Straight Edge? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-28-2004, 05:54 PM

I wanted to see how many people were straight edge. I'll start! I'm not straight edge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-28-2004, 05:58 PM

I'm not. I don't drink, smoke, or do drugs though.
#3 Old 12-28-2004, 06:00 PM

i am not, i partake in marijuana and salvia. i do not touch manufactured drugs, those scare me.. i dont take tylenol, drink alcohol, caffiene, etc.. so even though many look on me as a "stoner" and a druggy as drugs are often my form of entertainment, i probably have a lot less harmful drugs in my system than the "straight edge" folk who get high off a fat-ridden opiate-firing antibiotic-loaded steroid-pumped burger. in fact, if i ever catch one of those super cool kids that so loudly label themselves XXXEDGEXXX drinking a coke im going to be all over em!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-28-2004, 06:01 PM
Veggie Regular

If you don't count my daily caffeine intake in the form of either Pepsi, tea or coffee...I guess one could say that I am indeed straight edge. (not even any Rx drugs for me anymore! Yay!)

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#5 Old 12-28-2004, 06:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Nope.
#6 Old 12-28-2004, 06:15 PM

What are the requirements for being straight edge? I don't drink anything with alcohol, caffeine, sugar, or artificial sweeteners. Also I have never smoked or done any kind of drugs (including prescription drugs, except for prenatal vitamins). I do take tylenol about twice a year, though. I guess I'm pretty straight edge, then?
#7 Old 12-28-2004, 06:18 PM
Veggie Regular

No, I don't drink, smoke, or use any drugs, though. I avoid caffeine most of the time, the only time I'll drink caffeine is if it's in soda and then I go for the caffeine-free versions of it if I can get it.
#8 Old 12-28-2004, 06:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I am not straight edge. I try to limit my drinking to a very small minimum. But like Treybo I am into the herbal magic. I don't drink coffee but I do drink alot of green tea while it only has a pinch of caffine in it thats still a pinch. I tihnk the kids round here write it like so sXe.
#9 Old 12-28-2004, 06:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FafaFrappy View Post

Ditto.

Coffe neither.

Remember that Adam Ant song from the 80s "Don't drink, don't smoke, what do you do?"

My Blog: beforewisdom.com
#10 Old 12-28-2004, 06:46 PM
Veggie Regular

maybe i am wrong, but everything i have ever read about being straightedge has said that in addition to not consuming any of that crap, you need to be involved in the hardcore scene to be able to really call yourself that. so even if you are totally clean but not in the hardcore scene, you wouldn't exactly be straightedge.

anyway, no i'm not. i don't smoke or do drugs but i drink occasionally. also, well, i'm not exactly hardcore.
#11 Old 12-28-2004, 07:19 PM

I drink coffee and am far too old to be straightedge...

Nice to see veg*nism looked upon as cool though!
#12 Old 12-28-2004, 07:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild blackberry View Post

you need to be involved in the hardcore scene to be able to really call yourself that. so even if you are totally clean but not in the hardcore scene, you wouldn't exactly be straightedge.

That's not true at all. I think it's more of a case of you need to be involved in that scene to WANT to call yourself that. It's a trendy label for most. But being involved in the hardcore scene has no effect on the levels of mind-altering substances in your body, or the lack there of rather.

My little bro is sXe and i think he's one of the very few people who've done the sXe thing and has stuck (and will stick) to their guns. I've known a few people who have been sXe, criticized drinkers and drug users, and then all of a sudden go back to relying on the stuff for their weekly weekend entertainment and get like totally wasted dude!!

I'm not, as i feel no need to be. I don't smoke or do any drugs and i rarely indulge in alcohol consumption. And when i do, it's a beer or 2 max. While working in a bar for two years i quickly realized that alcohol AND drugs (especially weed) really were for losers.

