I'm finally ready to commit! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-25-2004, 06:37 PM
Beginner

I've been intrigued about vegetarianism for a couple of years now - have tried it a few times but due to no support from family have given it up (and I'm an adult too...it's stupid of me!).

I'm in Maine. This election year we are voting to ban bear trapping (when hunters feed bears during the off season then trap and shoot them at the same location during hunting season). Most people are for the ban and I'm sure it will pass. Tonight I was watching TV (a rare thing...I normally don't watch TV) and saw the pro-ban ad. There were 2 bears in it. The first was a film of a bear that was trapped with food, then literally trapped in a metal bear trap (around his foot) - he was screaming in agony. The second was a film of a bear that was trapped then shot point blank range. Both films were extremely graphic and REAL and brought me to absolute tears.

It made me realize how important animals are to me. I can't sob for one on tv and eat another one for dinner.

I've been talking about going vegan on January 1 (a good start to the new year!), so I am starting vegetarian right this second and I'm planning on cutting all animal products by January 1 and be a vegan then.

Any advice or encouragement would be very much appreciated!!

Thanks!

Zeb.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-25-2004, 06:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebulun View Post

... I can't sob for one on tv and eat another one for dinner....

Well said.
#3 Old 10-25-2004, 07:33 PM
Heart Beet

well, you came to the right place... for support and examination...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-25-2004, 07:37 PM

That's great!
#5 Old 10-25-2004, 07:39 PM

Congrats on a wonderful, healthful choice! Welcome aboard!
#6 Old 10-25-2004, 07:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I know how it is, sometimes it can be extremely difficut to be vegan since the rest of the people I live with, especially my brother, are omnivores and buy a lot of meat, even after I explained to them the horrible stuff animals undeservingly go through. My brother is evil too (and not exactly intelligent) and keeps trying to make up excuses/reasons to eat meat. But I strive for justice and it helps to know that what's happening to all these animals are NOT fair, and that's what makes me refrain from eating any animal products, also, putting myself in their place. Very glad to hear about your decision to make it a goal to not contribute to the evil, good luck
#7 Old 10-25-2004, 08:00 PM
Beginner

Thank you so much everyone! I know I made the right choice, and I also can tell I will get support (and the occassional kick in the butt!) here!!!
#8 Old 10-25-2004, 08:28 PM
Beginner

I'm a new vegetarian too. We can hold each other accountable =)

I understand about the family thing, though. I tried vegetarianism when I was a teen, but it was really hard without support (and lack of driver's license). This place is awesome for support though. I know it's made it way easier for me, and keeps me motivated about it.
#9 Old 10-25-2004, 10:39 PM
Administrator

I don't really have anything to add other than I wish you luck.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#10 Old 10-26-2004, 12:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Yay!!!! The bears and other creatures appreciate it
#11 Old 10-26-2004, 12:56 AM
Veggie Regular

awsome!

whenever you feel your ready you should check this out

www.meetyourmeat.com
#12 Old 10-26-2004, 04:24 AM
Veggie Regular

alec baldwin, yeah voice of compassion

"I am thinking to myself, in other countries they are laughing at us 24 hours a day and Im thinking to myself, if we were in other countries, we would all right now, all of us together, [starts to shout] all of us together would go down to Washington and we would stone Henry Hyde to death! We would stone him to death! [crowd cheers] Wait! Shut up! Shut up! No shut up! Im not finished. We would stone Henry Hyde to death and we would go to their homes and wed kill their wives and their children. We would kill their families. [stands up, yelling] What is happening in this country? What is happening? UGHHH!" -baldwin on conan show

* This post may contain pork, beef and fingers of undocumented workers. This post was manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts.
#13 Old 10-26-2004, 07:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Congrats on making the decision, Zebulun! I hope it turns out to be easy for you...
#14 Old 10-26-2004, 07:44 AM
Veggie Regular

#15 Old 10-26-2004, 09:13 AM

well done. i don't particularly want to see any graphic stuff though. but it's probably valuable for many.

i'm not sure if i am veg yet. fact is i haven't had any chicken for 3 weeks, and while i have some tinned tuna in the cupboard, it just seems like my philosophy is firm now and i don't think i could eat meat again. veganism, well that's not on my agenda as yet, but i have cut out milk, and i have never been big on eggs or cheese anyway.

all i need to do now is educate myself on what my food choices are. there's a whole world of food out there that i'm not overly familiar with.
#16 Old 10-26-2004, 10:03 AM
Veggie Regular

hey zeb!

sometimes, it takes a bit to make the connection, and then a bit more to transition into vegetarianism. Sometimes, people can go overnite into veganism, and others take a while to get there or never get there. And that's ok too.

in the beginning, do your best to find recipes that you like and incorporate a lot of variety. for the time being, you can use some substitutes, but try to move into more whole foods--it'll make you a healthier vegetarian. I highly recommend the sites that beforewisdom (steve) posted, as that will give you a good back ground in nutrition. I also like vegan outreach because they're great at defining a lot of the ethics in clear ways--that way you don't always ahve to describe it yourself. My husband is whole-foods omnivore, and he hands out vegan outreach materials--they are that good.

Anyway, you'll be fine. Remember that it's a process both physically (changing diet) and emotionally (changing mind). So, it takes time. If you "slip up" or "revert" or whatever, don't worry about it, you're still trying hard. No need to beat yourself up, as every little bit helps.

welcome to the boards and all that too!
#17 Old 10-26-2004, 12:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
have tried it a few times but due to no support from family have given it up

that is tough, do you cook? cooking can be a good way of converting other people too. i didn't eat very well until i had my own fridge and learned to cook.

* This post may contain pork, beef and fingers of undocumented workers. This post was manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts.
#18 Old 10-26-2004, 04:12 PM
Beginner

Hey-another Mainer! Welcome
#19 Old 10-27-2004, 10:49 AM
Beginner

Thank you everyone for your kind words and encouragement! This will be an easier journey with great folks like you to help guide me!!!
#20 Old 10-27-2004, 11:00 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm sad about the bears. We're all connected in this world and shouldn't be doing that to each other. I'm glad the bear hunting ban will pass.

I have a friend that quit meat 2 weeks ago. She's doing pretty well. I gave her a great cookbook to borrow, and I think that's helping.

For me, it's mostly about having food that tastes good. I find myself craving meat when I'm eating bland boring food, but when I really spice up what I'm eating, I don't miss it at all. That may not make much sense, but I want my food to be good. After spending an hour making dinner, if it's not good, it's so disappointing.
#21 Old 11-02-2004, 05:36 PM

Yay! That's awesome
#22 Old 11-04-2004, 01:52 AM
Veggie Regular

AWSOME

im so proud of you!

#23 Old 11-04-2004, 03:59 AM

I would like to add my congratulations as well. Remember you are not alone! There are an estimated 6-8 million vegetarians in the US, millions more allover the world. If you need any help going vegan, just watch some video of dairy factories, though they are very upsetting.

My advice is to educate yourself on all aspects of animal rights, because people will feel defensive around you. You'll need friendly knowledge to help others understand, and you will make a difference.

Be proud of yourself, and never apologize for doing what you know is right!
#24 Old 11-05-2004, 08:22 AM
Beginner

Thank you SO much everyone! I can't even believe the encouragement on these boards!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page