Why do vegans say "vegan" food? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-23-2004, 08:29 PM
Banned

I do it, too, on occasion, but normally if I say a food, I'm talking the vegan kind, but if I say "cow-cheese pizza," I'm talking about the lacto-ovo/omnivore kind. If I just say "pizza," and it's one that I ate, I'm talking vegan stuff.

So why do we add this adjective even if it's obvious that we are vegans and eat no animal products?

Sometimes people only put it in front of certain things, like they list what they ate and only one item, such as chocolate, will have "vegan" in front of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-23-2004, 08:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I only do it when it's something special, like, "vegan cheese calzone." If I have a pizza, which is pretty run of the mill, I'll say "pizza."

And I only do it on these boards, just to brag I guess... "Ha ha, I got awesome vegan food."
#3 Old 11-23-2004, 08:34 PM
Veggie Regular

i'm likely to do it if it's something that normally has animal products as major ingredients. stuff like cheesecake, "ice cream" (though i'm more likely to say the brand or say "soy ice cream"), doughnuts, pizza or anything with a lot of cheese.

and i don't expect people here to know whether i'm vegan or not, so i specify.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-23-2004, 08:40 PM
Banned

I don't do it when talking with other vegans. It's nice to say "cheese" or "pizza" or "burger" and have the other person know you don't mean omni food.
#5 Old 11-23-2004, 08:42 PM
Veggie Regular

hmm. i'd never really thought about it. when my husband and i talk about food, we just say "lets make food" or "lets get some food" or "pass me that food" and "stop eating all my food!"

but then sometimes i'll say "cheese pizza" or something more specific if necessary. i think i don't say the words vegetarian and vegan very often--though i do here to delineate the differences to help other (eg, here's my typical daily menu--vegan, though i'm lacto-ovo). i think it's more important here because there are different types of vegetarians and people want to read quick-like, i think.

i wonder when or how i use vegan in coversation. i'll try to be conscious of it and see.
#6 Old 11-23-2004, 08:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Because when I say "I ate pizza," the invariable reply is "I thought you couldn't eat pizza."

(Or chocolate, or anything else that I eat a vegan version of.)

It's just easier to put "vegan" in front of it and spare myself those comments. (Unless I'm talking to another veg*n.)

We see the world as "we" are, not as "it" is; because it is the "I" behind the "eye" that does the seeing.
#7 Old 11-23-2004, 08:52 PM
Veggie Regular

I do that here, but not in real life. When I write food logs I just try to be specific so people know what I'm talking about. (That's the only context I can think of where I've seen this.)
#8 Old 11-23-2004, 10:59 PM

I dont do it here that often, but I will mention that in real life. When I dont, people look at me and say."oh, I thought you were a vegan...."
#9 Old 11-23-2004, 11:46 PM
Veggie Regular

if im talking to my mom (or anyother omnivore) about what food i like or what im hungry for ill say "vegan ice cream" "Vegan pizza" "Vegetarian meat"

but if i talk to other vegans i say

"ice cream" "pizza" "boca burger"

I think i say "Vegan" to the omnis cause i dont want anyone thinking i eat meat.I dont need to say "Vegan" to the vegans cause they already know that..if that even makes any sence

#10 Old 11-24-2004, 12:48 AM

I find it confusing when you go on www.vegweb.com and look up recipes... Virtually anything containing bread, despite the fact that there is the line "Use vegan versions" before it, specifies vegan bread.

Sometimes, I've even seen references to "vegan bread machines" and "vegan bread pans". Even in the comments, comments are made like "This is such an excellent vegan bread" etc; etc;

The same for sugar. I would think if someone cares enough about the bonechar in the sugar they would be using a vegan sugar in the first place.
#11 Old 11-24-2004, 12:52 AM
Veggie Regular

I do it. I guess its just to announce that I am still a vegan, and I didn't change.
#12 Old 11-24-2004, 07:40 AM
Veggie Regular

I have to because my friends are morons. My friend Chris saw me eat a veggie burger and decided that it was a real burger and told all my friends that I was just pretending to be a vegan. I was then shocked when my friends tried to get me to eat meat/dairy/eggs. If I don't say "vegan <insert food item here>" then people go "I knew it! You were faking!" even though people who have lived with me for months have never seen me eat any animal products of any kind.
#13 Old 11-24-2004, 07:50 AM
Veggie Regular

I do it if it's something that sounds omni otherwise. You're right, it's really redundant around here, but it feels funny otherwise.
#14 Old 11-24-2004, 07:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceryna View Post

Because when I say "I ate pizza," the invariable reply is "I thought you couldn't eat pizza."

It's just easier to put "vegan" in front of it and spare myself those comments. (Unless I'm talking to another veg*n.)

Also here we have a large population of lacto/ovos - so I specify. And even on places where its just vegan, I've gotten questions, so I almost always use the preface.
#15 Old 11-24-2004, 08:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Usually, I'll say the brand like "I'm drinking silk or Silk Nog" and such, or veggieburger or tofu dog. If its chocolate, I just say dark chocolate or chocolate, most people can figure it out anyways.
#16 Old 11-24-2004, 09:22 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceryna View Post

Exactly. People at work will ask me all kinds of weird stuff like can you eat bread, what about pasta? I have to clarify because sometimes I feel like they're ready to catch me eating something NOT vegan. It's kind of funny.
#17 Old 11-24-2004, 10:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebelovedtree View Post

. If I don't say "vegan <insert food item here>" then people go "I knew it! You were faking!" .

Geeze... theres a World of vegan food out there people dont know about..Like when i was watching TV this omnivore was saying how vegans cant eat carrot cake but we can! we can eat anything they can eat but in substitiute.
#18 Old 11-24-2004, 11:37 AM
Veggie Regular

I say it because otherwise my coworkers think I'm "cheating." You know, like when I mention that I had a burger for dinner the night before and everyone suddenly pop their heads up over the cubicles and say, "But I thought you didn't eat meat? When did you stop the vegetarian thing?" Soooo much easier to just say "veggie-burger" in the 1st place.
#19 Old 11-24-2004, 06:36 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

I only say "vegan food" if the person doesn't know I don't eat cow cheese or the like. If I tell most of my friends or family "I just drank a litre of chocolate milk!" they usually know I mean soy milk. Conversely, if I go to a friends house, they offer me "tea with milk" meaning soy milk.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#20 Old 11-25-2004, 06:40 AM
Veggie Regular

hmmmm i never do it
#21 Old 11-25-2004, 04:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Depends on who I'm around at the time.

My vegan mates know I mean vegan versions of whatever I'm talking about.

The omni idiots, I have say the word "vegan" at every other syllable so they don't forget I'm talking about vegan versions of stuff.

But here, I say "vegan" cause not everyone is and I want to make sure it's clear what I'm talking about.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page