#1 Old 01-07-2003, 05:31 PM

are the smore ones vegan?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-08-2003, 02:49 AM
Veggie Regular

website's nutrition info for s'mores bar:

http://www.lunabar.com/flavorsfacts/flav-smores.html

Ingredients: LunaProTM (soy protein isolate, rolled oats, soy flour, rice flour, roasted soybeans, crisp rice [isolated soy protein, rice flour, malt, salt], flaxseeds), brown rice syrup, marshmallow and graham cracker flavored nuggets (evaporated cane juice, fractionated palm kernel oil, oat fiber, oat flour, gum arabic, citric acid, natural marshmallow flavor, natural graham cracker flavor, soy lecithin, natural color), natural flavors, sea salt, decaffeinated green tea extract. Chocolatey Coating: evaporated cane juice, fractionated palm kernel oil, cocoa, soy lecithin, natural flavors.

Vitamins and Minerals: Dicalcium phosphate, magnesium oxide, ascorbic acid (Vit.C), alpha-tocopherol acetate (Vit.E), biotin, zinc picolinate, niacin, ferrous fumarate (iron), molybdenum glycinate, calcium pantothenate, phytonadione (Vit.K), copper, manganese, beta carotene (Vit.A), selenium, pyridoxine (B6), riboflavin (B2), thiamin (B1), chromium, cyanocobalamin (B12), folic acid, potassium iodide. May contain traces of peanut or other nuts. No high fructose corn syrup.

it says "natural marshmallow flavour" but i don't know whether or not that's vegan for sure. it also says 0% cholesterol though so i think it probably is ok

they have 4 new flavours!

Sweet Dreams - An indulgent blend of cocoa soy crisps, peanuts and a hint of caramel.

omg how good does that sound

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#3 Old 01-08-2003, 10:32 AM

To my knowledge, all Luna Bars are vegan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-08-2003, 06:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Luna Bars are all vegan.
#5 Old 01-08-2003, 09:58 PM
Banned

The ingredients are vegan, however the panty sniffers and crotch stuffers on some *other* vegan boards say Luna bars are not vegan as the company donates money to breast cancer research (which uses animals.)

<Edited because I always get jumpy when I type the word "breast".>
#6 Old 01-08-2003, 11:07 PM
Veggie Regular

The Sweet Dreams bars are great, but I think Peppermint Twist (or is it Stick?) rocks! It's been awhile since I had Luna bars because I am trying to save money.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#7 Old 01-09-2003, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tame

The ingredients are vegan, however the panty sniffers and crotch stuffers on some *other* vegan boards say Luna bars are not vegan as the company donates money to breast cancer research (which uses animals.)

Ugh. I've been told that as well. And if you're (a general you, not Tame) going to be that picky about it, you shouldn't eat Lightlife products because it's owned by ConAgra or drink Silk because it's partly owned by Dean's Dairy or eat Boca stuff because it's owned by Philip Morris, etc, etc, etc.

I applaud those who can do that. You do the very best you can.
#8 Old 01-09-2003, 03:35 PM
Veggie Regular

I did not know Boca was owned by Philip Morris! Sh*t! Sh*t! Sh*t!
#9 Old 01-09-2003, 03:42 PM

'Tis true, sadly. I don't buy Boca, but there have been instances where I've gone to a cookout and the host bought Boca burgers to accomodate me, and I've eaten those even though I hate PM. *sigh* Tough call.
#10 Old 01-09-2003, 04:17 PM
Banned

yeah, the silk buyout pisses me off. my journalist friend did a big article on it - if i can find it again, i'll post it. but i don't buy their products anymore. i'll eat them if they are there and someone has bought them for me, but i wont put my money towards them.

i used to love luna bars. but due to a food poisioning issue i had i can no longer eat them. oh! the memories! the horrid memories!

cliffbars however. hand 'em over.
#11 Old 01-09-2003, 04:26 PM

Especially that Java one, from the Ice Series. With coffee beans in it. Mmmmmmmmm............
#12 Old 01-09-2003, 05:42 PM
Veggie Regular

i didn't like those, they taste funny.

i didn't know luna had that many flavours til i checked the website. around here i usually only find the nutz over chocolate (my fave so far), pecan pie, orange bliss and key lime. those ones i always find, sometimes i'll spot others but not ones i want to try. i've never seen sweet dreams or s'more or that peppermint one. see now, what they need is one with almonds in the chocolate. that i'd buy by the case.