But anyways, I find over-indulging in food to be way more satisfying than getting "wasted" as they say.
#13 Old 12-28-2004, 08:01 PM

i am straightedge.

heres my take on some of what has been discussed:

as for the 'requirements' of being straightedge i think it is necessary to have a firm understanding of its history and what it really means. this typically requires that people are into hardcore. i don't think that you have to be into hardcore to be straightedge, but it makes sense because straightedge was born out of the hardcore scene and to this day basically remains inside the scene. if you really want to learn about straightedge do a search and check out some of the founding bands and people behind the movement as well as bands that are currently promoting the straightedge way of life. they will all be hardcore bands so if you don't like hardcore there's not much point.

sadly, a large majority of the people who claim edge will sellout, and yes, it is trendy for some kids in the scene. some kids are straightedge because they want to fit in and they want something cool and tough to latch onto and most of the people who claim the edge will go back on what they said. it's a fact of life that people want to get drunk and stoned. it's just the way it is. its easy and our society and social institutions are based around these activities. people eventually get tired of being outcast or of having to find things to do that don't involve going to the bar or sitting around getting stoned. after a while, especially when kids are no longer into hardcore, they just don't see the point in being drug free anymore because it is a struggle at times. they move on to whatever else they can get into at the time or what their friends are into, frat parties, the bar scene, etc. it doesn't matter. if you're not now you never were. and i don't say that in an arrogant way, its just that straightedge is for life, nothing less.

but yeah, look into it if you want. i won't get into it too much here. i will say though that being drug free is one of the best things i have ever done for myself.
#14 Old 12-28-2004, 10:44 PM

Being sxe is something that I have thought about, and then not chosen to do.

It annoys me quite a bit when people say things such as "I dont drink, smoke, do drugs, have promiscious sex.. hey wow.. I'm straightedge." No you aren't. You're drug free. Sxe is a movement of people, who have made a lifestyle choice, a lifetime commitment. To be straightedge you have realise that it's a lifetime commitment. You can't "claim edge" then drink whenever it's conveniant for you.

And selling out is kinda lame too, especially if you used to be a preacher.

I admire straightedgers that are in it for the right reasons, ie, not to be.. more "" scene."

I hate hardcore kids that go around beating on others that aren't sxe. I aint down with that.
#15 Old 12-28-2004, 10:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Labels piss me off.

People say I act "straight-edge" simply because I choose to abstain from alcohol, drugs, etc. No, I don't party...but, not because I am part of a "movement" or anything, I simply do not LIKE it. And I am not one for doing things I don't like. I am not a social person, I enjoy being by myself or with one close friend, which I have few of. I am a boring person, but you know what? I don't care! Mwhahaha.

I hate labels.
#16 Old 12-28-2004, 10:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Not even close.
#17 Old 12-28-2004, 11:24 PM
Veggie Regular

not at all

ETA: actually i'm dying for a drink right now
#18 Old 12-28-2004, 11:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I am soooo not straight edge. Not even a little.

and I like it like that.

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#19 Old 12-28-2004, 11:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Same here
#20 Old 12-29-2004, 03:07 AM

I don't know much about being straight edge but I think it's a good thing. I've always hated drugs and crap like that. I'm not going to say I am straight edge though.
#21 Old 12-29-2004, 03:19 AM
Veggie Regular

I guess straightedge is kind of like vegan. some people have different definitions.

I'm pretty close. No illegal drugs, no smoking, no alcohol, no sex... but I do caffiene pretty regularly...

and I think you have to be a punk rock sort of person to be really "straightedge" as such. and I'm... like... not that. I'm just one of the rare kids who listened when the DARE people came to my grade school.
#22 Old 12-29-2004, 03:36 AM

My friends tried to convince me that smoking was cool when I was eleven and they tried to tell me I should start but I said no. I was proud of myself when I got older and I'm proud of myself now for staying away from drugs and alcohol at this age.
#23 Old 12-29-2004, 03:46 AM

be careful, i see several "alcohol and drugs like weed".. alcohol is a drug, and is a more potent and mind-altering drug than weed is..
#24 Old 12-29-2004, 03:53 AM

i actually didnt try drugs until about 2 yrs ago, about the time i went vegan.. i think most open-minded ppl would try weed or mushrooms as another, quite different, form of entertainment. moderation is key, and just checkin out the experience a couple times can be far more healthy than many practices deemed, uhm, normal. and if u cook with the weed (my preferred method im sure the damages are pretty minimal?
#25 Old 12-29-2004, 03:55 AM

The other day someone told me scientists found that there isn't actually any long term damage caused to the brain by weed use. The only thing it affects is short term memory loss, after use..

I dunno if I believe that though ay.. I've met quite a few.. umm.. "drug fsked" people.

