Overwhelmed! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Rad14
  • 1 Post By Evolotus

#1 Old 12-21-2020, 11:43 AM
Beginner

Unhappy Overwhelmed!

Hi, I have been a Vegetarian for 37 years. I live in Northern Ireland which, to say the least, isn't very veggie friendly.

However, I have always coped one way or the other. I have just finished watching the Doc. Vegan 2020 on Youtube, and although I thought it was very good, I find myself increasingly overwhelmed by the sheer numbers of animal torture and slaughter going on each year!

I know things are getting better and we now have Veganuary etc happening, but I find that people are still of the opinion that animals don't matter and after all, are here for us to eat, that's all! I suppose it's this time of year and the talk of turkey slaughter everywhere, plus vegans/vegetarians are saying that Covid 19 is caused by how we have mistreated the animals! If this is true I find the whole subject very distressing and disturbing.

Just wondered if others found it this way, and how you handle the gargantuan figures of animal destruction and the horror of continuing slaughter houses, plus the fact that humans are the root cause of this terrible virus

Probably should also have added, I'm the only vegetarian in my entire family and circle of friends!
Tom likes this.

Vegetarian since October 1983

Last edited by Rad14; 12-22-2020 at 08:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-24-2020, 12:42 PM

I'm sorry. Being vegan, and especially being vegan animal activists, comes with a huge helping of despair, helplessness, and overwhelm at times.

What you're feeling isn't uncommon. My husband and I have a blog and a couple of years ago my husband was going through something similar - so he reached out to his readers and asked them what they do to cope. Here are the replies, and there's some very interesting, helpful stuff.

http://thethinkingvegan.com/the-thin...-with-despair/

But being the lone veg, without social support, is not good for your soul either. Since meeting people in person isn't likely right now I strongly suggest finding some online communities where you can create a bit of a "culture" to not feel so isolated. The Veganuary FB page might be a place to start. There are a lot of FB groups for vegans who share a particular interest such as vegan business, vegan fashion, vegan gamers -- so if there's something you're passionate about do a search and see if anything pops up. There are of course hundreds of food/recipe groups too. This particular message board isn't too active unfortunately and it's not the same sense of community as FB where people can interact more or less in real time.

There's also Vegetarian and Vegan Northern Ireland, so who knows, maybe there's a circle of friends already out there waiting for you:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Vege...orthernIreland
#3 Old 12-26-2020, 10:06 AM
Beginner

Thank you Evolutus for your reply and help.
Also thanks for the links and suggestions, I was beginning to think I was on this forum by myself!

The link to the Thinking Vegan is particularly interesting.

Vegetarian since October 1983
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-13-2021, 02:25 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

@Evolotus has already given you lots of good information, so I'll mostly just say: Welcome!

I've been vegetarian since early 1972, and was pescatarian a few years before that. Even though vegetarianism and veganism are much more widespread than they formerly were, many of us don't know people in real life who share this passion with us. It's good to have a website like this, although as Evolotus mentions, it's not as active as it formerly was. You might try looking in the VeggieBoards "Local Forums" area to see if anything is going on in your area.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.

Last edited by Tom; 01-13-2021 at 02:28 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page