VeggieBoards banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burger King's Impossible Burger caveat

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  FredericLavender 
#1 ·
"Vegetarians beware: Burger King’s Impossible Whopper comes with an asterisk

Despite being made with a plant-based Impossible Foods patty, Burger King’s Impossible Whoppers, which hit nationwide menus on Thursday, will be cooked in the same broiler as the chain’s beef and chicken offerings unless a customer requests otherwise."

Yeah, I'm sure they're going to clean a special grill for a customer that doesn't want his Impossible Burger fried in beef grease. Yessiree.

#2 ·
"Vegetarians beware: Burger King's Impossible Whopper comes with an asterisk

Despite being made with a plant-based Impossible Foods patty, Burger King's Impossible Whoppers, which hit nationwide menus on Thursday, will be cooked in the same broiler as the chain's beef and chicken offerings unless a customer requests otherwise."

Yeah, I'm sure they're going to clean a special grill for a customer that doesn't want his Impossible Burger fried in beef grease. Yessiree.
We vegetarians aren't really the primary consumers of plant-based burgers. According to Impossible Foods (makers of the Impossible Burger), about 95% of people who order plant-based burgers are omnivores: https://www.self.com/story/impossible-burger-beyond-meat . This is a good thing - we want people to eat less meat and more plants.

Reactions: Tom
#3 ·
Most restaurants that offer vegan options probably don't use vegan/vegetarian dedicated cookware, or clean their surfaces every time, and never have. If vegans start asking for that, they may be less likely to serve vegan options and it'd be a significant net loss, for animals. Restaurant managers may give up trying, with a disgust for "fussy vegans".

The Impossible Burger is a major step in the right direction, but in my opinion, because it was tested on rats, which were later killed and their remains studied, it's not quite vegan enough for me. It may be a good option for omnivores trying to be more humane, or vegans who are more "pragmatic". I'm trying to see the half-full glass in it, even though I chose to abstain myself.

#6 ·
Reactions: king_alkaline
#7 ·
I had an Impossible Whopper within the past week or two. I thought it was good, although more expensive than BK's other veggie burger (which I think is made with a Morningstar Farms patty). Granted, it's probably not health food.

Reactions: David3 and JesseG
#10 ·
"Vegetarians beware: Burger King's Impossible Whopper comes with an asterisk

Despite being made with a plant-based Impossible Foods patty, Burger King's Impossible Whoppers, which hit nationwide menus on Thursday, will be cooked in the same broiler as the chain's beef and chicken offerings unless a customer requests otherwise."

I heard this too in my local newspaper. Can anyone confirm if this is true?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.