Living Among Meat Eaters - VeggieBoards
View Poll Results: Have you read Living Among Meat Eaters?
Yes, I have read it 0 0%
No, I have not 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-04-2004, 05:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I just started re-reading Carol Adam's book, Living Among Meat Eaters, and found myself wondering how many of us have read it.

Who has read this book?

A review
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-04-2004, 06:00 PM
Veggie Regular

One issue that I have noticed people bringing up about this book is Adams' view that meat-eaters are blocked vegetarians. In my re-reading, I have noticed something that more or less escaped me the first time around. She does talk about this a lot. However, she does not insist that it is true; what she does is talk about how viewing meat eaters as blocked vegetarians changes our interactions with them in dramatic and informative ways. I find taking this view to be helpful, myself -- even though I don't literally believe it in all cases.
#3 Old 11-04-2004, 06:02 PM

I read it when I first went veggie. It's very very enlightening and helped me to understand the emotions that were directed toward me because of my decison.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-04-2004, 06:07 PM
Joe
Veggie Regular

I've read it and recommended it and it is sitting on my top bookshelf right now.

A good deal of it is based on The Gentle Art of Verbal Self-Defense, and I guess I feel I need to read that one to understand the underlying principles that Adams uses.
#5 Old 11-04-2004, 06:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I havn't read it but I would really like to! I just have to find it.

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#6 Old 11-04-2004, 06:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm reading it now. I think the blocked vegetarian thing is hooey, but it's a helpful book if you put that aside.
#7 Old 11-04-2004, 07:28 PM
Veggie Regular

That looks quite good. I'll have to look for it the next time I'm at a locally owned bookstore. I like this part:
Quote:
She considers those meat eaters who are the most defensive and confrontational about our meatless diets as being 'blocked vegetarians.' They respond with the most energy and show the most interest, so they may be the most likely converts.

#8 Old 11-04-2004, 07:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I was a blocked vegetarian, and a jerk about it.
#9 Old 11-04-2004, 08:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't think every meat eater is a blocked vegetarian. But I think I was, for a long time.

Adams doesn't insist on the literal truth, either. It is a way to mentally/emotionally handle the confrontations and conflicts that often result when meat-eaters and veg*ns interact. For instance, say your omni brother keeps teasing you by waving forkfuls of meat in your face. Instead of regarding him as just an @sshole, you see him as someone who is threatened by your choice. Why is he threatened? As you explore the possibilities, you might have more compassion toward him, which in turn affects your interactions positively rather than negatively.

I'm probably explaining it awkwardly. But that is one example.
#10 Old 11-05-2004, 12:20 AM
Veggie Regular

I know I was a blocked vegetarian and I knew it for a very long time before I met my current SO who helped me the last way over the wall to eating consciously. My best friend is currently the most disturbed about my diet changes. She's having a very hard time accepting it. I am answering her questions with what has to be infinite patience for me. My body is changing and I though I have some health problems now, I am looking better than ever and I feel just fine. She cannot handle it. I may have to get this book. I may need some help. We were in a store the other day and the clerk pointed out that the products are cruelty-free. My friend went ape. "Deb's all about that stuff! Aren't you Deb?! Obsessed with animal cruelty!!!" I have never once discussed my views with her on the subject.

Molto embarrasso.

Oh well.

d
#11 Old 11-05-2004, 10:12 AM
Veggie Regular

That sounds uncomfortable, A.Veg. I think this book would help you. Try your library -- that's where I borrowed the copy I'm reading. A lot of libraries will buy books if you put in a request, too.
#12 Old 11-06-2004, 02:27 AM
Veggie Regular

i cant wait till im 18,move out of my parents house and live by myself.

Oh and with my cats too
#13 Old 11-06-2004, 09:29 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm not sure if all omnivores are blocked vegetarians, but thinking about them that way helps me be more patient, and helps me understand some of their defensive behavior.
#14 Old 11-06-2004, 09:41 AM
Veggie Regular

"Blocked vegetarians"? I'd be crucified if I suggested that one to the big meat eaters on the board I have just quit.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page