If I go to GREECE, I don't want to STARVE - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-01-2004, 10:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Help me out kids. I'm planning a study abroad trip in Greece for the summer. I'll visit Athens, Crete, and some other places.

Any pointers? (I'm vegan.) Anyone been there? Good recommendations? How do I say "no cheese" in Greek?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-01-2004, 10:47 PM
Veggie Regular

http://www.rhizomatics.co.uk/gvn/greekvegan.html
#3 Old 11-02-2004, 04:49 AM
Veggie Regular

When I was a (non-vegetarian, but incredibly picky) kid on vacation in greece, I lived on fruits, vegetables, bread, and Sprite. All of those things are present in abundance. Not the MOST balanced diet, but it's definitely do-able. And since you're not a kid, replace the Sprite with beer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-02-2004, 07:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Love ya, Molly.

I'll go check out that site. Thanks!
#5 Old 11-02-2004, 07:31 AM
Veggie Regular

falafel, hummus, veggies, bread and olive oil, saffron rice, tabouli....you'll have lots of choices! My friend's MIL lives in Cyprus and visits often. She said there is tons of veg*n friendly food.
#6 Old 11-02-2004, 06:51 PM
Veggie Regular

I've read that hummus is pretty rare where I'm headed... And falafel is homemade and 50/50 chance includes cheese. Tabbouli is more of a Middle Eastern thing, than a Greek Isles thing. And I doubt I'll find much saffron rice.

I do expect to live off of bread, dolmas, and stuffed tomatoes. And whatever else I cook/buy at not a restaurant.
#7 Old 11-02-2004, 06:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes. It will be good. I'm planning on going to Europe next summer, and I'm excited for Italy and Greece, solely because of the produce.

Falafel, hummus, all our vegan staples--you will find those in the middle east way more than in the mediterranean.
#8 Old 11-02-2004, 06:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharityAJO View Post

I've read that hummus is pretty rare where I'm headed... And falafel is homemade and 50/50 chance includes cheese. Tabbouli is more of a Middle Eastern thing, than a Greek Isles thing. And I doubt I'll find much saffron rice.

I do expect to live off of bread, dolmas, and stuffed tomatoes. And whatever else I cook/buy at not a restaurant.

They put cheese *in* the falafel? Maybe you can bring some of the Fantastic falafel mix with you to make your own. I'm sure you will find food to eat. You might have to do alot of your own cooking. Good Luck!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page