~Miyavi "Torture"
#13 Old 01-09-2003, 07:46 PM
Veggie Regular

The most inexpensive place I have found so far to buy Luna bars from is Marc's at $.97 each. They only have two kinds there-- Nutz over Chocolate and Lemon Zest. The lemon is among my favorites, so I usually buy those on the rare occassions that I break down and spend my hard-earned money. If I bought them at the health food store, they'd be $1.20 something, a little less if I get them by the case of sixteen. At that store they have almost every flavor that Luna makes. *sigh*

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#14 Old 01-12-2003, 11:22 PM
Banned

"i used to love luna bars. but due to a food poisioning issue i had i can no longer eat them. oh! the memories! the horrid memories!

cliffbars however. hand 'em over."

Huh? Luna bars are Cliff bars.

"Natural marshmallow flavor" That is a ridiculous phrase. Marshmallows are a kind of confection, a dish, a concoction, made largely of sugar and foamed vegetable starch, often flavored with natural or artificial vanilla. They often have small amounts of gelatin, probably to improve the foamy texture when the starch-sugar mixture is whipped, foamed -- has air mixed into it, and to help the texture stay the same for a few months. A marshmallow is dish, a concoction, made from a recipe, which can vary somewhat from maker to maker, not a naturally found material. Therefore the concept of "natural marshmallow flavor" is absurd. That is like saying natural bread flavor, and almost like saying natural soup flavor, or natural stew flavor. Therefore I don't trust that recipe list, or the company. Further, their bars taste awful, and are absurdly expensive for cookies. The fact that each bar has 30 or 40 different ingredients, means that there must be very little of some or all of the ingredients: they are including ingredients because that means they can list them on the label, and listing them on the label is a marketing strategy. They are marketing their product to "label readers." Careless label readers see "green tea," and -- buzzword -- they want to buy the item with green tea in it -- without stopping to think that the amount of green tea may be microscopic, and thus of no real benefit to them, the way green tea may be of benefit, if they ingested a significant amount. Cliff: bull****.
#15 Old 01-13-2003, 12:23 AM
Banned

eh? cliff bars are NOT luna bars. same ingredients more or less, maybe, but they are definitely not the same.

i just eat cliff bars when i go backpacking or what not - easy to carry, filling and have a decent amount of protein.

but cliff and luna bars aren't the same.
#16 Old 01-13-2003, 02:51 AM
Veggie Regular

same company different product. luna bars are geared toward women (athletes or nonathletes alike), cliff bars are geared toward athletes of either sex.

luna bars are not "cookies" they are marketed as nutritional supplements and the main reason i like them is they have a lot of B vitamins which i don't get that much of otherwise. the other stuff in them is just an added bonus. plus they're yummy.

they're expensive around here though. at grocery stores they're about $2.79 and at health food stores i've seen them at $1.99 (canadian)

~Miyavi "Torture"
#17 Old 01-13-2003, 10:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Soilman,

Might the "natural marshmallow flavor" be something else in nature that when used in that particular mixture has the effect of tasting like mashmallows? Is that interpretation allowed by the legal definition of what those terms mean?

#18 Old 01-13-2003, 10:35 AM
Veggie Regular

I like them because they are easy to take to school and eat between classes, plus they seem to be better for me than the other granola bars that have all kinds of animal products in them. It was my Spanish teacher, ironically enough, who told me that they exist. She always eats in her classes because she has three consecutive classes right over lunch time. This turns out nicely for me because that means since I have five consecutive classes on the days that I take her class, I can take food in to eat with me during her class, and what can she say? Everyone else sits in that class and complains about how hungry they are. I'm actually doing something about it.

