Annoyed rant - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-26-2004, 11:15 AM
Banned

We live at the corner of No and Where in a tiny rural area with lots of free range cattle. DH, who "loves animals", will often stop as we're driving and (I am not making this up) say hi to the cows ("Hi, sweetie, you are so cute....").

Fine enough, but then (surely you see this coming) he'll grab a hamburger for lunch.

This really weirds me out. How can you coo lovingly at cows and then five minutes later EAT them? I can see if you don't care about cows, or if you think "they're stupid and deserve to be eaten" (yeah, I've heard people say this), but when you talk about how cute they are, how sweet, how gentle, oh-isn't-that-one-beautiful .... WTF??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-26-2004, 11:23 AM
Veggie Regular

I completely know how you feel!!!!

My omni bf is the same way! We give voices to our cats. We give voices to cows and sheep. We make up elaborate stories about how cows are plotting to take over...then he grills a burger for dinner. *sigh*
#3 Old 10-26-2004, 11:44 AM
Veggie Regular

I used to be one of those people who gushed over cute cows, and then would eat one. As sad as it sounds, it was completely mindless and deprogrammed in my head. I never even cared for the taste... it was just something I did because I always had and never put two and two together (although I did put two and two together regarding pork and pigs because my grandfather had a pig farm).

Anyway, here I am, a vegan now for over 2.5 years. People's minds and hearts are capable of opening up It's only a matter of time (and a gentle nudge) for some...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-26-2004, 12:43 PM
Veggie Regular

People have selective thoughts when eating, and can completely squash out the "where it comes from" thought process....T.
#5 Old 10-27-2004, 04:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Lucky for him, the animals are slaughtered and packaged by otehr people, so he doesn't have to thin kabout where that hamburger came from.
#6 Old 10-27-2004, 11:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyK View Post

I used to be one of those people who gushed over cute cows, and then would eat one. As sad as it sounds, it was completely mindless and deprogrammed in my head.

That's exactly it. We were all programmed to not have a connection between the animal and the saran wrapped hunk of meat at the store. "As long as it doesn't look like the animal, I can eat it" I've heard people say. Which means they wouldn't eat meat if it looked like the animal. Such a double standard.

Next time he stops to pet a cow, say, "Looks good enough to eat" See what he says.
#7 Old 10-27-2004, 05:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post

...Next time he stops to pet a cow, say, "Looks good enough to eat" See what he says.

Oooh, that's a *good* one!!
#8 Old 10-27-2004, 06:39 PM

Cognitive Dissonance.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page