Vegan Junk Food - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-29-2004, 07:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Determined to be vegan but stuck in a redneck area yesterday, I had to have potato chips & Fruitopia for dinner yesterday. Every soup at the corner store was meat-based. They only had shrimp & chicken ramen noodles. Even the produce was horrible-looking- very old- & overpriced.

I had brought a Clif bar to eat but I find one Clif bar only satisfies my hunger for about 30 min.

It's really discouraging that it's so hard to be vegan. The whole world seems to be against it once you leave enlightened cities.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-29-2004, 07:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Ooh - there was a post awhile ago about eating baby food when in a pickle for vegan food. I plan to do that if I'm ever stuck in a redneck area again. (Actually, I sort of live in a redneck area, but at least "real" people are only 30 miles away )
#3 Old 12-29-2004, 11:46 AM
Veggie Regular

That sucks. That's why I always keep something small to eat with me. It's crazy when you realize how it seems that just about everything has animal product in it when you start to look into it....It's kind of unsettleing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-29-2004, 12:00 PM
Veggie Regular

That stinks. I've been through that a couple of times, though I'm not vegan, even finding something that is lacto-ovo that isn't junk is a chore. I've learned to start bringing food with me or at the very least to eat something before I go so I'm not forced to do that.
#5 Old 12-29-2004, 12:51 PM

I always end up eating a plate of fries every time we go out to eat, because of this problem, so I know how you feel.

The Rev
#6 Old 12-29-2004, 03:39 PM
Veggie Regular

When I am stuck, I eat Tim Horton's bagels with peanut butter (as Tim Horton's is everywhere around here). I have no clue if they are vegan or not though (probably not). But I figure that it's better than the alternative which is almost always chips.

Okay, I just found this on the Tim Horton's website:

Quote:

Vegan: A person following a Vegan diet will not eat meat of any kind and will not consume any dairy or egg products. We suggest that you first please refer to our Animal Content Statement and review our Allergen Policy which discusses the nature of the bakery environment in terms of ingredient transfer. A few of the products that should be suitable for this class of vegetarian, however, are as follows:

High Fibre, Low Fat Muffins (contains honey)

Sandwich Buns

Oatcakes (cookie)

#7 Old 12-29-2004, 11:39 PM
Beginner

What you need is a good Vegan cookbook... Good started is 'How it All Vegan'. There are a lot of recipes in there which you can make with things you can get at almost any grocery store in the us.

Also you should check out:

http://www.almostvegan.com/

They have info on a lot of vegan products you can get in stores.

Finally if you want Vegan Junk Food that's good... check out http://store.foodfightgrocery.com/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page