Ok, major ramble there. Sorry!

#19 Old 01-13-2003, 11:49 AM

There is an herb called marshmallow....although I don't know if it tastes anything like the made up stuff.
#20 Old 01-13-2003, 12:17 PM
Banned

marshmellow root is pretty stinky. and not in an all too pleasant way. i've used it with a few recipes actually.
#21 Old 01-14-2003, 11:35 AM
Banned

Luna Bars are a subset of Cliff Bars. They are a kind of Cliff Bar. Luna Bars are manufactured by Cliff Inc. Any "nutrition bar" manufactured by Cliff Inc, is a Cliff Bar.

Cookie: sweet dough or batter baked in a thin layer (1/4 to 1/2 inch or so) until chewy or crisp, as opposed to fluffy, containing ground grain and sweetner, and may contain other ingredients in addition. If you add some micronutrients to your dough or batter, you still have a cookie. A "nutrition bar" is a cookie. Nutrition is synonymous with food. So a nutrition bar is a food bar. "Bar" just refers to the rectangular shape of the cookie.

You can use whatever coy marketing terms you want for your cookies -- that doesn't mean they aren't cookies.
#22 Old 01-14-2003, 11:37 AM
Banned

Yes, the "original" marshmallows were made from marshmallow root instead of corn starch like they are today. I guess marshmallow root must a starchy root like potato, or cassava (same as tapioca) or sweet potato, or yam.
#23 Old 01-14-2003, 02:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
orginally posted by soilman

Luna Bars are a subset of Cliff Bars. They are a kind of Cliff Bar. Luna Bars are manufactured by Cliff Inc. Any "nutrition bar" manufactured by Cliff Inc, is a Cliff Bar.

hehe, soilman playing the "technicality" card.
#24 Old 01-14-2003, 06:32 PM
Banned

Funkified writes:

==================

eh? cliff bars are NOT luna bars. same ingredients more or less, maybe, but they are definitely not the same.

====================

I didn't say Luna Bars are "the same" as Cliff Bars. I said Luna bars are Cliff Bars. No 2 of the several varieties of Cliff Bars are the same as one another. But each of them are Cliff Bars. Take any 2 of the several varieties of Cliff Bars; they are both Cliff Bars -- but they are definitly not the same. The fact that they are not the same doesn't mean that they aren't Cliff Bars. The fact that Luna Bars are not the same as other Cliff bars, doesn't mean that they aren't Cliff Bars.

And yes I am consider the phrase "made" for women -- to be little more than marketing language for marketed to women.
#25 Old 01-14-2003, 06:37 PM
Banned

I'm not playing cards. I am not obsessing over small technicalities. I'm communicating significant and useful facts.
#26 Old 01-14-2003, 08:02 PM

Carry on, Soilman, carry on
#27 Old 01-14-2003, 09:13 PM
Veggie Regular

They're marketed towards women because they contain nutrients women need in different amounts than men do. For example, they contain calcium, and I know calcium is very important during menstruation, and it's also known to help ward off osteoporosis, which is common in women.

My brother ate a Luna bar once, and I told him he was going to turn into a girl. :P

My favorite flavor is cherry covered chocolate...
#28 Old 01-15-2003, 02:45 AM

I buy Luna bars by the case....so convienent...so good...
#29 Old 01-15-2003, 06:52 AM

Now I'm going to have to find these Luna bars this weekend and try one. I've never had them. What are some of your favorites? What flavor should I try first?
#30 Old 01-15-2003, 03:31 PM
Banned

"I buy Luna bars by the case....so convienent...so good."

Luna-style Cliff bars, and all Cliff bars, taste like compost to me. I've tasted compost, but I don't enjoy it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page