An evil kick. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-29-2004, 09:25 PM

I understand the sick pleasure some omnis get out of telling vegans and vegetarians that they just ate something with meat in it. It's almost like saying, "oh, how the mighty have fallen, see, you just ate meat, you're a flesh-tearing carnivore...and here you were thinking you were all special..."

has anyone noticed this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-29-2004, 09:40 PM
Banned

I've seen this happen. It's because they have subconscious insecurities about how ethically superior we are (although good luck ever getting one to admit to it).
#3 Old 11-29-2004, 09:56 PM
Veggie Regular

ha! Kurmudeon! So true. Although I live in Toronto,with very few veggies around..so when I was an omni-no one held me accountable!

So glad I went back to B.C for a visit to remind me how to live!Cant ait to move back into the land of veggie restaurants and people!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-29-2004, 09:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Bumble are you [email protected] TO has some of hte best veggie food I've ever tasted!
#5 Old 11-29-2004, 11:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I've noticed the snickering while they sneak a glance at me not eating anything rather than taking a bite of something seemingly veg*n but actually floating in carcass juice. Isn't family just the best?

Keep on freepin' on

#6 Old 11-29-2004, 11:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Sorrow the Pig - Wasn't that a book about a pig that got stuck in a sidewalk? (ok - I'm off topic again)
#7 Old 11-29-2004, 11:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Not where I am man..out in the boonies(Mississauga) all steak houses,chop houses and burger/chicken joints.It is like living in hell.

Downtown..great food..hard to get there and eat.

Just want to be B.C...you can get good food in almost every suburb.

#8 Old 11-30-2004, 09:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Mississauga certainly isn't Toronto!!! I'm a former TVA member who had an easy time being vegan when I lived there & always enjoyed TVA's MASSIVE veg*n festival in the fall. And I wouldn't set foot in Mississauga for the reasons already noted.

I too have noticed how happy meatarians are to fool us into consuming animal products. But I observe many more of them just being stupid, like thinking I can eat a spinach salad w/ cheese, egg & bacon bits because "salads are vegetarian".
#9 Old 11-30-2004, 09:21 AM
Veggie Regular

lol Kurmudeon ..

I think its really sad that someone would get a kick out of that..Thats why I ALWAYS look before I eat, even when I get a bean burrito I open it up and carefully examine it Im paranoid like that.
#10 Old 11-30-2004, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurmudgeon View Post

I've seen this happen. It's because they have subconscious insecurities about how ethically superior we are (although good luck ever getting one to admit to it).

I'm too insecure to unilaterally state that I am morally superior to omnis; thankfully, you aren't.

The Rev
#11 Old 11-30-2004, 10:39 AM
Veggie Regular

**well sophisticated** there Rev, you are saying Kurm has spoken non sophisticatedly are you? (arguably you do imply that slightly by how well you yourself speak) even sooo given that you speak on the same terms, its all good ~ Confused?? ...well, I will not hear of such a thing, (nor that Kurm is not sophisticated in saying the same as you or you the same as him)... Well ushered words Kurm! and Rev you can be as unilaterally flattering and non-eloquent as Kurm oneday.
#12 Old 11-30-2004, 11:08 AM
Veggie Regular

i think people dislike hypocrasy, but tricking someone into it is actually very false.

they want to make you out to be a hypocrit, but if you're doing something unknowingly, then you aren't one.

i pointed this out once to a "friend" who tried to do this to me. I told her that i finally became completely veg the day that i became sick from eating meat (before that i was a transitional). she took this to mean two things: 1. i'll always have that reaction to meat, something taht she wanted to prove wrong, because she assumed that i was saying that meat is unhealthy and makes people sick unless they're accustomed to it (which may or may not be true) and 2. that i was a "pure" or "more ethical" and "less hypocritical" person because i cared about animals AND didn't eat meat.

so, she wanted to "proove" to me that i "could" eat meat without getting sick AND to show me and others how hypocritical i was. She offered me a meal saying, in front of everyone at the table that it was pure vegetarian--no meat, broth, gelatin, etc. at the time, also, no dairy or eggs. I ate it and started to feel unwell, but i didn't mention anything. I said it tasted fine (it wasn't great), and continued to have a good time with the people at the dinner party.

later, she made a big announcement: i just wanted to point out that the "vegetarian" dish that i made was really made with chicken broth and butter. notice that the "vegetarian" didn't get sick, and she's a hypocrit too, because she ate "meat" anyway.

