothing to do with vitamin absorption. It is only used as the other poster said, to add shape and body to a product or in the case of most vitamins, to encapsulted them. The vegetarian gelatin serves the same purpose.

Vegan vitamins are absorbed as well as any tablet or capsule form and liquids are absorbed the best.

Any kind of vitamin info you need is here: Vitamins and Minerals

There report is really comprehensive and very long but well worth saving for reference. Probably more info than anyone wants but thought I would post it anyhoo!
#11 Old 01-03-2005, 04:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Correct me if I'm wrong... But doesn't gelatin have a bit to do with how the vitamin is carried? Whether it's water or fat soluble...

I feel like a terd. I'm a part-time supplements assistant. They don't train us! It's up to us to pick up tidbits of knowledge...

Where's Missleigh?
#12 Old 01-03-2005, 05:03 PM

Not really. The water-soluble vitamins are not normally stored in the body in any significant amounts. Therefore, they must be consumed in constant daily amounts to avoid depletion and interference with normal metabloic functioning.

The fat-soluble vitamins include vitamins A, D, E and K and are soluble in fat . these vitamins are stored in the body's fatty tissues, fat deposits, and liver.

This is what is meant by fat or water soluble and gelatin has nothing to do with this other than as a means to encapsulate and deliver them to your body. The vegetarian gel capsules do this just fine. Liquids do it even better. No gelatin needed!
#13 Old 01-03-2005, 05:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharityAJO View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong... But doesn't gelatin have a bit to do with how the vitamin is carried? Whether it's water or fat soluble...

I feel like a terd. I'm a part-time supplements assistant. They don't train us! It's up to us to pick up tidbits of knowledge...

Where's Missleigh?

Well it's good that they don't train you. I don't think clerks should be giving health advice or making claims about bioavailability, etc. Only pharmacists or other knowledgable and liscenced health professionals should be giving advice on those things, IMO. In fact, it's illegal for a clerk to make a claim that a certain supplement helps with a certain function/illness unless that claim has been approved by the FDA. Be careful, Charity, they sometimes do sting operations and you yourself could actually get in trouble.

http://www.quackwatch.org/01Quackery...hfsadvice.html
#14 Old 01-03-2005, 05:36 PM
Veggie Regular

The capsule or the way the pill is formed/comprised can alter the way the nutrients are absorbed. Gel-caps deliver a liquid that is encapsulated and digested at a different rate than a compreese-powder pill or tablet. That being said, *gelatin* specifically does not work as a catalyst for assimilation of nutrients.
#15 Old 01-03-2005, 05:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh, I know. We're told to play dumb. I'm not allowed to make recommendations for treating illnesses, etc.

I feel bad telling the customers I'm clueless, though. Sometimes I'm just like, "look hon, go buy a carrot." I know about nutrition in food, not pills.
#16 Old 01-03-2005, 05:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxy View Post

The capsule or the way the pill is formed/comprised can alter the way the nutrients are absorbed. Gel-caps deliver a liquid that is encapsulated and digested at a different rate than a compreese-powder pill or tablet. That being said, *gelatin* specifically does not work as a catalyst for assimilation of nutrients.

Yea, that's what I thought. See, Foxy to the rescue again.
#17 Old 01-03-2005, 05:42 PM
Veggie Regular

You so sweeet miss Charity
#18 Old 01-03-2005, 06:00 PM
Beginner

gee gimmie a bowl of jello with my vitamins please! Sounds like BS to me.
#19 Old 01-03-2005, 06:51 PM
Banned

I haven't seen a whole foods that doesn't carry the rice based all-one, which is vegan.
#20 Old 01-03-2005, 07:30 PM

#21 Old 01-03-2005, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRuthieB View Post

Interesting gelatin facts. http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshel...,10151,00.html

Interesting site. Thanks for posting the link.
#22 Old 01-03-2005, 10:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia View Post

