I'm probably starting trouble... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 10-22-2004, 09:30 AM
Veggie Regular
 
CharityAJO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,606
For those of you who have mentioned in threads such as "can't/don't" that you wish to avoid telling people you're veg -



WHY??!!! ? ? ?



I do not understand. What's the point of being vegetarian if not to show others that suffering is wrong?



(Ok, if you're veg for health/other reasons I understand, but, for you animal rights/welfare people....)





WHAT? WHAT? It doesn't make sense to me to be a closet vegetarian. It seems useless and counterproductive to view compassion as something to be ashamed of.
CharityAJO is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 10-22-2004, 09:35 AM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
I'm a closet flexatarian because people make fun of me here



Seriously though, some people don't want to be vegetarian evangelists. They want to live their own lives and could not care less what others are doing.
GhostUser is offline  
#3 Old 10-22-2004, 09:41 AM
Veggie Regular
 
borealis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 4,557
Must be a walk-in closet with no door.





For me, it's a matter of when it's appropriate to bring it up. When it's relevant, I do. But I don't go around telling everyone I meet.
borealis is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 10-22-2004, 09:42 AM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
Again, flextarian comment a joke. Hence the
GhostUser is offline  
#5 Old 10-22-2004, 09:44 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Christy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 6,414
I don't want to judge or preach to anyone. If it comes up, I'll talk about it. As long as I can eat what I want to eat, and you eat what you want to eat. Otherwise, shut the hell up about it.
Christy is offline  
#6 Old 10-22-2004, 09:46 AM
Newbie
 
botulismo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 13
I think, to be honest, a lot of people who receive the evangelizing perceive it as someone looking down on them for eating meat. I know in the past, I did. I am a vegetarian in spite of those people, not because!



I think in order to appeal to the most people you would really honestly have to appeal to the fact that most people are inherently selfish; a "So what if animals are suffering, what can it do for me?" kind of thing.
botulismo is offline  
#7 Old 10-22-2004, 09:56 AM
 
Gracie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,759
I don't talk about it during meals, so I don't bring it up then either. For me, eating with people should be a pleasant experience of friendship & community, not a parsing of what veg*ns eat or don't eat, or what omnis "could never give up."



I like it when people don't notice I'm vegetarian at first. Then after we've eaten together, preferably after I have cooked for them, I can spring the news on them, smirking to myself "ha ha, you ate veg*n food and liked it!"
Gracie is offline  
#8 Old 10-22-2004, 10:00 AM
Veggie Regular
 
borealis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 4,557
Walk-in closet comment a joke as well.
borealis is offline  
#9 Old 10-22-2004, 10:09 AM
Beginner
 
SpunkyChild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 171
I don't want my family and friends to think that I'm criticizing their eating habits. I don't want people to think I'm going to be a really big pain to feed. I don't want people to think I'm doing it just to be restrictive and lose weight.



When people ask me about my politics, they think it's "cute" and that I'll grow out of it. My old boss said: "My wife was an anarchist at your age." Basically, I don't think people will take me seriously, and it would just be all negative =(
SpunkyChild is offline  
#10 Old 10-22-2004, 10:15 AM
Veggie Regular
 
RedWingsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 468
It's not that we are ashamed of it. But I see no need to go around telling people that I am vegetarian unless they ask or there is a reason to mention it (like being invited to one's house for dinner). Just the same I would find it strange for a meatarian to walk around proclaiming that they eat meat. That's silly...



I am not out to make people become vegetarian. I understand that the vast majority of people eat meat and that will not change. I can live with that. Vegetarianism is something I choose for me, my husband chooses and we both choose for our baby.



On another note, if you walk around proclaiming vegetarianism every chance you get some people will think you are preaching to them, think you are critizing or judging them, etc. I don't want people to think that anymore than I want them to judge me for being vegetarian.
RedWingsFan is offline  
#11 Old 10-22-2004, 10:18 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Tash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by christy13 View Post

I don't want to judge or preach to anyone. If it comes up, I'll talk about it. As long as I can eat what I want to eat, and you eat what you want to eat. Otherwise, shut the hell up about it.

A big Boooo-Ya-! here.. Total agreement.. Man.....I'm developing a Christy appreciation...... Always direct and to the point........
Tash is offline  
#12 Old 10-22-2004, 10:22 AM
Veggie Regular
 
MezzoEmi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 752
I tell people when it's necessary. Why randomly be like OMG I'M A VEGETARIAN? Vegetarian doesn't define me. It's part of me, yes, but I only take the chance to share the fact in an appropriate situation (eating, dining reservations, etc) or if asked my reasons why.
MezzoEmi is offline  
#13 Old 10-22-2004, 10:50 AM
Veggie Regular
 
toadstool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by christy13 View Post

I don't want to judge or preach to anyone. If it comes up, I'll talk about it. As long as I can eat what I want to eat, and you eat what you want to eat. Otherwise, shut the hell up about it.



