Weird thought about the life of a veghead - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-05-2004, 09:26 AM
Veggie Regular

So I was thinking about my veggie lifestyle today, and came to this conclusion.

I CAN'T be the only one who thinks that being vegetarian or vegan is fun, right?

I mean... I can honestly say it's exciting, even though it's been like four years... I think it's the exploring new foods aspect that I enjoy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-05-2004, 09:34 AM

I know exactly what you mean. I remember the first spring & summer after I went veg; a trip to the farmer's market or produce stand was like going to Disneyland! Everything was so colorful and exciting, and I would buy all kinds of new cool veggies, and when I got home it was hard to decide what to cook first.

It's not quite Disneyland anymore, but it's still fun to me.
#3 Old 12-05-2004, 09:41 AM
Veggie Regular

I think it's fun too It would probably be more fun if I had more money to be able to afford more of a variety of things but it's still fun to hear about new veggie products and see all these kinds of dishes you could prepare.. I've been cooking/picking my food out for myself a lot more than when I was omni and it's really exciting and fun even if I am not too skilled in cooking. It's just fun to try making new things. I would always get pizza with cheese and pepperoni because I hated vegetables (still do but not so much) but after tasting homemade veggie pizza w/out cheese I am so glad I could still eat pizza and enjoy it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-05-2004, 10:14 AM
Veggie Regular

I have had tons of fun too, not only exploring new foods and stuff-

I also have had this deep sense of peace since going veg that has really helped me appreciate life and everything I do!

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#5 Old 12-05-2004, 10:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy View Post

I have had tons of fun too, not only exploring new foods and stuff-

I also have had this deep sense of peace since going veg that has really helped me appreciate life and everything I do!

Ohh yeah definitely that too and i feel more educated because of all the research and the nice feeling of not being ignorant to such a huge thing.
#6 Old 12-05-2004, 10:22 AM
Beginner

To this day, I still get excited when I come across new vegan foods at the supermarket!

On Thursday, I went into the bookstore in the mall and found a lone vegan cookbook - Vive le Vegan by Dreena Burton. I was so happy you'd think I had won the lottery. LOL
#7 Old 12-05-2004, 10:26 AM
Veggie Regular

I feel the same way! well, only if I could afford it. I'll just feel worse if it's something i really want but too expensive..
#8 Old 12-05-2004, 10:27 AM

I too think it's fun
#9 Old 12-05-2004, 10:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Gracie - That's how I felt when I found an AWESOME selection of veggie/vegan snacks and meals at Drug Emporium's natural foods section yesterday...

spehl - I'm cooking my own food too now... doesn't it make you feel nice and self-sufficient?

synergy - I feel more empathetic towards life in general, as well...
#10 Old 12-05-2004, 10:46 AM
Veggie Regular

everytime I sink my teeth into something wonderfully vegan I've made, I think, "man, I am so happy I'm vegan". I wouldn't change it for the world. Like right now I'm eating chili over bread with fake dogs..mmmmmmmmm
#11 Old 12-05-2004, 10:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MezzoEmi View Post

spehl - I'm cooking my own food too now... doesn't it make you feel nice and self-sufficient?

yes it does! less dependent and more proud too even if the food doesn't turn out too great
#12 Old 12-05-2004, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MezzoEmi View Post

I CAN'T be the only one who thinks that being vegetarian or vegan is fun, right?

I'm surprised no one has posted about this!

Being vegan is WAY FUN! Especially for me, because I get off on being different, marching to the beat of my own drummer. I also have the good feelings that come from knowing I'm taking action on my beliefs, and have consistency in my life with regards to animals.

It's also fun as hell to watch omnis squirm when they find out you're vegan. They don't ALL squirm. Some people are quite open-minded, actually. But when you get a really defensive omni, one who starts in with all the "Gawd meant for us to eat meat!!" BS, it's just funny to watch them defend themself against an attack on their character that I never even made.

I also like knowing I'm eating healthy, and that my compassionate decision is paying me back in more than just good karma. I don't have to worry too much about heart disease (which runs in my family), and probably cancer and other diseases of affluence (as they call them) are going to be less of a worry as well. I've also lost alot of weight (without the corresponding loss of muscle that comes with deprivation dieting) and that's really great.

Girl, I could go on all day about why I just LOVE to be vegan!

Thanks for posting this great thread!

