Putting My Foot Down for Vegan Food!!! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-23-2004, 07:34 AM
Veggie Regular

MY Dad invited me out to a fancy restaurant, but I told him I wasn't going unless the Boxing Day reservation could provide me w/ decent vegan food. After one Xmas party this year where I had to eat dairy & got *very* sick, I have made the decision that anyone inviting me out for dinner had better get used to my eating habits.

I just spoke to the restaurant & got a very nice *vegetarian* staffer on the phone, & we talked about vegan options: a mushroom burger, cheese/egg/bacon-free spinach salad w/ balsamic vinaigrette, a stir-fry, an avocado sandwich... She was so nice, & said she would tell the chef I was coming & I could talk to him before they prepared the food!!

So now I don't have to sit at home & eat ramen noodles while my family chows down at a very fancy restaurant.

I still don't get along w/ my family, but things will go a lot smoother than last year, when at another restaurant I ate cheese & fruit for a price of $40 a plate, while everyone else had a 4 course meal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-23-2004, 08:32 AM

Good for you! There's no reason we should have to eat salad and bread while others eat fancy meals.
#3 Old 12-23-2004, 08:47 AM
Veggie Regular

that's great organica!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-23-2004, 08:50 AM
Veggie Regular

I think that is perfectly reasonable. It wouldn't make sense to give a gesture of goodwill by inviting them to do something they can't participate in. Good for you!

Of course the dream is of a time when all our relatives and friends understand our diets so well that they are the ones to call ahead and find out what they have. An omni I used to date used to pick up menus from places he wanted to go and look to see what they had and did a final rundown with me to make sure I approved. Makes sense, really.
#5 Old 12-23-2004, 01:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Calling ahead to nice restaurants is always a great solution. My wedding weekend, my mother took everyone to brunch, and I called ahead and found out that the kitchen often made vegan meals for their Indian boss, so they were more than prepared to put something together for me. They confirmed my reservation and, when I showed up that day, the food was ready to go and the envy of several people at our table!

Good for you!
#6 Old 12-25-2004, 06:28 PM
Veggie Regular

#7 Old 12-25-2004, 08:11 PM
Veggie Regular

It just shows you what people can do when they're really impassioned about something. Maybe it's because I live in Los Angeles, but I've noticed that there are plenty of restaurants around which will have at least one vegetarian item on the menu, like a seafood restaurant near me that offers a vegetarian pasta entree. I believe it's either because enough people asked for it or they are aware of the number of vegetarians in the area who would likely patronize their restaurant if there was something there they could eat. Family restaurants like Marie Callendar's or The Cheesecake Factory offer a veggie burger. I had to report for jury duty last week, and the courthouse cafeteria had a salad bar (nothing spectacular, unfortunately) and also offered a Gardenburger.

However, not all restaurants in L.A. are so enlightened. There are still plenty of these places that think "vegetarian" means a plate of steamed vegetables, either plain or drowning in cheese. I either have to call in advance, or be creative once I'm there, like ordering mostly the side dishes.

*this space not for sale*
#8 Old 12-25-2004, 09:56 PM

Wtg Organica! Hope it turns out to be yummy.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#9 Old 12-26-2004, 05:57 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm going tonight- I can't wait!!!
#10 Old 12-26-2004, 06:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Awsome, it sounds yummy!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page