Yep.
toadstool is offline  
#14 Old 10-22-2004, 10:54 AM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
Most people I hang with or am related to already know so it's not a big deal. If I meet someone and it comes up I usually don't get an interrogation or anything. And upon meeting someone for the first time, I'm not like "Hi I'm Ruth, and I'm a Vegan". If they find out they find out, but I don't feel the need to advertise it. It's just a part of who I am, not the total package.
GhostUser is offline  
#15 Old 10-22-2004, 10:56 AM
Veggie Regular
 
MollyGoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,159
In certain situations, I love to talk about being a vegan and will happily discuss it. I'm really careful about how/when I do that, though, because I want it to be as effective and positive as possible. I don't specifically avoid mentioning it--i.e., if I'm going out to dinner with someone and they mention going to a steakhouse, I would have no problem saying, "Actually, I'm vegetarian"--but I don't always volunteer it in every situation.



For instance, last week I was picking up my boyfriend after a seminar at his aikido dojo. Several people were eating lasagna, and they kept offering it to us. At first we just said, "No, thanks," but after they kept insisting, we just said, "Actually, we don't eat dairy." They were sort of like, "Oh, you're THOSE kind of people." I don't think it was a bad thing, but I don't think it had any positive effect, either. Whereas in certain other situations, talking about it can have a REALLY positive effect, and get people thinking. Personally, I think of it as my job as a vegetarian/vegan to figure out the difference between these situations, and just be as positive an influence as I can be whenever it's possible to do so.
MollyGoat is offline  
#16 Old 10-22-2004, 11:17 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Cissy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 11,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by christy13 View Post

I don't want to judge or preach to anyone. If it comes up, I'll talk about it. As long as I can eat what I want to eat, and you eat what you want to eat. Otherwise, shut the hell up about it.



I think that summed it up for me as well
Cissy is offline  
#17 Old 10-22-2004, 11:46 AM
Veggie Regular
 
punkmommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by christy13 View Post

I don't want to judge or preach to anyone. If it comes up, I'll talk about it. As long as I can eat what I want to eat, and you eat what you want to eat. Otherwise, shut the hell up about it.



punkmommy is offline  
#18 Old 10-22-2004, 12:01 PM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by borealis View Post

Walk-in closet comment a joke as well.



/sigh We need a code word
GhostUser is offline  
#19 Old 10-22-2004, 12:15 PM
Veggie Regular
 
AngelOfDance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,097
people tend to assume, the second you say the word "vegetarian" that you expect them to become one as well. I've had approximately two people whom I've told I was vegetarian who haven't given me excuses as to why they aren't.



I also generally call myself vegetarian when explaining why I'm refusing something... like a ham sandwich. I only mention that I don't eat dairy or eggs if I'm offered something that contains them. It's mostly out of laziness, really. I don't want to explain myself and defend my position every single time someone offers me chocolate or suggests that I get the (insert name of nonvegan product here)
AngelOfDance is offline  
#20 Old 10-22-2004, 12:36 PM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
Sometimes I keep it to myself, sometimes I'm quite assertive about it. Depends on my mood, and sore my eyes are from previous omni encounters...







The Rev
GhostUser is offline  
#21 Old 10-22-2004, 03:00 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Sevenseas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 25,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharityAJO View Post

For those of you who have mentioned in threads such as "can't/don't" that you wish to avoid telling people you're veg -



WHY??!!! ? ? ?



I do not understand. What's the point of being vegetarian if not to show others that suffering is wrong?



(Ok, if you're veg for health/other reasons I understand, but, for you animal rights/welfare people....)





WHAT? WHAT? It doesn't make sense to me to be a closet vegetarian. It seems useless and counterproductive to view compassion as something to be ashamed of.



I guess it has to do with relativism and/or the conception of veg*nism as "extra benevolence". (Views on which I disagree.)

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

Sevenseas is offline  
#22 Old 10-22-2004, 03:14 PM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
I dont think not telling people you're veg*n is a matter of bieng ashamed. I dont know about anyone else, but for me its a matter of keeping things comfortable between everyone I hang with. If someone notices why I'm not touching the chicken pot pie at the table and asks why, I'll tell them I'm a vegan and I leave it at that. If they have questions, I'll answer. Otherwise, I keep my mouth closed. As far as telling people that animal suffering is wrong: Most people know this. (Even as an omni I knew the deal with animal suffering). To tell someone you're veg*n when asked is fine, but to then start talking about the suffering and why the person sitting at the table shouldn't eat that big slab of ham on thier plate is something I'm not gonna do. If people are really interested, they'll ask. To me, telling people stuff about veg*nism without bieng asked is like a Jehovah's witness knocking on my door and telling me I'm going to hell for shackin up with the guy across the street; it's unwanted info and its means for an ass kickin'.
GhostUser is offline  
#23 Old 10-22-2004, 03:15 PM
Banned
 
catgirl67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 3,754
Before I became a Christian, I had Christians shoving Jesus down my sinning throat. That did nothing more than piss me off. When I did become to become a Christian many years later, it was because I wanted to. Those people who shove scriptures down people's throats are annoying.



I'm not about to become one of those people with my faith or my diet choices. I'm annoying enough without any help!
catgirl67 is offline  
#24 Old 10-22-2004, 03:52 PM
Veggie Regular
 
schu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharityAJO View Post

For those of you who have mentioned in threads such as "can't/don't" that you wish to avoid telling people you're veg -



WHY??!!! ? ? ?