The Rev
#13 Old 12-05-2004, 02:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I never thought I'd get excited about a HFS, but, I just explode with joy when I walk into one.
#14 Old 12-05-2004, 02:22 PM
Veggie Regular

hell yeah it's fun !

i think we're happy people

there is a newspaper article that i read that talks about this too, how we appreciate life more and stuff

what can i say

we rock !
#15 Old 12-05-2004, 02:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rev View Post

Being vegan is WAY FUN! Especially for me, because I get off on being different, marching to the beat of my own drummer.

NO KIDDING. I'm the EXACT same way... it's just COOL to be different...maybe I just like attention!

Quote:

I also like knowing I'm eating healthy, and that my compassionate decision is paying me back in more than just good karma. I don't have to worry too much about heart disease (which runs in my family), and probably cancer and other diseases of affluence (as they call them) are going to be less of a worry as well. I've also lost alot of weight (without the corresponding loss of muscle that comes with deprivation dieting) and that's really great.

Again, ditto. And specially-made vegan "junk food" (cookies, etc) are STILL healthier than those made with eggs/milk!

Quote:

Thanks for posting this great thread!

Thanks for your comments!
#16 Old 12-05-2004, 02:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I dunno, it was interesting for a week or two, now it's just my usual routine.
#17 Old 12-05-2004, 02:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana19105 View Post

I dunno, it was interesting for a week or two, now it's just my usual routine.

I'm also excited and amused very easily.
#18 Old 12-05-2004, 02:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickman View Post

I never thought I'd get excited about a HFS, but, I just explode with joy when I walk into one.

yeah, i see or hear about a health food store and i get all excited about the possibility of going to check it out when most people would completely dismiss it.
#19 Old 12-05-2004, 02:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickman View Post

Sometimes I'll go into the HFS even when I don't have any money or need to buy things (but I have time to kill).

I just like to wander around in there, window shop, so to speak!

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#20 Old 12-05-2004, 02:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Meh, I dont even like healthfood stores. They always smell weird and everything there is stupid-expensive.
#21 Old 12-05-2004, 03:28 PM
Veggie Regular

OMFG YES! I've never shopped as an omni so I don't know how I'd feel if I'd done that...but at the supermarket I can say for sure that the people with bits of bodies in their carts don't seem to be having anywhere near as much fun as I am!

The other thing that makes me super happy is vegan baking-> I had to learn what all of the ingredients actually do and can now improve recipes or just make them up. A few weeks ago I made a batch of the best brownies I've ever made, and I called people just to tell them about it. What a dork! Oh, well, Things are just more fun for me when I understand them.
#22 Old 12-05-2004, 03:48 PM
Veggie Regular

I love being a Veghead

i never felt so sure of who i was before...its wierd i dont know how to explain it but i feel like i've found myself...

and the food is delish!

I can finally taste

#23 Old 12-05-2004, 04:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I love it, being vegan has opened my mind to a whole world of new foods, plus I'm much more at peace.
#24 Old 12-05-2004, 04:58 PM

Yeap...I went to the store today and got giddy because they sold tofurky, and that I found a vegan pizza crust. Yeah....its the simple things.
#25 Old 12-05-2004, 06:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I like to know that I am saving 90 lives a year. At least I know I am doing something right!
#26 Old 12-05-2004, 06:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Hmmm, I think regular grocery stores smell WAY worse than HFS. Yuck.

I DO love being a vegan! It makes me really happy! It's contributed to my health, my spirituality, my new career path (chef)--how could I not love it?
#27 Old 12-06-2004, 09:25 AM
Veggie Regular

I love being vegan too! I get really excited at work when I get vegan customers! I feel like I won the lottery or something. lol.

Veganism rules!
#28 Old 12-06-2004, 09:36 AM

I thought I was just a big nerd!

Veganism makes me excited to try new things and go into HFSs... Oh, and I love finding new products! And cooking experments.. Figuring out how to veganize things. Hehe! I love it all!
#29 Old 12-06-2004, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethann View Post

I love it, being vegan has opened my mind to a whole world of new foods, plus I'm much more at peace.

Ditto. I agree 100%. I've always enjoyed cooking, but ever since I've become a vegetarian (converting to vegan), I've had lots more fun experimenting with ingredients, seasonings, baking, etc.

I even have more an appreciation, respect & love for animals.

(Which is why I made the quote under my avatar).
#30 Old 12-06-2004, 10:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Not vegan... but I've found that becoming vegetarian has been very exciting. I love the Whole Food store (and even my sister - an omni - loves it). . And hummus - YUM. Woulda never tried it if I stayed an omni probably.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page