Vegan Dishes for Class Assignment! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-31-2004, 06:12 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm taking AP Environmental Science, and I've been able to convince my teacher, who I believe is an omni, that veganism and Environmental Science are linked. So, she's decided for a Thanksgiving-time assignment, to have us make and bring in a vegan dish! Easy assignment for me. Well, I have to look through my recipes and see what can be transported and stored for a few hours without refrigeration and be served easily... Any suggestions for that? Most of my recipes are meant to be served hot, and I'm not sure if we'll have a microwave to use. (Well, we could turn on the gas and heat it with bunsen burners, but... )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-31-2004, 06:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Here's a couple of ideas:

-vegan pumpkin pie (I don't have a recipe, but I'm sure someone around does.)

-roasted asparagus, it's good cold. Trim asparagus, drizzle with olive oil, lemon juice, and sea salt. Roast at around 450 until done. Can be served hot or cold.
#3 Old 10-31-2004, 12:47 PM

fresh cranberry sauce is good at any temperature. i think the recipe is 1 c. water and 1 c. sugar heated in a saucepan until simmering, then add 1 package of fresh cranberries (about 3 c.) and cook for 10 minutes over medium low heat, stirring occasionally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-31-2004, 01:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow, awesome teacher!

I'd definitely bring in a dessert, because if anyone else brings something in it'll be a can of corn, or something else really easy. You need to convince people that vegan food doesn't have to be healthy (as awful as that sounds. )

Pumpkin pie would be good...
#5 Old 10-31-2004, 07:50 PM

How about a good meat substitute to show any other omni's that it's just not salads and cooked veggie dishes.. so many good veg burgers, soy dogs, or vegan lasagna..(yum).. it will show others that our food looks and tastes similar (better) than what they may be eating! Good luck!
#6 Old 10-31-2004, 10:22 PM
Veggie Regular

For my birthday a couple of my friends at school went vegan for the day, so I brought in vegan hot dogs, cole slaw, baked beans, chili and cupcakes and had a mini hotdog bar during lunch. You could do all that with a microwave, and it could all be brought in a cooler. I'm sure if your teacher is having a food assignment they'll hook you up with a microwave, whats the fun in eating cold yucky food? If she doesn't you could always just stick with cupcakes, the chocolate cake on kreeli's website is what I did, and they turned out INCREDIBLE!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page