I do not understand. What's the point of being vegetarian if not to show others that suffering is wrong?



(Ok, if you're veg for health/other reasons I understand, but, for you animal rights/welfare people....)





WHAT? WHAT? It doesn't make sense to me to be a closet vegetarian. It seems useless and counterproductive to view compassion as something to be ashamed of.



I mainly don't talk about it that much because it makes people upset to think about, some people have thought it out, some haven't ..you just can't go around telling other people how to live or what is right and wrong...although..on that note i do think that people who support people going to jail for things such as marijuana should be put in jail themselves because its flat out wrong, i dont want to put someone in jail for eating meat, and the shouldnt put me in jail for what i smoke..its none of their damn business just like what they eat is not my damn business
schu is offline  
#25 Old 10-22-2004, 04:54 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Bunny Hugger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,506
being vegan is a HUGE part of my life and it ,makes up about 90% of me



so if someone asks me about it ill be more then happy to answer all of thier questions



But like most people said dont talk about it when the time is Not Right, it wont be as effected or respected
Bunny Hugger is offline  
#26 Old 10-22-2004, 05:23 PM
Veggie Regular
 
zoebird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 8,451
i think this is a good question.



when i was first becoming a vegetarian, i never mentioned it. In fact, i wasn't fully vegetarian anyway; i would even eat meat at someone's house to avoid confrontation about the topic. The reason was based in the fact that i wasn't ready to be harassed and answer many complex questions about my choices. My understanding before "being out" and my experience after "being out" was that people were automatically going to ask you a lot of questions such as "do you think meat eating is wrong?" and "how is it wrong when X animal does it?" I wasn't prepared for the ostracism of that process, and i didn't have answers until i was confortable with the lifestyle.



As for why i usually don't tell people now (as in, i don't advertise it, etc) is because i don't think it's necessary. Vegetarianism was a very personal choice for me, and i believe it is a very personal choice for everyone. I have no interest in preaching or coverting people to vegetarianism, so much as making them aware of various health, environmental, and animal issues. i don't couch it in vegetarianism; i just find that vegetarianism is *one* of many ways to meet these ends. I believe omnivores can do it too (reduce suffering, be compassionate, be healthier, and more environmentally friendly), so it's not necessary to bring up vegetarianism when discusing related topics.



generally, i only mention it when people ask me. Because i'm a yoga teacher, many people assume that i'm vegetarian, but they don't know what that means. Others assume that because all but 4 yoga teachers in our area are not vegetarian, that i'm one of the non-vegetarian ones, until it comes up and i tell them otherwise.
zoebird is offline  
#27 Old 10-22-2004, 05:36 PM
Baby Love
 
Jinga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Illinois
Posts: 5,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by catgirl67 View Post

Before I became a Christian, I had Christians shoving Jesus down my sinning throat. That did nothing more than piss me off. When I did become to become a Christian many years later, it was because I wanted to. Those people who shove scriptures down people's throats are annoying.



I'm not about to become one of those people with my faith or my diet choices. I'm annoying enough without any help!



I feel the same way...even the me being annoying part I hate it when people try to force their beliefs on me. When the right situation arises, I talk about what I choose to eat, believe, vote for, etc. I don't hide my opinion I just don't go shouting it in everyones face all day, as it would severely piss me off if they did that to me.
Jinga is offline  
#28 Old 10-22-2004, 05:37 PM
Newbie
 
seagalaxy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2
on the front it will say, 1. No I don't eat meat, 2. Because I don't want to hurt animals.

and then on the back 3. here are the foods I eat...

that shirt would cover all the major questions I get everytime I mention that I am a vegetarian. With me it usually comes up at mealtime and I am explain evenhandedly and calmly. I answer all questions but I don't go on and on.

People always tell me how little meat they really eat. I am wondering who is actually eating all the meat consumed in America?

I get a little tired of the questions, thus the t-shirt. I think most people do feel a pang of conscience, thus their urge to explain how LITTLE they eat.

Others seem to want to challenge me until I back down (as if I will suddenly order a hamburger) and make all kinds of automatic assumptions about my politics etc.

My favorites are those who say, "I eat meat because dead animals taste good!" Uh huh, that might also be a good reason to shoot heroin, have rampant and wanton sex and chain-smoke. I also love, "The Bible says we are here on earth to dominate animals..."
seagalaxy is offline  
#29 Old 10-22-2004, 06:18 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Bunny Hugger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by seagalaxy View Post

on the front it will say, 1. No I don't eat meat, 2. Because I don't want to hurt animals.

and then on the back 3. here are the foods I eat...

..."





what a gr8 idea



but my shirt would say



On front: 1:im vegan



2:NO i dont eat chicken Or FISH



Back of shirt: 1:No i dont eat dairy



2: and NO i dont eat fish!
Bunny Hugger is offline  
#30 Old 10-22-2004, 06:20 PM
Beginner
 
Stey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 192
lol



yea why do so many people seem to think Fishes grow on trees???





Stey is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off