Fried Chicken... No thank you - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-08-2003, 12:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Today in one of my classes we were having presentations and a lot of people brought in foods that had to do with the book, "The Bluest Eye." So there I was going up to get some cornbread, collard greens, sweet potatoes, and peach cobbler when PLOP. There is a piece of fried chicken on my plate. I looked at it a second and said, "No thank you I'm a vegetarian." The guy apologized, took the chicken back, and it was all okay except for the gross chicken fat on my plate... And then someone looks at me and says, "No you're not!" as if I would lie about being a vegetarian. Why would I do that??? I said I really was and he asked me if I would die if I ate meat. (He meant this literally, like if I had some sort of allergy or something.) I told him no... So he's like, "You do that by CHOICE!!! Man, I give you props, I could never do that!" It was as if he had never met a vegetarian before... maybe he hadn't.

Sorry, this was a bit of a rant. Also kind of a funny situation except for my yucky plate which I had to place the other food around the chicken spot as not to mix them. Yech.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-08-2003, 12:13 PM
Veggie Regular

That's really random that he would say that. Maybe it has to do with him knowing someone else who said that but wasn't. Or maybe you look so "normal" that he figured you ate meat.
#3 Old 05-08-2003, 12:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Couldn't you get another plate ?

Sounds like an annoying event .. sigh,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-08-2003, 12:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I didn't get another plate cuz my old one was already filled with all my food and I didn't want to move it all over. Class was almost finished.
#5 Old 05-08-2003, 12:44 PM
Veggie Regular

wow - yucko! they could have asked you first if you wanted chicken ...

it reminds me of last year on World Farm Animals Day in cambridge and this old man came up the table and said "you're not vegetarian" stating that there was no way i could be one and he told me to prove it! hahahahaha that was funny .....

a friend told him to check her feces! lol
#6 Old 05-08-2003, 10:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I always surprise people when they find out I'm vegetarian. They never suspect it, because they always expect vegetarians to be freaks. They'd be surprised at the number of "normal" people they know but don't realize they're veg*n. Man, it sounds just like my gay friends used to talk before they came out. LOL.
#7 Old 05-09-2003, 09:29 AM
Veggie Regular

On another note, The Bluest Eye is a wonderful book! Did your class have a good discussion despite the fried chicken mix up?
#8 Old 05-09-2003, 09:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Well, everyone in the class is reading something different- we chose between Angela's Ashes (That's what I am reading.), The Bluest Eye, The Color of Water, The Teaching (or learning or something...) of Little Tree, ummm... that one about the four chinese women in america and their daughters.... anyway, there were seven choices. So I really don't know much about The Bluest Eye.
#9 Old 05-09-2003, 09:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh, I'm sorry, I thought the point of the exercise was to learn about each book through the traditional/cultural cuisines of the characters.
#10 Old 05-09-2003, 09:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Well... yeah... but the class goes about as in depth as kindergarten and the people in it could BE in kindergarten so I don't learn much unless I do it on my own. One more week left... Then NO MORE HIGH SCHOOL ever again!!!
#11 Old 05-09-2003, 09:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by strawberry

... that one about the four chinese women in america and their daughters....

The Joy Luck Club? Haven't read the book but Loooove the movie.
#12 Old 05-09-2003, 10:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Thalia

The Joy Luck Club? Haven't read the book but Loooove the movie.

Yeah that's it!
#13 Old 05-09-2003, 10:02 AM
Veggie Regular

I have not read it either but I may just have to rent it.
#14 Old 05-09-2003, 07:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Hmmm, this is similar to what happened to me last night. At a friend's for a "Japanese feast". She assured me that she had bought extra tofu so I would have enough to eat (I didn't even ask for this). Anyway, we're all banned from the kitchen, so we're sitting chatting and the first lot of food comes out. Beauty. Tofu, noodles, veges. Load up, start eating. Friend calls me into kitchen, asks if I want more tofu. Notice that she's not just cooking the tofu in the same pan as the meat (which honestly wouldn't have really bothered me), but that it's drowning in meat juices (which DID bother me, as the tofu was sucking up all the juices!)... not wanting to make a scene I just ate the damn stuff but really, I mean she even said "I wasn't sure if you'd have a problem with this" and of course I wasn't going to make a scene but if she wasn't sure why didn't she check beforehand? I also found a bit of meat in the noodle dish... ARGH! Kudos to her for trying but I felt quite nauseous later on that night... I don't know if it was psychological or not but the taste was pretty eck. So next time I think I might bring something even if she tells me not to...
#15 Old 05-09-2003, 09:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Shewolf,

In that case, I might have feigned sickness. Or perhaps I would have gone to the bathroom, called a friend on a cellphone, asked them to call me back in two minutes (once I'd returned to the other people), I'd act like the call was a friend of mine in serious trouble, and I'd have to leave right away.

Ok. I wouldn't have lied to her. However, I almost always do have at least some other piece of food with me, be it an apple or a Luna bar or soy nuts. I'll have something, even if the other food is meatified. The sickness excuse, though, would work for me because the idea of me consuming meat makes me positively vomitous.

I'm sorry you went through that! Do you have a plan in place for the next time something like that happens?

ETA: I should have clarified: Do you have a plan for what to say the next time something like that happens? Bringing a dish of food to share is a great idea, but it doesn't often excuse you from the perceived "responsibility" of trying everything else.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#16 Old 05-09-2003, 10:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Skylark, I couldn't do that because I was with my fiance and can't drive... it would've been really awkward! It was more a catch-up session than anything else but... and I'm a bad liar too! LOL

I was told NOT to bring food. She gets a little touchy about things like that... almost like she feels as though I'm implying she isn't a good enough cook or something! But next time I will say to her that I'm going to anyway just in case. I will also probably have a chat with her in the near future about it just to let her know that it was kinda gross for me and that I only ate it to not hurt her feelings and cause a scene(*sigh*) and that if it's all too much trouble next time then I WILL help her out (so she doesn't do the martyr thing on me). We do have good communication usually, which was why I was surprised she did that... so yes, I do, I'll have a chat to her about it before it can happen again! I'll also have to talk to my other friend who was there because she may now think it's okay for me to eat meat infested tofu too... ugh!

Thanks for understanding! I just couldn't get over the awful aftertaste!
#17 Old 05-09-2003, 10:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Ew. You have my sympathies about the chicken grease.

It was like that on camp...I'm walking along the line getting lettuce and tomato and beetroot to go with my vegie burger and two of the camp counsellors start lunging towards me with beef patties and cheese. *Quick step backwards* lol
#18 Old 05-10-2003, 06:04 PM
Veggie Regular

I work at a summer camp. Well, I am working at a different one this year, but long story...

Luckily though they are very conscious of different eating habits. I personally have not had a vegetarian summer yet as I've only been veggie for 4 months. All of the kids are asked before food is placed on their plate, "Would you like some of this?" and there is always a vegetarian option, PB&J, and a salad bar for those who choose not to eat whatever it is that's served. Hopefully at my new camp that will be the case but I think it will be since they are both Girl Scout camps and GS camps run similarly most of the time.
#19 Old 05-13-2003, 06:11 PM

My situation is a little different. I have been occasionally offered noodles that have animal seasoning. Since there are no chunks of meat in the noodles, they think that there is absolutely no meat products inside the noodles.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page