I then responded. Since you are the hostess, i didn't want to mention that i wasn't feeling well after we ate. It could be the chicken broth and butter that did it, or it may be that i'm just not feeling well. I can now assume that it's likely the broth and butter, since i ate it trusting what you said. Second, i am not a hypocrit because a hypocrit is a person who says one thing but does another. If you had said "this has chicken broth and butter" and i ate it, i would be a hypocrit. But, since you told me it was vegetarian and i trusted you, i am not a hypocrit. If anything, you are a cruel person to trick a "friend" into eating something that could be potentially harmful for her physically and if nothing else upsetting emotionally because of my values and the way that i choose to live. Your disrespect is appauling. If anything, you are the hypocrit, for saying one thing to me (this is vegetarian) and yet doing another (it wasn't, and she tried to trick me).

to say the least, she was shocked.
#13 Old 11-30-2004, 11:47 AM

Just as the Rev says, I would be hesitant to say that I am morally superior to an omni, but there are a bunch of crazily insecure people out there that truly do get an immense kick out of trying to catch or "fool" us vegan-types. It is sad.
#14 Old 12-02-2004, 12:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by V422005 View Post

I understand the sick pleasure some omnis get out of telling vegans and vegetarians that they just ate something with meat in it. It's almost like saying, "oh, how the mighty have fallen, see, you just ate meat, you're a flesh-tearing carnivore...and here you were thinking you were all special..."

has anyone noticed this?

Yet if you ask if something has meat in it you are "flaunting" your vegetarianism and being anti-social and superior. Its a no-win situation, hehe.

Though I've never had an omnivore get kicks out of telling me I've just accidently eaten meat before.
#15 Old 12-02-2004, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post

i think people dislike hypocrasy, but tricking someone into it is actually very false.

I agree. Tricking someone is just not right at all.
#16 Old 12-02-2004, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V422005 View Post

has anyone noticed this?

Of course, maybe they're just laughing b/c you made a mistake and are not expecting you to take it so personally. Everyone makes mistakes and everyone gets laughed at for at least some of their mistakes.
#17 Old 12-02-2004, 01:05 AM
Veggie Regular

I just lived this nightmare. My sister's face when she saw me hurling all evening long was a pretty good payback 'cause she had to put my 3 year old to bed, having incapacitated me with sausage stuffing she had (oops) stuck in my "vegetarian" sandwich.

Oh just remembering how much I puked is making my eyes water.

So her evil was repaid with an upset 3 year old asking "what's wrong with mommy?"

*sigh*
#18 Old 12-02-2004, 02:01 AM

That's not cool.
#19 Old 12-02-2004, 08:18 AM
Veggie Regular

That's horrible.

Now I must ask, have you, as a veg*n, ever tricked someone into eating something veg*n to prove to them that non-animal food is tasty?

Is this just as morally wrong?
#20 Old 12-02-2004, 10:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by organica View Post

That's horrible.

Now I must ask, have you, as a veg*n, ever tricked someone into eating something veg*n to prove to them that non-animal food is tasty?

Is this just as morally wrong?

Hmmm... I don't think its the same thing...not eating meat isn't morally wrong for anyone. Plus the fact that if the omni is eating something I cooked, of COURSE it won't have meat :-)
#21 Old 12-02-2004, 10:57 AM
Veggie Regular

I have tricked my step father into eating a tofu chocolate pie, but I never told him there was tofu in it. I didn't do it to laugh and say "haha you're eating tofu" I did it to see if the recipe was ready to go to a recipe contest I got a $500 scholarship for. I agree that its not morally wrong to feed someone vegan food unless they have an allergy, or they're morally opposed to eating plants.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page