Vegan cookbook for omni Christmas present... good idea? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-02-2004, 10:20 AM
Veggie Regular

My mom (an omni) recently came back from a trip to Italy... so all she talks about is Italy, Italy, Italy.

She's never expressed an interest in my veganism... she tries to prepare a dish for me at family gatherings (typically the ubiquitous fruit salad), but it's only a half-hearted effort. I'm the "strange" one, so she's more worried about what other people want to eat. Also, she usually expects me to bring my own dish, which I do because it's easier.

She needs to get healthier, and she's expressed an interest in healthy eating, but she would never become veg*n. She does like to experiment with recipes and cooking, but on her own terms.

My question: Is The Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen cookbook a good gift idea, or a bad gift idea?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-02-2004, 10:28 AM
Veggie Regular

i have it and never used it cuz i'm not into that kind of food but i think it would most definitely be suitable.

here's some other replies:

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=28527
#3 Old 12-02-2004, 10:52 AM
Veggie Regular

i think that the vegsource lady (not stpeianak, but the other one on the recipes board) has a lot of italian cookbooks. I think it can work as a gift for three reasons:

1. it has to do with her interest in italy (def play up this angle)

2. it can help her adopt healthier eating habits, even if she doesn't become vegan (be certain that you communicate in some way that this is to increase her food diversity, not to make her or ask her to become vegan)

3. it will give her more options on what to cook for you when you're there for parties and what not.

i think it would work. it's tough, but it would work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-02-2004, 11:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Unless she's super-sensitive, I don't see why it wouldn't be fine. I would think omnis would be just as interested in a vegan cookbook as anyone else, if they were interested in yummy food.

Bryanna Clark Grogan has one Italian cookbook, Nonna's Italian Kitchen. It's wonderful, but has a lot of meat- and dairy-subsitute type recipes, so I wouldn't get it unless she's specifically interested in that.
#5 Old 12-02-2004, 11:27 AM
Veggie Regular

You should get people gifts that you know they'll really enjoy and use. Don't use xmas or b-days to get people things you think they should have.
#6 Old 12-02-2004, 11:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post

i think it would work. it's tough, but it would work.

Yeah, that's what I think. Things get hairy enough around the holidays. I'm thinking it's not worth the trouble.
#7 Old 12-02-2004, 03:05 PM
Veggie Regular

right. i mean, it's partly about spin.

but, if you can get a cookbook that has meat and vegetarian recipes, then perhaps that will help. or, maybe get two: one vegan and one not vegan. then, it's a bit of both.
#8 Old 12-02-2004, 04:55 PM
Veggie Regular

bad idea. I don't even like that cookbook and I love to cook - it's too boring, the recipes are too similar to each other, and the ones that don't seem boring are way too tedious.

If you're going to go for a cookbook, I'd suggest "Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone" by Deborah Madison. I like that one b/c it's so straightforward and uses standard ingredients (no searching for quinoa, no recipes with 30 ingredients...). It's almost like a vegetarian "Joy of Cooking."

but it doesn't have that italian theme you want.

you could get her a gift basket with things that are italian - like pannetone and a jar of fancy olives and that fancy pasta they sell for like $4 a package and some vegan fancy sauce and bread sticks and... you get the idea.
#9 Old 12-02-2004, 05:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm going to disagree, I love the Mediterranean... and have served many of the recipes in it to omnivores and people have always enjoyed the meal. I think given that she loves Italian food, it would be appropriate.
#10 Old 12-02-2004, 05:41 PM
Veggie Regular

If she is the kind of person who is put off by the word vegan then I would have to say no. If she has expressed an interest in vegan cooking then I say go for it. If she really has no interest in cooking vegan then she won't use it and it will be a waste of money. You could try looking for a cookbook with a title along the line of Great Vegetable Dishes or something instead, if you want her to eat more vegetables, but a vegan cookbook and a vegetable cookbook are two different things.
#11 Old 12-02-2004, 06:45 PM
Veggie Regular

The Vegetarian Times Mediterranean Cookbook is AWESOME, if you'd like another idea. It has lots of vegan recipes. I use it all the time.

I still don't see why everyone thinks this is such a terrible idea. If she likes to cook, and she's interested in Mediterranean food, I'd think she'd be interested in trying some new ideas.

The food basket is a good idea--you could combine that with the cookbook and maybe it wouldn't seem as weird.
#12 Old 12-02-2004, 07:12 PM

The "Meat and Potatoes" cookbook is great! I forget if its vegetarian or vegan, but it's quite good for "hearty" foods.

However, like Mollygoat said, if you combine a cookbook w/ some of the more "exotic" ingredients (my mother things basil is exotic), it will make it easier for her to cook.
#13 Old 12-02-2004, 07:49 PM
Beginner

Why not?!? It shows you know her interests and want to share your own as well as the fact that you care about her. Worst thing that could happen is that she could exchange it for another one if veggie ain't her thing.
#14 Old 12-02-2004, 08:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyGoat View Post

The food basket is a good idea--you could combine that with the cookbook and maybe it wouldn't seem as weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristadb View Post

However, like Mollygoat said, if you combine a cookbook w/ some of the more "exotic" ingredients (my mother things basil is exotic), it will make it easier for her to cook.

This is, quite possibly, the best idea ever. Load up a basket with the cookbook, sundried tomatoes, kalamata olives, a tube of minced basil, quinoa, couscous, capers, and any other ingredients that "stand out" in the cookbook and might be hard to find at the corner Safeway.

I don't care for the cookbook, but I know a lot of people do. I just thought a lot of recipes in it were too repetitive & were the same basic idea with slight variations (it seemed like one recipe would be "quinoa with sundried tomatoes, capers and basil" then the next page would be "couscous salad with sundried tomatoes, basil, and capers" ... but maybe I'm just imagining things)
#15 Old 12-02-2004, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

This is, quite possibly, the best idea ever. Load up a basket with the cookbook, sundried tomatoes, kalamata olives, a tube of minced basil, quinoa, couscous, capers, and any other ingredients that "stand out" in the cookbook and might be hard to find at the corner Safeway.

And a lot of people don't like to spend money on new foods. But if the food is free, then they feel free to mess up the recipes
#16 Old 12-02-2004, 10:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I think the Mediterranean Kitchen is a good choice, because, well, it's pretty looking. It's very decadent... and has high-class recipes inside. I wouldn't give your mom, say, The Farm Vegetarian Cookbook, or anything. But the Mediterranean Kitchen is very elegant.

And certainly people give presents all the time that pertain to their own interests. For instance, my collection of German Folk Tales, from some German friends. I'm into folklore, and they dig German heritage. So.
#17 Old 12-03-2004, 08:24 AM
Veggie Regular

If you do decide to give it to her, I'd suggest that you also give her something that's just for her and that you know she'll like -- it sounds a bit too much like a gift for you.
#18 Old 12-03-2004, 03:03 PM
Veggie Regular

You know your mom... is she going to be turned off by the word "vegan"? If she is, go with a different cookbook. I like the idea of also giving her a basket of the unusual ingredients.

Since you're giving it at Christmas, maybe you could make one of the dishes in the cookbook and bring it to your Christmas gathering. (Try to pick something that smells amazing and you know she'd want to try.) Then, when she opens the present, remind her of the dish you made and how yummy it was. "Mom, this is the cookbook that has that vegetable-and-refried-bean casserole" or whatever it is.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page