Well it's good that they don't train you. I don't think clerks should be giving health advice or making claims about bioavailability, etc. Only pharmacists or other knowledgable and liscenced health professionals should be giving advice on those things, IMO. In fact, it's illegal for a clerk to make a claim that a certain supplement helps with a certain function/illness unless that claim has been approved by the FDA. Be careful, Charity, they sometimes do sting operations and you yourself could actually get in trouble.

http://www.quackwatch.org/01Quackery...hfsadvice.html

Absolutely, we can get in deep doo doo for any claims made. In fact, we are not even allowed to have, say, a book on allergies sitting too close to a bottle of nettles or something. Too much like a claim. If someone asks me a question, I will share with them what I may have read regarding specific studies, but I never "consult". If they need more help, I will pass them along to the certified nutritionist on staff, or one of the pharmacists. I have on many occasion had to tell people, "You better consult your MD about that". I am amazed at how much trust some people put in a supplement store clerk.

....and speaking of doo doo...... gelatin for absorbtion?? What the??
#23 Old 01-04-2005, 12:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountessKerouac View Post

I don't think they would just not carry a vegan multi simply because of 1 or 2 inabsorpable nutrients. I've gotten vegan vitamins AT WholeFoods. Did you eventually find them?

No, they didn't have any.
#24 Old 01-04-2005, 12:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by beforewisdom View Post

If you asked a supermarket clerk a question about the history of English literature and she said something lame would you be surprised or upset?

I just asked her if they carried a vegan multi. She volunteered the other "info". I wouldn't have been upset if she simply told me they didn't carry any, but I was annoyed because she was insisting that she knew what she was talking about when I was pretty sure she didn't. Judging by a couple of people's comments here, she shouldn't have elaborated any further beyond, "no, we don't carry any." That would have been fine by me.
#25 Old 01-04-2005, 12:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by desolationangel View Post

i smell a fish....

btw, eggplant, do you live in tucson? i go to school there, and really wish that there was a whole foods, considering i grew up in a city with two of them.

i guess i have to settle for wild oats and trader joe's.

Yup, I live in Tucson. I actually didn't buy much at Whole Foods because I didn't really see much there that I can't get here at Wild Oats. I did buy some Vegan Gourmet cheese though. They apparently stopped making the 100% rye bread I used to buy there when I lived in Tempe...
#26 Old 01-04-2005, 12:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggplant View Post

I just asked her if they carried a vegan multi. She volunteered the other "info". I wouldn't have been upset if she simply told me they didn't carry any, but I was annoyed because she was insisting that she knew what she was talking about when I was pretty sure she didn't. Judging by a couple of people's comments here, she shouldn't have elaborated any further beyond, "no, we don't carry any." That would have been fine by me.

Whole Foods ate a similar chain market called Fresh Fields. Fresh Fields had a very strict policy about clerks dispensing nutrtion nutrition advice, solicted or otherwise.

My Blog: beforewisdom.com
#27 Old 01-04-2005, 03:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Completely incorrect. Whole Foods even carries a vegan multi that's labeled as vegetarian.

It's the Whole Foods Market brand multivitamin, and on the label it says "suitable for vegetarians."
#28 Old 01-04-2005, 04:41 AM

Thanks mikie! I have been meaning to buy some multi-vitamins, and I don't feel like looking things up.

And yeah, I shop at the Tempe Whole Foods. They don't seem as nice/sociable there as other Whole Foods stores I have been to. I'm curious as to how the service is at the one in Paradise Valley.
#29 Old 01-04-2005, 04:50 AM

So Whole Foods does not carry VegLife? We carry that line at Wild Oats and they say vegan right on the label.

The "suitable for vegetarian" vitamins that we carry at Wild Oats have vitamin D3 in them.
#30 Old 01-04-2005, 05:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I buy vegan multis from WFM all the time. Of course, most of the ones I buy are chewable, so I don't even have to think about gelatin capsules.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page