Everything in moderation. sort of thing.
#26 Old 12-29-2004, 04:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Yeah, same here for the most part. I have an occasional drink, but I don't get drunk. Sobriety is very important to me. I also don't drink coffee, but I do drink tea once and awhile, and I heavily partake in chocolate. (But I never get a buzz off those like I did on coffee, or else I'd give them up as well.)
#27 Old 12-29-2004, 06:50 AM
Veggie Regular

i think it's hard for me to say. I've never been interested in drugs. I've never been interested in promiscuous sex. I'm interested in all kinds of music, including the punk/hardcore--and i still listen to it today.

i do not think that it is a "fact of life" that people "want to party" by using drugs. I think that some people may find that fun or interesting and enjoyable--i find it boring and uncreative. I think that some people may think that it's open minded to try a few things--i think the argument can be made, but it is also possible for a person to be open minded and discover that they're really not interested and that there are other ways of reaching 'altered states' that last much longer and have an incredibly positive effect on the individual and the world. And, i also think that just because a person doesn't use drugs, it doesn't mean that they don't like to "party" in the sense of going out with friends, hanging out and talking, dancing the night away, and just generally having a good, uninhibited time (the uninhibited part comes from self esteem rather than a drug to calm the nerves).

I guess you could say that i'm 'straight edge' and will be for life--but it was never a hard decision for me. Perhaps because it wasn't a decision that was particularly active, i'm not 'straight edge.'

for me it's simple: i've never had any interest in drugs, so i've never taken them. I've been around people who use them; i've been to numerous parties where just about anything you can imagine was available and i never used it. It's not because i sat down one day and was like "drugs are bad m'kay!" I was just never interested, so i never did it, and it's likely that i never will. It's not a thing of pride for me; it's not a thing of embarassment for me; it's just what/who i am, and i think that's pretty healthy.

and, i avoid using any kinds of kinds of over the counter or prescription drugs too: no asprin/ibprophen, no cough syrup or nyquil type stuff, no antibiotics, no medications. I'll only take them when necessary. I do use various numbing drugs for extensive dentle work. after the work is done, i don't use pain medications. that's just the way i am.

caffine is questionable. i'm not sure if it can be categorized as a 'drug' even though it causes 'alterned states'--as garlic and onions and other spices can cause altered states for some people, sugar can too. i think that perhaps it can be because of it's addictive qualities. i'm not sure. I do drink things with caffine in them--usually tea. it's not a lot of caffine, but there you go.
#28 Old 12-29-2004, 07:05 AM

Yeah... Drugs, drinking, and smoking just haven't been my thing. I do the caffiene thing though. Not that I ever get a buzz from it or anything. heh. Not even with coffee. *shrug* I guess I have been addicted to caffiene for so long that it does not affect me anymore.

I am also a DARE graduate. I don't remember really listening, but I like to feel that I arrived to my thoughts on drugs on my own. I didn't sit down one day and say, "I am going to refrain from using drugs, drinking alcohol, or smoking because it's the right thing to do! The DARE officer said so! " My dad smoked, and I always hated it, drugs are of no interest whatsoever, and neither is alcohol. I just want to be clean.
#29 Old 12-29-2004, 07:38 AM
Veggie Regular

I am (now) clean. No drugs, alcohol, smoking, prescription meds, etc. I do still have a caffeinated tea now and then, and sometimes will have a Coke if I have a headache (not sure why it helps, but it does). Oh I also still eat chocolate, but can't say any of those things ever cause me a "buzz" or give me any of the problems that drinking alcohol used to!
#30 Old 12-29-2004, 10:20 AM
Veggie Regular

I consider myself straightedge, and no, that's not bragging or putting anyone done, just like claiming to be vegan isn't. I stay away from drugs, including caffeine, (I feel a lot better without it, I used to drink it). I will however take medical drugs when really necessary (and I dont just mean tylenol when I have a headache), which I think is a reasonable exception.

I guess the label itself is more from my friends though, especially since we're all into the punk and hardcore music scene. I have stayed away from drugs and drinking my entire life. I just really don't enjoy the company of those that are intoxicated and wouldn't like to be seen in a similar way. I'd also like to avoid becoming like those whose entire lives revolve around getting high. I realize that most people can handle these things well in moderation, but I'd just prefer to avoid the whole thing all together.

Anyway, hasn't this topic been done before? Or maybe that was just in the teen forum. I guess it becomes a lot less interesting of a topic to most people once they turn 21.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page