5Likes
  • 1 Post By David3
  • 1 Post By David3
  • 2 Post By Tom
  • 1 Post By JesseG

#1 Old 08-06-2019, 10:14 AM

Burger King's Impossible Burger caveat

"Vegetarians beware: Burger King’s Impossible Whopper comes with an asterisk

Despite being made with a plant-based Impossible Foods patty, Burger King’s Impossible Whoppers, which hit nationwide menus on Thursday, will be cooked in the same broiler as the chain’s beef and chicken offerings unless a customer requests otherwise."

Yeah, I'm sure they're going to clean a special grill for a customer that doesn't want his Impossible Burger fried in beef grease. Yessiree.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-06-2019, 06:44 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunestrider View Post
"Vegetarians beware: Burger King’s Impossible Whopper comes with an asterisk

Despite being made with a plant-based Impossible Foods patty, Burger King’s Impossible Whoppers, which hit nationwide menus on Thursday, will be cooked in the same broiler as the chain’s beef and chicken offerings unless a customer requests otherwise."

Yeah, I'm sure they're going to clean a special grill for a customer that doesn't want his Impossible Burger fried in beef grease. Yessiree.

We vegetarians aren't really the primary consumers of plant-based burgers. According to Impossible Foods (makers of the Impossible Burger), about 95% of people who order plant-based burgers are omnivores: https://www.self.com/story/impossibl...er-beyond-meat . This is a good thing - we want people to eat less meat and more plants.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#3 Old 08-15-2019, 11:35 AM

Most restaurants that offer vegan options probably don't use vegan/vegetarian dedicated cookware, or clean their surfaces every time, and never have. If vegans start asking for that, they may be less likely to serve vegan options and it'd be a significant net loss, for animals. Restaurant managers may give up trying, with a disgust for "fussy vegans".

The Impossible Burger is a major step in the right direction, but in my opinion, because it was tested on rats, which were later killed and their remains studied, it's not quite vegan enough for me. It may be a good option for omnivores trying to be more humane, or vegans who are more "pragmatic". I'm trying to see the half-full glass in it, even though I chose to abstain myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-16-2019, 06:15 AM

Excellent comments, James.

And FWIW, I've tried that Impossible Burger (not at BK) and found it inedible. There are better veggie burgers out there. But if it gets people to eat fewer animals, it likely makes them think. And thinking often leads to becoming veg*n.
#5 Old 08-17-2019, 04:05 PM

GMO MSG burger fried in beef grease is disgusting concept having no redeeming value for vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike.
#6 Old 08-17-2019, 07:17 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by po90260 View Post
GMO MSG burger fried in beef grease is disgusting concept having no redeeming value for vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike.

The Impossible Burger does contain GMO soy, but it doesn't contain any MSG (monosodium glutamate): https://faq.impossiblefoods.com/hc/e...e-ingredients-

The Impossible Burger contains no animal flesh. If people choose to eat a non-meat burger (albeit with some incidental beef grease) instead of a meat burger (which is 100% beef flesh and grease), isn't this an improvement?
king_alkaline likes this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#7 Old 08-22-2019, 03:54 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

I had an Impossible Whopper within the past week or two. I thought it was good, although more expensive than BK's other veggie burger (which I think is made with a Morningstar Farms patty). Granted, it's probably not health food.
David3 and JesseG like this.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#8 Old 08-25-2019, 11:52 AM

Saw this on their website. I think it is best to request the non-broiler method of preparation. They actually have that option. I tried it myself and I think it's delicious and worth every dime since it's more expensive than their usual burger.
David3 likes this.
#9 Old 09-08-2019, 06:06 PM

Do you think the non-broiler method might be microwaving?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page