"Plant-based" vs. the "V" word - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-29-2019, 12:12 PM

Question "Plant-based" vs. the "V" word

What is the deal with vegetarian/vegan products now promoting themselves as "plant based"? Is the "V" word (whether "vegetarian" or "vegan") now considered offensive?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-01-2019, 06:39 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunestrider View Post
What is the deal with vegetarian/vegan products now promoting themselves as "plant based"? Is the "V" word (whether "vegetarian" or "vegan") now considered offensive?

This isn't anything new. The word "vegetarian" has long been associated (falsely or correctly) with a certain set of social/political beliefs. The term "plant-based" is more neutral.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#3 Old 11-02-2019, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
This isn't anything new. The word "vegetarian" has long been associated (falsely or correctly) with a certain set of social/political beliefs. The term "plant-based" is more neutral.

Unfortunately there isn't any real parameters for the term 'plant based'. It can mean anything from no animal products, to from what I've heard, egg or other animal based product. Just "mostly" plants. Doesn't make a bit of sense.

With all these documentaries coming out, scaring people with exagerrated claims, as well as those that are perfectly well researched, more people are interested in this way of eating without a care about ethics. A lot of people are looking down at vegans for consuming processed foods

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-03-2019, 06:12 AM

I have to agree that "plant based" has no real meaning in consumer products -- rather like "natural". As mentioned, but worth reiterating, it can mean anything from mostly plants to vegan. I think it's a marketing tool designed to trick people into thinking something is vegetarian or vegan when it's not.

I have a friend whose diet is plant-based. She still eats meat, but compared to her former eating habits, it's minimal. She's added a lot of vegetables and fruits (a lot!). Meat is almost (but not quite) a complement to her meals, rather than the focus. So, yes, I'd say her diet is plant-*based*, but not vegetarian. I'm confident she'll move into vegetarianism or veganism at some point.

I'm not a fan of ill- or un-defined words and phrases. They're tricky at best and outright lies at worst.
#5 Old Yesterday, 06:40 AM

A Plant Based diet has no meat including any kind of seafood, and no dairy products. Anyone eating meat or dairy is not eating a “plant based” diet. Further, most plant based dieters do not eat processed foods for the most part, including processed oils. In my mind the Plant Based dieters are true vegetarians.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#6 Old Yesterday, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
A Plant Based diet has no meat including any kind of seafood, and no dairy products. Anyone eating meat or dairy is not eating a “plant based” diet.
As others have also pointed out, "plant-based" has no real meaning except that which people choose to impart. I've seen products that proclaim they're "plant-based" but include gelatin, various animal fats and other things.

Quote:
Further, most plant based dieters do not eat processed foods for the most part, including processed oils.
I've never heard this, at all, ever, in my 30+ years as a vegetarian-->vegan. Perhaps it's true of health veg*ns, but not necessarily of ethical veg*ns. I suppose there's a distinction to be made between "dieters" and those whose entire lifestyles are kindness-based.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in